The error code 0X80070652 usually appears when you are trying to install the latest version of Windows OS on your device. It mainly appears when another application is in the process of downloading.
This situation can also arise due to the problems linked to previously failed update attempts. Once this Windows error pops up on the screen, users are not able to access the version of Windows they are trying to install.
Instead, an error notification appears on the screen saying “An error code occurred, ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING, Windows error code 0X80070652”.
When this error occurs, users fall in some unwanted situations like the unexpected system crash, the system periodically freezes, and even it responds so slowly.
This situation mostly transpires in a particular instance. If the previous installation of Windows process was not properly completed or might have been interrupted due to certain reason, then such error can appear.
If you get stuck with the same error code on your Windows-based device, then nothing to be worried. Here, in this post, we are going to mention some of the most effective workarounds to easily deal with it.
Common Cause of Windows 10 Update Error 0X80070652
There are plenty of factors that are capable of triggering the error code 0X80070652. But, here, we are going to mention the most obvious ones.
- Corrupted Windows registry files
- Outdated system drivers
- Improper installation of any specific application
- Virus or malware infection
Once you identify the root causes of this error, then you can proceed with the next section to know all the possible troubleshooting methods to overcome it.
Simple Hacks to Overcome Windows 10 Update Error 0X80070652
Follow up the below section and apply the methods one by one accordingly to get the best result possible.
Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a built-in tool, designed to resolve the common complications that most of the users face.
Using such a reliable tool is often sufficient to get rid of the issues that arise with the elements of Windows 10.
- Primarily, hold the Windows and I key simultaneously to initiate the Settings app.
- Once the Settings window opens, navigate to the “Update and Security” section from the left pane of the window.
- After that, you will find a new window that pops up on the screen. Here, you need to choose the Troubleshoot button from the resultant menu and hit the Windows Update button.
- Now, follow the online instructions in the wizard in order to diagnose and repair the error.
The Windows Troubleshooter tool begins scanning the entire system. It will resolve the internal bugs and glitches including Windows Update errors.
Otherwise, it provides you with the proper instructions on what action should be taken.
Method 2: Use System File Checker
Corrupted or missing system files often cause such kind of Windows update error. In such situations, it is advisable to use the System File Checker.
It is a built-in tool, designed to repair the corrupted or damaged system files on Windows OS. To run it, follow the steps.
- Open the Run dialog box by hitting the Windows and S key altogether.
- Now, write “cmd” into the search box and hit the Ener button.
- After that, right-click on the Command Prompt and choose the Run As Administrator option.
- Once the Command Prompt window opens, write “sfc/scannow” into it and press the Enter key.
After executing the command, close the Command Prompt window and Restart the system. Once your device restarts, check whether the issue has been resolved or not.
Method 3: Update the System Drivers
If you are using outdated or corrupted system drivers, then it’s never a surprise that such Windows error is causing your headaches.
The main point is, you need to keep the system drivers updated to prevent any Windows error. To complete the update process, go through the steps underneath.
- Primarily, hold the Windows and R key to invoke the Run box. After that, write “devmgmt.msc” in it and hit the Enter button.
- Here, you need to choose a category to determine the names of devices, then right-click on the device you’d like to update.
- After that, locate and select the “Update Driver” option and then hit the “Search Automatically For Updated Driver software” option from the resultant menu.
- If updates are available, then simply click on the “Install Update” button and confirm it by hitting on the OK button twice.
Once the process is over, reboot your device and examine whether the error gets removed or not.
Method 4: Perform Clean Boot
To perform a clean boot on your Windows device, follow the steps.
- Firstly, initiate the Run box by pressing the Windows and R key altogether. Now, write “msconfig” into the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter button.
- After that, launch the System Configuration window and tap on the Services tab. Then, locate the Microsoft and mark all the checkboxes.
- After that, hit the “Disable All” button from the resultant menu.
- Now, press and hold the Ctrl + Alt + Delete button to initiate the Task Manager window.
- Afterward, navigate to the Startup tab and Turn Off all the applications that are set to boot with the Windows Startup.
Finally, restart your PC and try to install the updates again.
Method 5: Reset the Software Distribution Folder
Another potential method to overcome the Windows Update error implies resetting the Software Distribution folder.
- Firstly, Go to the Start Menu and then open the Command Prompt.
- Then choose the “Run As Administrator” button from the menu to open the Command Prompt with administrator rights.
- After that, enter the following commands one by one in the Command Prompt window:
- Firstly, net stop wuauserv
- Then, net stop cryptic
- Next, net stop bits
- After that, net stop msiserver
Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old. Afterward, go to C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 and rename it to Catroot2.old.
Again enter the following commands into the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter button after each command.
- Now, net start wuauserv
- Then, net start cryptSvc
- Afterward, net start bits
- Next, net start msiserver
Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot your device to let the changes take effect.
Method 6: Try to Update Manually
If nothing works, then try to install the pending updates manually and to do that go through the following steps.
- At first, open a browser and go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Download it and follow the on-screen guidelines in order to complete the process.
In the above section, we have mentioned some of the reliable fixes for the error code 0X80070652. Hopefully, after implementing the above methods, your Windows-based device becomes error-free and running smoothly.
Now, it is suggested to scan your device with a reliable anti-malware software. This clears up all the internal bugs and glitches. This will also boost up your PC’s performance.
Furthermore, if you have any confusion regarding the troubleshooting methods, then you can post your doubts in the feedback section below.