Mac no sound problem can come up when the volume of the device is in mute or is very low. There can be various reasons as to why this issue occurs after all. For instance, if the MacOS is not up to date, then there is a chance to get this error.
If the settings of the audio on the Mac is not configured correctly, then there is a possibility to face this issue. Even, when the Bluetooth feature of the Mac is active, then too, you might face this glitch.
Further, if there is a headphone connected to the Mac, then also there is a possibility to meet with this glitch. Moreover, if the NVRAM gets corrupt, then also you can encounter this issue.
Here, in this article, there will be effective steps that will allow you to resolve this problem fast and easy.
Methods to Resolve No Sound Problem on Mac
In this section of the article, there will be a plethora of methods that will aid you to get rid of the no sound issue from Mac.
Solution 1: Inspect the Sound on Other Applications
In order to remove this problem regarding the sound on Mac, the first method that you will have to perform is to check the audio on the different applications. Here are the steps you need to perform to do it.
- First, open the browser, visit a video streaming website and try to play audio. Also, launch other music applications present on the Mac like ‘iTunes’, etc and see if this issue appears or not, when you try to play the audio.
- If some applications play audio but others do not, then you can remove the glitchy program and then reinstall it once again.
If no audio comes from any applications and even the video or audio streaming sites, then move to the other methods provided below.
Solution 2: Examine the Settings of the Audio
If the audio volume is in mute or very low, then you will get this issue. Now, the one and only solution to get rid of this issue are to unmute or turn up the audio within Mac. In order to do it, follow the steps provided below.
- First, start the Mac and then do the Dock area at the bottom of the desktop.
- Now, from the ‘Dock’, locate and then click on the ‘System Preferences’ icon. This action will launch a new window with the name ‘System Preferences’.
- After that, from this window, locate and then choose the ‘Sound’ option. Now, a new window, that has a name ‘Sound’ will come up.
- In this window, select the ‘Output’ tab. Then, under that tab, below the label ‘Select a device for sound output:’, choose the ‘Internal Speakers’ option.
- Now, navigate to the bottom of this window and see if the ‘Mute’ option is chosen or not.
- If the ‘Mute’ option is selected already, then uncheck this option and then move the slider on the ‘Output volume’ to the right to increase the audio.
- At last, see if there is any sound output from Mac’s internal speaker or not.
Solution 3: Start the Sound Controller Once Again
Sometimes, when the sound controller has any kind of internal glitches or malfunctions due to some reasons, then you might meet with this issue. Now, the easiest solution to rectify this problem is to restart the sound controller on the Mac.
Follow the steps below to do it.
- First, navigate and then choose the ‘Applications’ menu. Then from the popup menu that comes up, choose the ‘Utilities’ option.
- Now, a new window with the name ‘Utilities’ will come up. In this window, locate and then double-click on ‘Activity Monitor’.
- Next, another new window having the name ‘Activity Monitor’ will come up. Inside this window, go to the search bar on the top-right edge and then type in the text ‘coreaudiod’. After that, press the ‘Enter’ button.
- After that, from the search output, choose the process ‘coreaudiod’. Then, go to the upper left corner of the window and then tap on the cross button. This action will remove this process.
- Finally, restart the computer and then the process ‘coreaudiod’ will restart once again.
Solution 4: Disable the Bluetooth Feature
Sometimes, no sound on Mac can be caused if the Bluetooth feature of the computer is active. This issue basically occurs when audio starts to play from a Bluetooth device or headset. The best answer to solve this issue is to deactivate the ‘Bluetooth’ feature.
In order to do that, follow these steps underneath.
- First, tap on the ‘System preferences’ icon. This will open a new window with all the settings of the Mac machine.
- Now, inside that window, locate and then choose the ‘Bluetooth’ option. After that, if you see the ‘Bluetooth’ feature is ‘On’, then, tap on the ‘Turn Bluetooth Off’ button to disable this feature. Next, hit the ‘Close’ button.
- Lastly, see if this error appears or not.
Solution 5: Set the NVRAM Once Again
The NVRAM or ‘Non Volatile Random Access Memory’ is a little amount of memory which can be used by the Mac machine to store some specific settings in order to run them quickly. The settings that are present within the NVRAM are basically resolution of the display, time zone, audio volume and etc.
When the information present inside the NVRAM gets corrupted somehow, then you can meet with the Mac no sound glitch. The most feasible solution to eradicate this issue is to reset the NVRAM of the Mac. For that to happen, follow the steps presented beneath.
- First, go to the top left corner of the menu and then tap on the ‘Apple’ logo. This will open a drop-down list of options.
- Out of all those options, select the one that says ‘Shut down’ and let the machine switch itself off.
- After that, hit the ‘Power’ button and keep it pressed. Now, when the machine powers up, press the following keys together – ‘Command + Options/Alt + P + R’, and hold them.
- Next, as soon as you hear the sound of the startup, let go of all the keys that were pressed earlier. This procedure can take some time to get over.
- Once the Mac boots up into the Operating System, all its prior settings will be configured to the default one. The only thing you will have to do is to configure the settings according to your preference.
- Finally, after the configuration of the settings is complete, check whether the issue with the sound is still present or not.
Solution 6: Reboot the Mac
Sometimes, due to some glitch with the macOS, there is a possibility for you to get this issue. Now, one of the easiest ways to solve this problem is to simply restart the Mac. To perform this procedure follow the steps underneath.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Control + Eject’ keys simultaneously.
- This action will launch a dialog box with various buttons.
- Out of all those buttons, choose the one that says ‘Restart’.
- At last, try to play an audio file and see if this error comes on not.
Solution 7: Perform an Update of the Mac OS
If the Operating System of the Mac is not up to date, then due to that reason, you might face this problem. The only right answer to correct this problem is to perform a proper update for the macOS. You can follow the steps that are given below.
- First, navigate to the ‘Dock’ present at the bottom of the desktop.
- Next, within it, locate and then click on the App Store icon. As soon as the new window with the name ‘App Store’ opens up, go to the left panel and tap on the Updates option.
- Now, the OS will find any updates available for itself. If there is an update present, then they will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- After the installation is over, the Mac will start again.
- Finally, check to see if the issue with sound is present on the Mac or not.
Solution 8: Make a New Apple Account for Testing
Sometimes, due to a corrupt Apple account, you can face this issue. So the only solution to resolve this problem is to create a new test Apple account.
- First, power off the Mac.
- Then, hit the ‘Shift’ key and ‘Power’ button simultaneously and hold them until you see the logo of the Apple on the screen.
- Next, choose the ‘Apple Logo’ and ‘System Preferences’. Then within it, choose the ‘Users & Groups’ option.
- Now, on the new window having a name ‘Users & Groups’, go to the bottom left section and then click on the ‘Lock’ icon. Then, locate and tap on the ‘+’ icon to add a new account.
- This will open a new dialog box, where fill in all the necessary credentials and make it an administrator account. Now, click on the ‘Create User’ button. If a confirmation window comes up, tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- Finally, restart the Mac and use the newly created account to login and then see if this issue appears or not.
You can easily rectify the no sound issue on Mac if you follow the methods given above, carefully. If even after following every method, you’re still unable to resolve this problem, then do worry a bit.
Just provide the details of the problems that you are facing in the comment section below and get an instant fix from an expert.