In this era of advanced technology, Windows 10 is one of the most usable Operating Systems used by several users throughout the globe. This version of Windows comes with a lot of improvements over Windows 8.1 in various regards. Windows update is one of the enhanced features of Windows 10 which provides better support in security and stability of your computer. But, it is not free from occasional flaws. The error 0x800705b4 is a common error faced by Windows users while installing the update.
The users shouldn’t neglect such issues even though it looks like no big deal. But it can crash or slow down the system or even it results in data loss if it is not solved. If you also face the same error, then nothing to get worried about this. Here in this article, you will get some amazing tricks with a step-by-step guide which can help you to fix this frequently occuring issue. Hence, you are advised to have a glance at the article given below.
What Causes the Windows Update Error 0x800705b4?
Before going to perform the troubleshooting methods, it’s essential to find out the probable reasons behind the error code 0x800705b4. It has also become easy to solve an issue when you know the root cause behind it. Hence, have a look at the probable causes pointed below:
- Sometimes, the Operating system failed to update automatically and results in this error.
- If there are any corrupted or damaged system files on the system, then it might be the reason behind this issue.
- If the update service is not configured as an automatic update, then you can face this error.
- Due to the registry errors, you can also face this issue.
- When your computer is affected by malware or virus, then you can encounter this error.
Now, you are aware of the root causes behind this issue. So, you need to compare the above reasons with your current situation and identify the specific cause. Now, you just need some effective hacks to fix this error.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Fix the Windows Update 0x800705b4 Error:
There are a lot of ways to fix the Windows update error 0x800705b4. Hence, you need to stick to the troubleshooting methods provided below:
Procedure 1: Using Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is an in-built troubleshooting tool of Windows Operating System that can help you to fix the error related with the Windows update service. Hence, you need to run this tool by performing the steps as follows:
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and tap on the Start logo.
- Then, type ‘troubleshoot’ in the search box and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to launch the result.
- Look at the left side of the current Window. There you will see the ‘View All’ option. Tap on it.
- As a result, it will open a list. Scroll down the list and select the ‘Windows Update’ option from there.
- On the next Window, tap on the ‘Advanced’ option and then click on the Next button.
- Again, tap on the ‘Advanced’ option. Then, choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option to run this with administrator privileges.
- Now, you need to make sure that you have checked the box that prompts ‘Apply repairs automatically.’ Tap on the Next button.
- Tap on the Close button to complete this process, or if you wish to check more details regarding this issue, then tap on the ‘View detailed information’ option.
- Now, close the window and restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you should try to update the Operating System to check that the error 0x800705b4 has been fixed or not. If the issue persists, then move on to further solutions.
Procedure 2: Remove the Software Distribution Folder from the System
The Software Distribution folder contains some files that tend to get damaged pretty easily and it might be the reason behind showing this error. Hence, you should try to fix the error code 0x800705b4 by deleting the Software Distribution folder from your computer. To perform this, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, navigate to the Start menu.
- Then, you need to type ‘command prompt’ in the search field.
- As a result, it will show the Command Prompt option. Right-click on it.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to run the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Now, you have to type the commands given below. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard after each command to run them.
1st: Typenet stop bits
2nd: net stop wuauservCD %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
3rd: Ren Download Download.old
4th: net start wuauserv
5th: net start bits
- Now, it will delete the Software Distribution folder from the system. Exit from the Command Prompt window and restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you should try to update the Window to check whether the error 0x800705b4 still persists or not. If you see that the issue still appears, then perform the solutions discussed below.
Procedure 3: Disable the Update for Other Microsoft Product
Sometimes, the updates of the Microsoft products might also prevent you to download the essential updates. To solve this, you have to turn off this feature until you have installed the Windows update. After that, you can enable it again. To disable this, you should perform the steps provided below:
- At first, go to the Start menu and then type ‘Check for updates’ in the search field. Tap on the search result.
- Tap on the gear-shaped Settings tab and then go to the Advanced options.
- Now, you have to uncheck the ‘Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows’ box.
- Next, you have to restart the device and then try to run the updates again. If it runs successfully, then you have to run the update more than one times to get all the updates. Now, again you have to go back to the Advanced sections and re-enable the updates for the Microsoft products.
