When you try to connect your device to the internet, then you might be stuck sometimes while obtaining the IP. This is one of the most annoying issues for the users. You can face this problem especially in all the versions of the Android Operating System. Moreover, your device may fail to avail the network connection even after entering a correct Wi-Fi pass code. Then, you can see the unexpected error message, “Connecting…”, “Obtaining IP address” or “Obtaining IP address from”, etc. Sometimes, it appears like “Failed to obtain IP Address” that goes on an infinite loop. As a result, you won’t be able to get the internet connection and consequently you are unable to access most of the online apps. However, we are going to talk about some of the necessary steps to tackle this annoying problem very effectively.
Significant Issues behind “Wi-Fi failed to obtain IP Address” Problem
There are ample issues involved to create major IP related issues like “Wi-Fi failed to obtain IP address”. In this section, we are talking about those critical reasons that are harmful for this annoying issue:
- Router glitches can create the obtaining IP address problem very often. If any settings error is found in the wireless device, then it can’t recognize the IP and create this critical error.
- Any problem regarding a wireless interference make a problem to create a fair network connection.
- Another reason for the IP address recognizing is faulty wireless security settings and it is harmful for your device when it is connected to a network.
- For some of the devices, MAC address is set in the black-list and it is one of the main valid reasons for IP address obtaining issue.
- A software conflict in a router as well as in a connected device is a barrier for creating a smooth network connectivity.
Resolve the “Failed to obtain IP Address” Effectively with a Few Steps
Some of the effective ways to help you to overcome the IP conflicts immediately. Moreover, it helps to remove all the network issues related to the IP address very quickly. Here, we are going to some of the necessary steps to get rid of the Wi-Fi failed to obtain IP address problem without any hassle:
Process 1: Remove and add the Network again
Many times, removing the network from your device and adding it again becomes an effective method to fix the Wi-Fi failed to obtain IP address issue. This method will force to reconfigure the router automatically and will help to assign a new IP address:
- First, press the Windows key from the keyboard and choose Settings from the Start menu.
- Now, click on Wi-Fi icon from the Settings window.
- After that, tap the option for a long period and select the Forgot Password option underneath it.
- Next, enable the network again and enter a correct passcode to reconnect it.
- Finally, try to launch a web page and check whether it is working or not.
Process 2: Set Device into Airplane Mode and Return Again
It is a temporary procedure to fix the IP address recognizing issue quickly. It also forces to reconfigure the network settings by tapping on the router:
- First, go to Settings window and locate the Airplane Mode/Flight Mode option from that page.
- Next, move the slider to the ON position and wait for 10-15 seconds.
- Finally, disable it again to set it in the OFF and verify whether the annoying message ” Failed to obtain IP address” appears after connecting your device to the internet.
Process 3: Reduce the Distance between the Router and the Device
You need to reduce the distance between the router and the device first. Make sure that your router is placed geographically in the middle of your house or apartments. Moreover, any barriers such as pillars, walls or any big metal object should not be present between the device and router. Place the router in such a way that you can avail the strong Wi-Fi signal.
Process 4: Assign a Static IP Address
If your device fails to obtain the IP address correctly, then you can assign a new one yourself. Remember that, you must modify the router settings whenever you switch to other networks:
- Click on the Start button and select Settings from the Start menu to open the Settings window.
- Now, click on the Wi-Fi icon and refuse the connection by pressing on the network for a long time.
- Next, tap on Modify Network and make sure that Show Advanced options box is checked.
- After that, change the IP Settings to Static mode.
- Modify the last octet digits with any numbers from 10 to 255 in the IP address field.
- Hit the Save button and confirm that new address is different from the one that you already have.
- When done, try to connect your device and resolve the IP obtain failed issue quickly.
Process 5: Perform a Malware Wipe
Before resetting the router, you need to remove the malware, spyware, like major virus-threats from your device. After that, reconfigure the router plays a crucial role to fix the WiFi failed to obtain IP address efficiently:
- Download an antivirus software from a trustworthy website and install it with the latest version in your system.
