If you encounter the issue which implies Windows 10 Task Manager shows 100% disk usage, then the problem lies in the hard drive. There has to be something that is causing the drive to overwork.
The performance of the PC will slow down. And henceforth, it becomes very difficult for you to use. You might be thinking about where you have gone wrong. The answer to this question is there in this informative guide.
The problem takes place all by itself. But if you follow this informative content, you will get the suitable hacks to prevent this error in no time.
6 Useful Ways to Prevent 100% Disk Usage on Windows 10
Here are some of the well-researched fixes that we have collected after a thorough brainstorming session. You don’t have to perform all the fixes on your own.
Go through this guide to know which suits you the best and then apply it accordingly.
Solution 1: Deactivate Windows Search
In order to identify whether Windows Search is causing 100% disk usage or not, the first and foremost thing is to deactivate the Windows Search. Now, you need to examine if the system speeds up or not after disabling the Windows Search.
If it speeds up, you can easily deactivate the Windows Search.
Disabling Windows Search Temporarily
Here is how you can disable the Windows Search temporarily. You need to find out the exact cause of the 100% disk utilization issue.
Please take into account that Windows Search will again start when restarting your PC.
- In order to begin, press the combination of Windows as well as the X key simultaneously. After that, choose Command Prompt.
- Now, you need to click the Yes option present at the User Account Control window.
- After that, you will find a black window which is basically the Command Prompt window. Here, enter the following command.
net.exe stop “Windows search”
- Now, click on Enter.
Now examine whether the Windows 10 100% disk usage issue persists or not.
Disabling Windows Search Permanently
If the Windows Search is causing 100% disk usage error, then you can disable Windows Search permanently to resolve this in one go.
- In order to begin, you need to press the combination of Windows as well as R key. After that, enter services.msc.
- Now, you have to pin-point the Windows Search option. After that, you have to double-click in order to move to the Properties tab.
- Thereafter, you need to modify the Startup type to Disabled. Now, hit the Apply button and click on OK in order to save the changes that you made.
- After that, check the disk usage of the system. Now, write “task manager” in the Windows search menu. Then, choose Task Manager.
- Furthermore, move to the Processes tab and search for the % present at the peak of the Disk column.
This will surely resolve the 100 disk usage Windows 10 issue. However, if the issue persists, go ahead with the next fix.
Solution 2: Deactivate SuperFetch
Superfetch helps in minimizing the time of the boot. And therefore, the programs should load more efficiently.
But you can hold this as a major cause of the disk performance problem in Windows 8 as well as Windows 10.
- In order to begin, you need to press the combination of Windows as well as X key simultaneously. Now, select Command Prompt.
- After that, press the Yes option present at the User Account Control window.
- The Command Prompt window will appear once again. Now, you should enter the under-mentioned command.
net.exe stop superfetch.
- Furthermore, click on Enter.
- Now, wait for a while to examine if the PC starts working properly or not. Otherwise, you can go ahead to examine the disk usage of the computer.
- After that, you need to enter the Task Manager.
- Furthermore, move to the Processes tab in order to take a look at the % available at the peak of the Disk column.
However, even after following the above method the 100 disk usage Windows system issue persists, go ahead with the next fix.
Solution 3: Carry out the Disk Check
- First, hold the combination of Windows as well as X key simultaneously. Now, you have to select Command Prompt (Admin).
- After that, you have to press the Yes button available at the User Account Control option.
- The Command Prompt window will appear again. Now, enter the command: chkdsk.exe /f /r
- Press Enter.
- After that, write Y to make sure that you want to perform the disk check when you will open the computer after some time. Also, ensure that you close all the applications in the first place.
- When you complete the disk check, you have to examine disk usage of the system. Now. enter “task manager” in the Windows search bar. And, search for the % available at the peak of the Disk column.
Solution 4: Reset Virtual Memory
Virtual memory is typically an extension of the physical memory of the PC. This is a culmination of RAM and a part of the hard drive.
Owing to the inability of RAM to carry out the necessary task, Windows will save the files in the virtual memory. After that, you can exchange them with RAM as and when required.
In order to reset virtual memory, you need to go through the under-mentioned guideline.
- First, hold the combination of Windows as well as Pause/Break key simultaneously. After that, select Advanced System Settings available at the left panel.
- Move to the Advanced tab. Now, press Settings.
- After that, navigate to the Advanced tab once again. Now, select the option labeled as Change present in the Virtual memory section.
- Furthermore, please make sure that the checkbox termed as Automatically manage paging file size for all drives is unticked.
- Then, choose the Windows Drive that means the hard drive which has the Windows version installed. Mostly this is the C drive.
- After that, you need to set an Initial as well as Maximum size for the virtual memory.
The values vary on the basis of the system you are using. If you are oblivious about the value you need to use, then provide the number available in the Recommended category.
Don’t set any high value. Generally, it should be 1.5 times the RAM size.
Once you enter the virtual memory values, hit on Set. Now, you need to press OK in order to continue the process.
- Remove all the temp files from your PC. Now, hold the combination of Windows as well as R key. This will recall the Windows Explorer where the Temp folder remains open. It basically gives you a clear idea about the files available on your PC.
- Furthermore, choose all the files available at the Temp folder. After that, you have to remove these files.
- Now, its time to examine the system’s disk usage. After that, enter “task manager” in the Windows search menu. After that, choose Task Manager.
- Move to the Processes tab and search for the % available in the Disk column.
Solution 5: Deactivate the Antivirus Software Temporarily
If there is any anti-malware program or antivirus present on your PC, you need to deactivate them in the first place to check if they are causing the issue with the disk usage.
You need to check the software documentation of antivirus to know the exact procedure of disabling the antivirus.
Solution 6: Modify Google Chrome and Skype Settings
For the majority of the Windows 10 users, a collection of Skype and Google Chrome browser can lead to 100% disk usage Windows system. But don’t worry.
Follow this section to fix those settings in one go.
Please take into consideration that wording on several versions of Chrome is slightly different.
- Press the 3 dots icon available at the top-right corner. After that, select Settings.
- Move down to the bottom of the page and press the option labeled as Advanced.
- Now, move to the Privacy and Security tab. Please make sure that the Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly option is disabled.
- Please do ensure that you are not using Skype. Now, in the Windows Explorer tab, you need to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\.
- Now, you have to right-click on Skype.exe. After that, choose Properties. Then, hover on to the Securities tab and choose Edit. After that, press the option termed as ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES.
- Thereafter, tick the Allow checkbox option in order to Write.
- Finally, you have to verify the disk usage of the system.
All the probable ways to prevent 100% disk usage Windows system problem is mentioned here. Follow the article from top to bottom, and get to know the one that counts the best as per your requirement.
If none of the above methods work, you can seek professional help. Don’t forget to go through the user guide for any instant help.