Occasionally, while updating the Windows Operating System or adding some new applications to the device, you receive an error notification. It says “cannot start Microsoft Outlook.”
The primary reason behind this error is a damaged Outlook profile. When the Outlook storage file gets corrupted, it can occur.
Besides, improper installation of Outlook can be another potential cause behind this error. Some of the affected users have reported that they find this issue due to the corrupted .PST files.
Once the error pops up on the display, users find that their device runs slow as well as periodically freezes.
Though these issues are undesirable yet there are some easy solutions. Therefore, if you ever encounter this error while opening your Outlook profile, then you can go through the entire article and overcome this issue.
Resolve “Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook” Error Instantly
There can be a lot of ways by which you can easily get rid of this error. But, here, in this section, we are going to mention some of the excellent methods that are tried and tested by our experts.
Therefore, do not hesitate to perform these methods and implement them in the same order as instructed to get the fruitful result.
Procedure 1: Use Safe Mode
Sometimes, when you try to access your device, it freezes or creates different error codes along with error messages.
In such situations, the most effective solution is to use Outlook in Safe Mode. To do so, use the Win+ X menu.
Now, in the new window, type “Outlook /safe” command in the box and click on the OK button.
After executing the command, Outlook will launch in Safe Mode. Lastly, select Restart in order to reboot your device.
If your device still shows the same error in the Safe Mode, then the issue is possibly generating due to the add-ins.
These might conflict with the Outlook Settings. As a result, you ‘cannot start Microsoft Outlook or cannot open the Outlook window.’
In that case, follow the steps underneath:
Step 1: At first, tap on the File Menu. Then, locate the Options. Once you find it, right-click on it.
After that, look for the COM Add-ins.
Step 2: Now, click on the COM Add-ins and hit the Clear All button from the resultant list. Now, reboot Outlook.
Procedure 2: Resolve the Damaged Data Files
If this issue occurs due to the damaged data files, then you can easily fix this matter by performing the under mentioned steps:
- To begin this process, you have to close all the Microsoft Office applications. Once you are done, go to the Control Panel and locate the “Programs and Features.”
- Now, select it from the resultant menu and look for your Microsoft Office version.
- Once you find it, tap on it and choose the Repair button from the popup menu.
- Now, reboot your device and examine whether you can start Microsoft Outlook now. If you still come across the same error, then you have to move to the next solution.
Procedure 3: Restore Navigation Pane Configuration File
If you face the issue due to the corrupted configuration file in the navigation pane, then restore them. And, you can perform this action by following the under mentioned steps:
- In order to restore the navigation pane configuration file, shut down all the running Microsoft Outlook applications first.
- After that, tap on the Start menu and then write “Run Command” in the search field and hit Enter.
- Now, another Run dialog box will pop up on the display. There, type “outlook.exe /resetnavpane” and press the Enter key.
- Once you perform this action, the restoration will automatically start. Lastly, reboot the Outlook application as well as the device in order to save all the new changes.
Procedure 4: Remove Navigation Pane Configuration File
After following the previous method, if you still get stuck with the same issue, then remove the navigation pane configuration file.
- First of all, launch the Run box and write %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook into it.
- Hit the Enter button or choose the OK button.
- After that, navigate to the Microsoft Outlook configuration file location and then look for the Outlook.xml file.
- Once you find it, right-click on it and choose the “Delete /Remove” button.
- Now, confirm the process by hitting the OK button twice.
Procedure 5: Update Outlook
If you are running an outdated version of Outlook, then you might face such kind of error. In such scenarios, you need to update the Outlook application.
You can do this task by following the steps underneath:
- At first, go to Settings.
- Then, you have to locate and select the Update and Recovery option.
- After that, tap on How Updates get Installed button.
- Now, click Turn On/Enable Automatic Updates for all the most significant updates.
- Lastly, you need to follow the on-screen instructions in order to proceed further.
Note: It is always a good practice to ensure that all the applications installed on your device are updated. Sometimes, antivirus might prevent you from accessing the Outlook.
There is a chance that if you update the antivirus software, then it will work.
Procedure 6: Clear Up the Junk Files
It is another potential way to fix this matter. You can easily perform this task by following the below-discussed steps:
Step 1: At first, locate the Windows Home key on your keyboard. Now, press it along with the R key. This will invoke the Run box. Once the Run box opens, write “Cleanmgr” and press Enter.
Step 2: Select the OS Partition and hit the OK button from the pop-up window. After that, locate and select the “Clean Up System Files” button and tap on OK.
Procedure 7: Create a New Outlook Profile
If none of the above methods works, then your last option is to create a new Outlook profile.
Step 1: Firstly, go to the Start button and then write “Control” into the Search field. Press Enter. Now, select the first search result from the menu.
Step 2: Once you are in the Control Panel window, tap on the Mail Option to launch the Mail Setup dialog box. Here, you need to select Show Profiles and hit the Add button from the menu. After that, give it a name and press the OK button in order to confirm the profile name.
Now, you can switch to the new Outlook profile and remove the previous one from your device.
As we wrap up the discussion, we hope that these will come handy for you. Apply them and start Outlook without any problems.
However, if the solutions seem complicated, you can opt for expert assistance for instant help.