Isn’t it quite an annoying experience when you are trying to compose any important office documents in Word and suddenly the spell checker stops working? If yes, then do not panic as this is often encountered by a number of users. However, the issue is not very complicated and can be easily fixed with some changes in settings. So, at first, let us identify the exact causes of the error and then remove it with the best possible solutions. Hence, take a thorough look at this article to know everything regarding the issue spell check not working in Word.
Probable Causes for Spell Check not Working in Word 2016 Issue
The spell checker in MS Word might not work for a number of reasons. Hence, it is essential to identify the exact cause to proceed with the solution part. Take a look below:
- In case, the tools for proofing are not installed.
- If the Speller EN-US add-in is the Disable mode.
- If the Grammar checkbox or the “Do not check spelling” box is selected.
- In case, another language is set as a default one.
- When the subkey given below exists in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SharedTools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US.
Effective Steps to Resolve Spell Check not Working in Word Error
So, now if you want to resolve the error without any further hassle, then it is suggested to follow the steps that are described below. Perform the methods one by one and check which one suits the best for you.
Method 1: Install Proofing Tools
In order to install proofing tools, do the following.
- At first, Exit from all the programs.
- Then, click on the Start button followed by the Control Panel option.
- Now, follow the accurate steps given below for your Operating System:
- For Windows 7, under programs, click on “Uninstall a program”.
- In Windows Vista, hit the “Programs and Features” option.
- For Windows that have earlier versions, double-click on the “Add or Remove Programs” tab.
- Select the Microsoft Office Edition, and then hit the Change button.
- Now, click on the “Add or Remove Features” located in the Microsoft Office Edition dialog box.
- Then, click on Continue.
- Expand the Office Shared Features
- Click the icon located on the left side of the Proofing Tools.
- Lastly, click on the “Run all option” from My Computer.
Method 2: Enable the Speller EN-US Add-in
Now, to enable the add-in option, implement these simple steps:
- Click on the File tab followed by Options tab.
- Hit on the Add-Ins option which is located on the left.
- Click the drop-down arrow available under Manage at the bottom of the Word Options dialogue box.
- Change the Selection option to Disabled items from COM Add-ins, and then hit the Go button.
- Check whether Speller EN-US is available in the Disabled Items dialogue box.
- Select the ones which you want to re-enable box.
- If you check that the Speller EN-US (nlsdata0009.dll) is listed, click on it, and hit the Enable option.
- Lastly, click on Close, and then click OK.
Method 3: Enable Check Spelling as you type
Enabling check spelling function during the time you type might also help you to resolve the error. Hence, follow the instructions as stated below:
- First, click on the File tab followed by the Options tab.
- Select the Proofing options that appear in the dialogue box of Word options.
- Ensure that the option “Check spelling as you type” is enabled in the section “When correcting spelling and grammar in Word section”.
- Now, make sure that in the “Exception for” section all the checkbox are cleared.
- Lastly, click on the OK button.
Method 4: Clear “Do not check spelling or grammar” and Select Language
Clearing the “Do not check spelling or grammar check box is another effective way to resolve the error. Therefore, follow these steps:
- Select all the documents of the content.
- Click on the Language option in the Language group which is available on the Review tab.
- Then, select the Set Proofing Language.
- Choose the language that you want from the language dialogue box
- In case, the “Do not check spelling or grammar check box” is marked, select the box to clear it.
- Then, click on the OK button.
Method 5: Modify the Registry
When none of the above methods are helping you to resolve spell check not working in Word error, then try this fix. To modify the Registry follow the steps below:
- Select the Start button, and then click on the Run option
- Type “regedit” in the Run box, and then hit the Enter key.
- Right-click on the registry subkey given below:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override
- Now, click on the Delete option.
- Exit from the Registry Editor.
- At last Exit and again restart Word.
The above methods mentioned above are trusted and proven. Hence, implementing the proper steps will surely help you to resolve the error spell check not working in Word 2016. But even after applying the methods if you are still encountering the same problem, then it is advisable to opt for expert help. Regarding any other queries, you can mention it in the comment section below.