Steam error code 80 is one of the most complex error codes that occur occasionally while processing further steam data on your Windows system. The error code 80 indicates the missing files at the one end of the steam or deletion of a file. It strikes with an error note that says “file can’t be open, Steam error code 80”. This is one of the worst error codes that prevent the users’ for further processing of host files on your computer. So, if you are one of those unfortunate ones looking for some effective tricks to crack this error code, then you have landed on the right article. In this content, we will explore all the prime causes and effective solutions to settle this issue as soon as possible.
Probable Causes for Why Steam Error Code 80 Occurs?
If you are getting Steam error code 80 on your computer, then there might be several reasons behind this error. This issue mainly occurs when you change the read-only attribute settings of your steam folder. If the Windows registry files get corrupted or are missing, it will also cause error code 80 on your computer system. Sometimes, corrupted or outdated drivers will also cause this error. Software conflicts or the third-party applications are another prime suspects for this error. If the Windows BIOS file goes corrupted or outdated, then this will also result in error code 80 on your computer. However, we have enough solutions to deal with this error that we will discuss in the next segment.
Effective Methods to Fix Steam Error Code 80
We have prepared a list of all the effective methods in order to eliminate steam error code 80 in no time. You can go through either one of these solutions or all the solutions discussed below to remove this error code:
Method 1: Run the SFC/Scannow on your Computer
The SFC/Scannow tool is an in-built feature in every Windows variant that permits the computer to interact with the errors and helps to drop automatically. You need to manage this feature on Windows in order to settle this error. Go through the steps discussed below to finish this method:
- At first, turn on your computer and tap on the Windows Start button from the very left-bottom corner of the screen.
- When the Search pane opens, type “cmd” into the search field and tap the Enter key to invoke the action.
- After that, on the next screen, right-click on the Command Prompt from the list of search results.
- Select the Run as Administrator option from the bottom of the screen and enter the Password.
- When the Command Prompts loads, type “SFC/scannow” and tap on the Enter key to begin the process.
- At last, when the task is completed, click on Show Results option from the bottom of the screen. If you found any affected files, simply select all those files by pressing Ctrl + A and select the Delete option.
After you have successfully deleted all those affected files from Windows, restart the computer normally as usual and see if the issue exists or not. If the issue still exists or the above method doesn’t aid, try another solution.
Method 2: Repair the Registry Entries Associated with Microsoft Update on your Computer
If the registry files get corrupted or are missing, then it will result in error code 80 steam on your Windows system. You need to restore all the removed registry entries to solve this issue. Perform the steps mentioned below to succeed in the task:
- Turn on your computer and you can see the Windows Start button at the left-bottom corner of the screen. After that, click on that key to continue to the next screen.
- When the Windows search panel opens, type “Command” in the Search box and while pressing the Ctrl + Shift key, tap on the Enter button.
- After that, click on Yes when a permission dialogue box opens.
- Now, this will open a black box with a blinking cursor on the next window. Type “regedit” in the box and tap the Enter key to proceed to the next.
- Select the task host window related entries from the Registry Editor folder on the very top. And, select the Export option from the File menu which is at the end of the results.
- Select the folder in the Save list where you want to save Microsoft backup and choose the Selected Branch option.
- On the next page, click on the Save option and then, the file will be saved as “.reg file extension”.
After completing all the above steps accurately, restart your computer manually and see if the task host window issue exists or not. If still, you are facing any issue regarding this error code, try another method below.
Method 3: Delete Certain Files on your Computer
Error code 80, stream error can occur due to several technical reasons. You need to delete all the affected files in order to fix this error. Go through the steps below to delete the specific files in order to fix error code 80:
- At first, turn on your computer and invoke the Run Command by pressing the Windows + R key at the same time on your keyboard.
- Now, when the Run Command box appears on the next screen, type “%appdata%” into the box and tap the Enter key or simply click on the OK button.
- After that, scroll down the list and locate the Bungie folder from the menu and click on that to open it.
- After that, locate the Destiny PC Folder from the list of search results and click on that.
- Now, you can see the “Prefs” folder on the top of the search results, click on that.
- When the dialogue box opens on the next screen, right-click on that option and click on the Delete button.
- At last, click on the OK button and then on Save to save the changes you made.
After successfully deleting the specific files from the computer, restart the computer normally as usual and see if the error code is resolved. If the error still continues to appear or the above method doesn’t aid, try another solution below.
