Generally, Windows Update is a service that provides updates for Microsoft software, which include the Windows Operating System. However, during the process of update, Windows might generate various error among which error code 0x80073712 is one of the most common ones. This error indicates that there are some damaged and missing files that are required by Windows to perform the update. As a result, Windows is unable to complete the update task. Moreover, this error is also caused due to the incomplete or interrupted installation of the software.
So, if you are among the ones who are facing error 0x80073712, do not panic. Fortunately, there are numerous ways to solve the problem and in this guide, we are going to have a detailed discussion on it.
Possible Fixes for Windows Update Error 0x80073712 that You Can Try Out
We understand that without thorough technical know-how, it is not possible for you to resolve the problem on your own. This is why we are providing some of the reliable and amazing hacks to fix error code 0x80073712. Hence, without further delay, follow the under-mentioned steps accurately.
Fix 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
As Windows update troubleshooter is one of the most effective tools, hence, you can use it to solve various Windows update issues. Therefore, follow the steps given below.
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then type troubleshoot.
- Next, click on Troubleshoot.
- Click Windows Update
- Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions that come onscreen to troubleshoot.
- Then, restart your computer.
- Lastly, try Windows Update again to check that the problem is fixed or not.
Fix 2: Run the SFC Scan
System File Checker (SFC) is another handy feature in Windows. This helps to scan your system files and repairs the corrupted or missing system files. This is why it might help you to resolve the error. So, to run the SFC scan, follow these steps.
- Hit the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then type cmd.
- Now, right click on the Command Prompt option
- Click on Run as administrator.
- When prompted click Yes to confirm.
- Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt window and hit the Enter key.
- This process might take a few minutes, so please be patient.
- Lastly, restart your computer and check if the error 0x80073712 still persists or not.
Fix 3: Delete the Windows Update Cache
Another effective way to fix Windows update error 0x80073712 is by deleting all the Windows update cache. Hence, follow as instructed below:
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
- Then, copy & paste services.msc in the Run box that opens and then click on OK.
- Now, Scroll down to the bottom, and then right-click on Windows Update.
- Then, click on the Stop button.
- Again, Press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then copy & paste “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” in the Run box and hit the Enter key.
- Now, right-click on Ctrl and A at the same time.
- Then to pop up a menu, right-click and select Delete.
- When prompted to provide administrator permission, look for the box before and click Continue.
- Right-click on the Windows Update by heading over to the Services window, and click Start.
- Lastly, restart your computer to check whether the problem is resolved or not.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned methods are workable and effective for you in order to fix windows update error code: (0x80073712). Follow the instructions carefully and perform the fixes to get fruitful results. But if you are still facing an issue, look for professional help. Any professional who has experience in this field can guide you in the best way possible. Moreover, you can also share your feedback with us.