Like any Operating System, Windows 10 also has some technical glitches that severely hampers the work of the users. Windows 10 running slow is one of the most annoying issues that are fairly common in occurrence.
Due to multiple reasons, the users may face the same problem in their Windows 10 device. In case, the users watch videos or play games for a long time, then there is a chance of encountering the same problem.
If your device got damaged due to virus or malware attack or if there is not enough space, then this might lead to the same error in your device.
Apart from that, if your device is filled with unnecessary applications or if the Pagefile size is not configured properly, then this is also equally responsible for the device slow down problem.
Exceptional Methods to Overcome Windows 10 Running Slow Issue:
We recommend you to know the reasons before going to the solution part. Just follow the discussed methods properly and execute them exactly in the same manner as stated below.
Fix 1: Check the Memory and Usage
In case, if your device does not have enough space, then there is a chance of getting the same issue on your device.
In such a case, you have to check the free space in your device and if needed, then remove some files and applications as well.
- To do so, at first, you have to choose the Task Manager by tapping the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete button at the same time on your keyboard.
- After that, choose the Performance tab and launch the Memory by opening the Task Manager.
- Then, you need to check the memory usage of your Windows 10.
Here you can see how much RAM is being used by checking the graph. Also, review the total allocated space.
In case, you find that there is not enough memory, then free up some space by opening up the Resource Monitor and end up some process.
In order to end up, you need to right-click on it and tap on the End process.
Fix 2: Turn Off Unnecessary Startup Programs
There are a number of applications that run automatically when you switch on your computer.
In such instances disabling these applications can help you to get rid of the Windows 10 running very slow issue at a moment.
When two or more applications are running behind the Operating System, then it tends to slow down the performance of the system.
- To do the same, at first, you need to navigate to the Settings option and then launch the Apps icon by tapping on it.
- After that, click on the Startup option by choosing the Start button.
- Here you need to set the applications automatically by finding the program you desired to stop.
- Finally, check if you are facing the slow running of Windows 10 issue or not.
Fix 3: Modify the Pagefile Size
The pagefile is saved in the root folder of the Windows drive until you set the device to show the hidden files you will not be able to see the pagefile as well.
When your device slows down, then it moves the memory to the pagefile.sys for running the device smoothly.
On such an occasion, changing the size of the pagefile can help you to solve the issue without any trouble.
- The first and foremost thing you need to do is to type “performance” in the Run dialog box that can be found at the bottom left of the desktop.
- After that, tap on the “Adjust the Appearance” option and Performance of Windows in the pop-up list.
- Then, navigate to the Advanced tab and hit on the Change button.
- Next, uncheck the small box that is located next to “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” icon.
- Here you just need to focus on the drive where the Windows 10 was installed.
- After that, choose Select Custom size and then also modify the Initial size and Maximum size to the Recommended size.
- Once done, tap on the Set button and next click on OK.
Finally, reboot your Windows 10 device and review if you are still encountering the same issue or not.
Fix 4: Remove the Unnecessary and Temporary Files
First of all, you need to navigate to the Start menu and right-click on it. From there, select the Run icon and click on it.
Now, type the following command and tap on the Enter key as well. “%temp%.” You will see that a folder will open with a number of files.
Choose everything in it and tap on the Delete icon for removing the unnecessary files.
Again, go to the Run option by right-clicking on Start Button. Now, type “temp” and hit on OK. After that, again a folder will appear along with a dialog box. Here, click on the Continue button as well as select all the files in it and delete them.
Again, open Run and type “prefetch” and tap on OK. From the next tab, you need to tap on Continue. Finally, select all the files in it, and delete them.
Keep waiting while the deletion is going on. It is recommended not to shut down the device during the process.
Fix 5: Clear up Memory
If the above methods are not enough to mitigate the issue, then clear up memory can fix it completely.
Hence, move to the File Explorer and just right-click on your C drive. Else, where you have installed your Windows 10.
After that, you need to select the Properties option from there. Now, a General tab will open on the display with a Disk Cleanup option.
Just tap on it and allow it for scanning the files properly. A new tab will open and from there, you need to tap on the Clean up System files option and it will scan again.
After the scan is completed, the Disk Cleanup window will launch. Now, tap on the Ok button and let the process to clean the unnecessary files from your system.
There exist a problem with each Windows 10 update. Hence, permanent closure of the Windows 10 update can solve the issue. So, disable the Automatic update option.
We hope that the entire guide will be beneficial for you in order to fix the computer running slow Windows 10 issue. But if you are still getting this problem, then seek help from an expert.
If you are not a tech-savvy person, then a professional will help to solve the problem. For more tech-related posts, keep following our website.