Method 4: Perform a “chkdsk” Command on your Windows Via Run
Short for Check Disk (chkdsk) is a useful in-built command in Windows that allows the computer to check the File System and the System Hard Drives to detect for an issue. This method is useful enough as it helps the error code to detect and recover it automatically. You need to go through the following steps discussed below in order to complete the task:
- Turn the computer on and open the Run Command box by pressing the Windows + R key at the same time on your keyboard.
- After that, type “cmd” into the box and tap the Enter key or simply click on the OK button below to invoke the action.
- Now, on the next screen, locate the Run as Administrator option from the list of search results. Right-click on that to open the action and click on Allow when prompted.
- When a Command Prompt window appears on the next screen, type “chkdsk” into the command pane and tap the Enter key to scan for the affected files.
- When the scan is completed, click on the Repair option from the very bottom of the screen.
- Click on OK and then, on the Finish option when the task is completed successfully.
After performing all the above steps accurately, restart the computer manually as usual and see if the error code exists or not. If the above method doesn’t work or the error code still remains, try another solution below.
Method 5: Uninstall all the Third Party Applications on your Computer
Third party applications are one of the most reasonable aspects of this error. You need to uninstall all the third-party applications in order to settle this error code on your computer. Go through the steps below in order to accomplish the task:
- At first, turn on your computer and invoke the Run command by pressing the Windows + R key at the same time on your keyboard.
- When the Run command box appears on the next screen, type “appwiz.cpl” into the box and tap the Enter key to invoke the action.
- Now, locate the third-party applications from the list of all the installed applications and right-click on that.
- Select the Uninstall option from the list and click on the OK button to complete the task.
After happily pushing the third-party application out from your computer, do the same methods for all the applications. Now, simply restart the computer after fulfilling the above steps carefully. Now, you are no longer influenced by any issues on your computer regarding this error.
Method 6: Update the BIOS on your Computer
If none of the above methods worked, then updating the computer’s BIOS version is the only hope to eliminate the Windows error code 80. Corrupted BIOS version or outdated BIOS version can surely stop the Window to be updated. Go through the steps below in order to update the BIOS version:
Downloading the BIOS File
- At first, turn your computer on and tap the Windows Start button at the bottom-left corner of the window.
- Type “msinfo” into the search bar and tap the Enter key to invoke the System Information on the next window.
- Now, locate the System Model option, on the screen and copy the computer’s model name and number.
- After that, navigate to the BIOS version number on the desktop. On the other hand, if you have a custom-built computer, simply skip this step.
- Now, open a web browser on the desktop and drive to the manufacturer’s website to download the BIOS file.
- Enter the BIOS version number, Model number, and Model name in the box and tap the Enter key to search for the latest BIOS version.
- You can see a list of all the options on the next screen. Simply click on the ‘Download’ button at the very bottom of the page.
- Next, click on ‘Confirm’ option to begin the BIOS download.
Installing the BIOS
- After the download completes, move to the Drive/Folder where you have saved the BIOS file and simply open the folder.
- Copy all the files to a USB drive and restart the computer to begin the process.
- When the logo appears on the startup screen, simply press the F12 key to enter the BIOS setup page.
- Select the BOOT tab from the screen and ensure that the USB drive is showing the Flash option.
- Select the Flash option, from the Advanced tab and allow the computer to update the BIOS.
- Double-click on the BIOS.exe file and select the Extract option from the list.
- Now, click on Run, and then on Next to begin the installation process.
- Click on the “Accept all the Terms and Conditions” checkbox, and then click on Next option until the software application begins to install.
- Do not turn Off the computer while the BIOS is updating and click on Finish button after the BIOS installation gets complete.
After successfully performing all those steps, restart your computer and check if the error code is resolved.
Here we have discussed all the effective and time-saving methods in order to eliminate steam error code 80. You can go through either one of these solutions or all the solutions discussed above to terminate this issue permanently. Hope the above article was beneficial enough to assist you on error code 80 steam fix. In case the error code still persists or the above-mentioned methods don’t work, then there might be some other internal faults or you have done something wrong or opposite with those steps. In that case, confidently you can try all those steps once more or you can take an expert’s help for further assistance. Lastly, we counsel you to submit your valuable feedback below in the comment segment to let us grasp your opinion.