It doesn’t matter where you reside in the world. You’ll run into blocked sites and limited internet access at some point. This is where VPNs come into play. VPNs are used by both corporations and individuals to access restricted sites. Using public Wi-Fi, transmitting sensitive data, or even perusing Netflix can all be done more safely using a VPN. Additionally, VPNs will allow you to access prohibited websites, which comes in handy in certain circumstances. In this article, we will discuss how to access restricted sites anonymously.
What are restricted sites?
Websites inaccessible to particular computer terminals are classified as blocked or restricted sites. Usually, websites are restricted based on many reasons, such as geographical reasons. The type of blocked website is subject to change on a case-by-case basis, depending on the nature of the website and the environment in which it is requested to be accessed. Blocked sites are mainly determined to be objectionable, unethical, aggressive, or vulgar.
Why are sites being blocked?
There are mainly two reasons for a website being blocked: geoblocking and companies blocking websites. We will explain more about this in the following section.
- Geoblocking – This is among the most serious threats to Internet freedom, as blocking users from specific countries is becoming widespread. It’s a technique for restricting access to Internet content-based filtering on the user’s location.
- Companies blocking websites – Company executives use various methods to make employees perform more efficiently by controlling their activities. Thus, most companies tend to block sites like video streaming applications.
What is meant by accessing restricted sites anonymously?
Accessing sites anonymously refers to bypassing access to restricted sites. In simple terms, it refers to accessing a blocked site by pretending to be someone else or by not revealing your identity. It can be done in several ways, which we will discuss in the rest of the article.
What are the different ways to access restricted sites?
There are a variety of ways to gain access to restricted websites. Some of the common methods are explained below.
- VPN Services – A VPN (Virtual Private Network) makes it possible to connect to a server in any location in the world and bypass the central server on a peer-to-peer basis. Your IP address will also be located outside as you connect to a server beyond your home country. VPNs encrypt data, allowing users to create channels that a third party cannot decode. RAV Antivirus owners provide you with RAV VPN, which helps you easily connect to a restricted site.
- Run your browser through a proxy to become anonymous. – Another technique to get around restrictions is to use a proxy server. Your ISP will not be able to track your activity if you use a proxy service to disguise the prohibited website from them.
- Use IP instead of URL. – If a website is prohibited, you might try to view it by its IP address since the blockers may have obscured the URL. The IP can be obtained using a free PING program or pinging it through Command Prompt.
- Switch between proxies – Some companies employ many proxies. The restricted website may still be accessible through some of them as limitations are imposed only through specific proxies.
- Browser extensions – If you use responsive websites regularly and your institution or government blocks them, you can still access them using browser extensions.
- RSS Feed of the website – RSS readers help keep up with new content and skim it. One can add the RSS feed of the blocked website to your reader by grabbing it from the RSS feed of the blocked website. The problem is that some RSS users may load a whole web page on top of their UI that could be used to connect with a website that is prohibited.
How does a VPN work?
A VPN works by routing the internet service of the device via the private server of your selected VPN instead of your ISP. Thus, all data passes to the internet through the VPN instead of your computer. The VPN acts as a mediator when you access the internet, disguising the IP address while safeguarding your identity. Moreover, even if the data is intercepted, data remains unreadable until it reaches its ultimate destination. A VPN creates a secure “tunnel” across your device and the internet, encrypting your important data and keeping it safe.
How does RAV VPN help you?
RAV endpoint protection offers RAV VPN to provide a secure, simple, and private browsing experience that satisfies enterprise-level requirements. It protects the security of your network while allowing users to securely connect and use a remote network by encrypting the connection between endpoints. RAV VPN helps make your computer more secure by encrypting all personal information and online communications via a private network.