Steam is a specific program used by numerous gamers all over the world. At times, Steam says the game is running even after you stop playing. As a result, Steam does not run properly and prevents you from playing other games. There are many reasons responsible for this issue. The problem arises when the previous game does not close properly or you forgot to exit from the game. Also, outdated Video Driver, compatibility issue, etc can cause this glitch. The most annoying is that you fail to play all your favorite games, including the Spider Solitaire Masters Card Game.
Therefore, if you are in the same situation and want an appropriate solution in order to resolve the issue, then this article will be helpful for you. Hence, follow these effective hacks and apply them accordingly to troubleshoot the issue.
Appropriate Fixes for Steam Says the Game is Running but Actually not
You get frustrated and feel confused when Steam says the game is running, then you have landed on the right page. Simply, go through this article and apply them accordingly in order to fix the issue without any trouble. Hence, take a glance.
Fix 1: Make Sure the Windows is Up-to-Date
‘Steam says the game is running but it isn’t’ requires an updated version of Windows Operating System. Hence, you need to check what version of the OS you are using currently. If an update is available, then go for it.
- At first, press the Start button and type ‘update’ in the search box. Hit the Enter key to open it.
- Now, click on the Check for Updates option from the result.
- Press on the Check for Updates option to check if an update is available.
- If yes, then download the version and install it on your device. After successfully installing the latest version, restart the system and check whether the problem gets solved or not. Otherwise, move to the next section.
Fix 2: Update the Video Driver
After updating the Operating System, if you are getting Steam says the game is running when it’s not, you need to check the version of Video Driver. To download the latest version, you need to perform the following section.
- At first, press the Start button and type ‘device manager’ in the search box. Then, hit the Enter key to open up the Device Manager window.
- In the Device Manager tab, you will find all the installed application. Locate the Video Driver from the list and right-click on it.
- Select Check for Updates option from the drop-down menu. It will automatically download the latest version and install the updated version on your device.
- When you are done with the steps, restart the system and check whether the problems still exits.
Fix 3: Delete Game’s Cache Files
Stored game cache files might prevent the game from running. Hence, you need to delete the game’s cache files from your device. To do this, follow the steps that are mentioned in the section below.
- At first, restart the system and try to run Steam. After that, move to the Library section and right-click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear on the system screen. Now, select the Properties option from the list.
- Now, press on the Verify Integrity Of Game Files option from Local Files. When the system files validate, a small window will appear on the system’s screen.
- At last, restart the system and then run the Game on Steam to check whether it is working properly or not.
Fix 4: Close Unnecessary Programs
Sometimes, some unnecessary programs running in the background might cause this issue. Hence, you need to close all the unnecessary programs that are running in the background. After closing the programs, restart the system and then try to launch the game on Steam. Check whether the issue still persists or not.
Fix 5: Turn off Possible Compatibility
The Steam-related problem might be solved after changing the compatibility mode for the client. But, it has also counter-effects. Now, here is the process of how to do that.
- At first, move to the Steam folder and search for the Steam application files. Right-click on it and select the Properties option.
- After that, open the Compatibility tab on your device. Uncheck all the boxes except Run as administrator tab.
Click the Save button to apply the changes. Restart the Steam client and check whether the problem still exists or not.
Fix 6: Uninstall and Reinstall the Steam
If the above solutions do not help you to resolve the issue, then the last option that you need to try is to uninstall Steam and install it again. This process surely helps you to eliminate the error. To do that, you should walk through the following section.
- At first, Exit from the Steam and close it. After that, move to folder C:\Program Files\Steam (or custom location).
- Further, head over the Control Panel option and then navigate to the Add or Remove Programs option.
- Find out the Steam from the list and right-click on it. Select Change or Remove button and click on the Automatic option from the list.
- It automatically uninstalls Steam from your device. When you are done with this, restart the system.
- Now, open the system and visit the official website to download the latest version of Steam. Select a folder to download Steam.
- After that, open the folder and extract the .zip files. Now, you will find the Set up option from the list. Click on it to get the new version of Steam.
However, these are the solutions in order to fix the Steam says the game is running issue but the actual scenario is different. Try these methods and you will be able to solve the issue without any difficulties. Alternatively, you can check whether an updated version of Steam is available or not. If yes, then before uninstalling the Steam, update it once.
Furthermore, if you are having any problem with the steps while applying them, you can share them in the comment section below.