While using surface pro 4 devices, the most common error which you can encounter is your surface pen not working. There are several reasons due to which you can encounter this issue on your device.
The main reason to encounter this error on your device is some issue with the battery. Besides that, some glitch present in the pen driver can also cause this error. In some cases, the pen doesn’t work for the simple reason that you have not turned on the pen.
If you are facing this issue and looking for solutions to resolve it, then follow this article to the end. Here, you’ll get to learn the effective fixes that can resolve this particular glitch in no time.
Fixing Surface Pen Not Working Issue
Mentioned below, are some effective methods which you can utilize to eliminate this error on your Surface pen. Try to follow the methods exactly in the given order.
Method 1: Fix the Battery
At times, a battery issue can cause the surface pen tip to not work on your device. In order to fix this battery error, try out these steps:
- At first, try to remove the cap of the Surface Pen and then take out the battery.
- After that, try to insert the battery back and put the cap back.
- Once done, try to use your Surface Pen on your Surface Pro 4 and check whether it resolves this error or not.
- If it fails to resolve this error, try to replace the AAAA battery with a new one.
- Next, try to use the pen again and see whether it resolves the issue or not.
Method 2: Remove and Pair your Pen Again
If this previous method fails to resolve this issue, then you can follow these steps:
- First of all, navigate to the Settings app by pressing the Windows Key + I at the same time.
- When you see the Settings application opens, you need to go to the devices section.
- From the left, select Bluetooth. Next, you need to locate your pen situated in the right pane.
- Next, click on the Remove button. Tap on the yes button to confirm.
Method 3: Enable Pen in Device Manager
You can also disable pen in the device manager. To perform this action, try out these steps:
- First of all, press the Windows+X buttons at the same time and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Next, you need to locate your pen in the list of the devices. It will be in the Bluetooth section.
- Now, right-click on the pen and from the menu, select disable device.
- When you see the confirmation dialog appears, click on Yes option.
- After completing this action, wait for some time and right-click on the pen again.
- Next, select the Enable option from the menu.
- Once you are able to enable your pen, check if it works with your surface device.
- If it doesn’t work, move to the next method.
Method 4: Perform a Two-Button Shut Down
If some corruption occurs in the surface pro 4, it can automatically disable the surface pen. So, you can perform a two-button shut down to fix this error. Try these steps:
- Firstly, you need to press and hold the Power button of the Surface Pro for about 30 seconds and release it.
- After that, press and hold the Power button and the Volume Up button at the same time for some seconds.
- Now, wait for some time and restart your device and now check if the surface pen works or not.
If the error still persists, try to follow the next method.
Method 5: Reinstall Pen Driver
In case, you are facing this issue with your device due to glitched or corrupted pen driver, you can try to reinstall the pen driver using these steps:
- Firstly, navigate to the Device Manager.
- After that, in the list of devices, try to search for surface pen. Next, right-click on it and select Uninstall device from the menu.
- When you see the confirmation dialog appears on the screen, click Uninstall.
- After removing the driver, click on Scan for hardware changes icon and wait until the driver completes the installation procedure.
- After reinstalling the driver, check if this issue still persists or not.
Method 6: Run the Troubleshooter
As per experts, you can also come across this error due to some glitch present in your system. In such cases, try to run the troubleshooter, which is a handy tool to fix most of the errors on the device.
- Firstly, navigate to the Settings application and go to the Update & Security section.
- Next, select Troubleshoot from the left menu.
- Now, you will be able to see a long list. From that list, search for Hardware and Devices.
- Once you locate it, click on Run the troubleshooter button.
- After finishing the troubleshooting procedure, check if it resolves this error or not. In some cases, you can also run the Bluetooth troubleshooter and check whether it resolves the error or not.
Summing it up
After going through this article, and utilizing all of the steps properly, you will hopefully, be able to eliminate this error from your device. In case, you are aware of any other methods which can resolve this error, then you can leave it in the comment section to help others. You can always contact an expert who can guide you better.