But, if you are still unable to run the update, then go to the solutions discussed further.
Procedure 4: Restart the Components of the Windows Update
According to some Microsoft experts, error code 0x800705b4 might also appear due to the corruption of Windows update components. Most of the time, this error occurs when a user tries to upgrade their OS to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 instead of performing a clean installation of the system. To fix such issues, you should restart the Windows update components by performing the steps as follows:
At first, you have to hit the X and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard. As a result, it will show the ‘Command Prompt’ option. Right-click on it. Now, choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option to launch the Command Prompt window with admin privilege.
Next, you have to type the commands given below. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard after each command to execute them.
1st: net stop bits
2nd: net stop wuauserv
3rd: net stop appidsvc
4th: net stop cryptsvc
After you have closed the related services, the next step is to remove a particular file. Hence, type the command ‘Del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr* .dat’ on the command line. Then, hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command. After that, you have to run the next command ‘cd /d %windir%\system32.’
Now, you have to restart all the Microsoft Windows Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). Type the commands given below. Don’t forget to press the Enter key to run them.
1st: regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
2nd: regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
3rd: regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
4th: regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
5th: regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
6th: regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
7th: regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
8th: regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
9th: regsvr32.exe wups.dll
10th: regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
11th: regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
12th: regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
13th: regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
14th: regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
15th: regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
16th: regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
Now, restart the Winshock by running the command ‘netsh winsock reset.’ Next, you have to restart the services that you stopped in Step 2. Type the commands given below to start the stopped services. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard after each command.
1st: net start bits
2nd: net start wuauserv
3rd: net start appidsvc
4th: net start cryptsvc
Now, you have to exit from the Command Prompt window. Restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you need to try to download the latest update to check whether the error is resolved is not. If you see that the issue still persists, then go to the methods given below.
Procedure 5: Perform the SFC (System File Checker) and DISM Scan
SFC is an in-built tool of Windows Operating System that helps the users to scan the system files of the computer. System File Checker also has the ability to fix the damaged system files. Hence, you should try this method to check if it can fix the error code 0x800705b4. Here are the steps to run the System File Checker:
- At first, launch the Command Prompt with the admin privilege by implementing steps in the above discussion.
- Then, you have to type the command ‘sfc/scannow’ on the Command Prompt window.
- Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command.
- Now, you have to wait for a few seconds until the SFC scans the system files as well as repairs them.
But, if the System File Checker is unable to fix the error, then you need to run the DISM scan. To run the DISM scan, you just need to type the command ‘DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’ on the Command Prompt window. Then, run the command by pressing the Enter key from the keyboard. Wait for a few minutes until this process finishes.
After that, you should try to run the update to check if it solves the problem or not. If you see that the error is still unresolved, then move on to the further procedures.
Procedure 6: Deactivate the Third-party Firewall or Antivirus
According to some users, they have fixed the error by disabling the third-party firewall or antivirus program from their system. Sometimes, the third-party firewall or antivirus software might be clashing with the download of Windows Update. Hence, you need to disable them at least for a few times to check if it can fix the issue. To disable this, at first, you have to move the cursor to the taskbar and right-click on the antivirus icon. Now, choose the ‘Disable’ option from the list to deactivate the antivirus program on your computer. Now, try to update the system. If it still not running, then enable the antivirus program by choosing the ‘Enable’ option and go for the next method stated below.
Procedure 7: Change the Settings of the Windows Update Service
Sometimes the error 0x800705b4 can also appear due to the Windows update settings. To solve this issue, you should change some of the Windows Update settings by performing the steps mentioned below:
- At first, you have to hit the I and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard.
- It will open the Settings application.
- Now, you have to go to the ‘Update & Security’ section.
- Tap on the Advanced options.
- Turn off the ‘Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows’ option.
- Close the window and restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you should try to download the latest update to check whether the error has been resolved.
In the above post, we have provided some of the easiest ways to fix the Windows update error 0x800705b4. Hope that if you perform the above ways in their given order, then it will definitely help you to put an end to this bug. After successfully performing the above methods, if you still not able to fix the error or face any kind of trouble, then you need to connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this post.