If you are using Windows 10 operating system, then sometimes you may face problems with Windows 10 desktop icons missing. This is one of the most annoying issues for users. You may think that the problem appears due to corruption within the Windows 10 Operating System. But, the main reason for this issue is a misconfiguration. There are two modes available in the Windows operating system: one is Desktop mode and other is Tablet mode. The problem may occur if you accidentally turned On the tablet mode.
If you are dealing with this kind of situation, then this guide is for you. Here, in this article, we are going to discuss the methods that can help you to fix your problem. So, let’s start to read the entire article to know the details about the problem and solve it.
Troubleshoot Desktop Icons Missing Windows 10 with Easy Hacks
Here, in this part of the article, we are going to discuss the steps that can help you to fix your problem with desktop icons missing Windows 10. Go through the methods that we have mentioned in this guide.
Solution 1: Turn On the Show Desktop Icon
To get rid of the desktop icons missing Windows 10 error, at first, you should turn On the “show desktop icon”. Here are the steps that can help you to turn On the feature.
At first, you need to right-click on the computer screen, then click on the View option. Then, click on the “Show desktop icons” and verify it. After that, check if the problem is resolved or not. If the problem recurs then move to the next alternative solution listed below.
Solution 2: Verify the Desktop Icon Settings
Check the Desktop icon Settings of your computer to fix the issue. The steps that are mentioned in the upcoming part of the article, will help you to do so.
- At first, right-click on your computer screen and click on the Personalize option.
- After that, click on the Themes option from the appearing list. Then, select the Desktop Icon settings.
- Thereafter, click on those icons that you want to view on your desktop and click on the OK button.
- Once you have done with the steps that we have mentioned in the earlier part of the article, now check if the desktop icons are showing in your computer or not.
Solution 3: Rebuild Icon Cache
You can try the steps that we have mentioned in the following part of the article, to fix the issue.
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom of the left side of your computer screen and click on the Start button.
- Then, write down Command Prompt and click on the named option from the appearing list of results.
- After that, click on the ‘Run as administrator’ option. And write down the commands which are followed by. And press the Enter button after inserting each of the commands:
“taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe”, “cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local”, “attrib –h IconCache.db”, “del IconCache.db” and “start explorer.exe”.
Now, check the system to see if the Windows 10 desktop icons missing problem still appears or not.
Solution 4: Run the System Restore
You can fix the problem by performing the System Restoration method. If the steps are unknown to you, then the following steps will help you to do so.
- At first, go to the Windows search box and write down “recovery” and hit the Enter button.
- Then, click on the Open System Restore option from the Recovery section.
- After that, click on the Choose a different restore point option and select the Next button.
- Thereafter, move on to the checkbox which is located beside “Show more restore points” option. After that, you will find a list of ‘restore points’. Here, you will find all the backups files of your computer. Then, click on a Restore Point.
Once you are done with the steps that we have mentioned in the previous part of the article, click on the Next button. Then, select the Finish option to complete the task.
Solution 5: Reset the Computer
If none of the methods from the above part of the article helped you to resolve desktop icons missing Windows 10 issue, then, you should try to reset your computer. Follow the steps that are written below.
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom of the left corner of your computer and click on the Start button. Then, click on the Settings option.
- After that, click on the “Update and Security” option, then select the Recovery option.
- Then, go to the “Reset this PC” section and click on the Get Started button, then follow the onscreen guidance.
Finally, you will note that the desktop icons are again visible on Windows 10.
Through this guidance, we have discussed all the possible solutions that can help you to get rid of the Windows 10 desktop icons missing problem. If you have any more queries regarding this topic, then you can comment in the feedback section.