- After a successful installation, open the app by double-tapping on it. Tap on Scan Now button and give it time to finish the malware removing process.
- Now, go to Settings and click on Backup and Reset from the device Settings window.
- Before performing the factory reset process, create a backup by tapping on Backup my data. It will help to recover all the erased data without any modification.
- Then, tap on Factory Data Reset and click the Reset service option.
- By tapping the Erase Everything and take a while to complete the app removing process.
- Now, reboot the Windows in normal mode and check to see if the device is able to connect to the Wi-Fi network or not.
Process 6: Reboot the Android Device and Restart the Wireless Device
Most of the router has the web-based configuration that you can access via web browsers. Therefore, a default gateway is used to connect the router web configuration. So, by resetting the android device and wireless connection, you can resolve the problem very easily. To perform it, you can follow the steps below and fix the IP conflicts issue immediately:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard and type “cmd” in the search box to locate the Command Prompt.
- Right-click on it and open the window in Admin Mode by tapping the Run as Administrator option.
- After verifying the Admin account, type the command “ipconfig” inside the newly opened Command Prompt window.
- Locate the LAN adapter Wi-Fi and copy the Default Gateway IP from the field. Now, paste it into the browser address bar and hit the Enter key to open the Router setup page.
- Here, you are asked to login the router by entering the correct credentials and go to the Wireless Administrator page.
- After going to the web-based application of the router, check the router settings properly. After that, click on the Restart button under the System Tools section and wait for a few minutes to reboot the wireless device.
- Then, close all the running applications and reboot the System in Normal mode.
- Finally, connect to the Wi-Fi network again and check whether the device manager can obtain the IP address properly or not.
Process 7: Set WPA2-PSK
Some of the System or android device won’t perform well with some of the WPA encryption methods. If technical glitches may occur with the AES or TKIP encryption, then modify it with the familiar one to the device:
- Go to the Router web interface by entering the correct Router Admin credentials. Now, open the Wireless Security Settings window. In the case of some routers, you can find the Wireless Security option under the WLAN Settings .
- However, check the encryption settings and see which encrypts the router users. If it is set as AES, then replace it with TKIP. Similarly, if TKIP is selected, then change it to AES.
- Now, click on the Save button and close the Router settings window.
- Next, go to the Settings option from the Start menu. In case of the Android device, open the gallery and tap on the gear icon.
- Then, click on Wi-Fi icon and press on it for a long time. After that, tap on the Forgot Network option next to the Wi-Fi option.
- Finally, reconnect the device to the wireless router and try to connect to the network to verify whether the unexpected error message “Failed to obtain IP address” still appears on the display or not.
Process 8: Disable the MAC Filter
Most of the times, it has been seen that the virus affects the device and it becomes a problem especially for an android device. Make sure that your MAC filter is free from the virus infection and reset the router by disabling the filter mode is an effective way to resolve it permanently:
- After logging the Router web interface, click on the Security tab and expand it.
- Now, check the MAC filter status and disable filter if it is activated by removing tick from the check box.
- Hit the Save button and apply new changes. After that, go to the Wi-Fi settings from your device again and click on Forgot network by tapping your wireless network.
- Then, enter the correct details and connect the device to the network again. If the IP address recognition problem got fixed, then go back to the Security tab from the Router Settings page and re-enable the MAC Filter option.
- Finally, recover the filter mode from the blacklist and your device will appear on the available network lists. Tpa on the Save button and apply new changes to examine whether the Wi-Fi failed to obtain ip address like major issue got resolved or not.
Wrapping It Up
In the above article, we have discussed the effective methods to overcome the WiFi failed to obtain IP address problem. Besides this, we have defined the significant reasons responsible for this annoying issue. Therefore, you can easily identify the network connection issue and its critical factors at a very initial stage. So, we hope this content will be very helpful to fix the IP address conflicts quickly.