Print spooler is a software service which functions to run the printing process smoothly. If it stops, then the user will not able to print a document by using the printer.
If this is the error that you are facing and trying to fix it, then this article is the best that you come across.
Read each and every method first, and then implement them one-by-one to fix this glitch. Hopefully, after trying the below-said methods, you can solve the print spooler keeps stopping issue efficiently. So, let’s proceed further to learn the methods.
Why the Print Spooler Keeps Stopping Windows 10?
There are several factors which are responsible for the print spooler keeps stopping error, and they are as follows:
- A collapse of the Print spooler service
- Print spooler settings issue
No matter, whatever be causing this issue, you need to try the methods below that are arranged here. If you are lucky enough, then after trying a few of the methods, you will get the problem resolved.
How to Resolve the Print Spooler Keeps Stopping Issue?
To fix the issue, at first, read out the methods thoroughly and till the end to learn the steps. Once you understand the methods, try them one by one as arranged here to get rid of this issue.
Method 1: Restart the Print Spooler Service
The foremost method to try to fix this print spooler issue is to restart the print spooler service. The steps to perform this task are as follows:
- At first, press down both the Windows and the letter R key at a time to open the Run bar window.
- Then, ensure that nothing is written in the Run bar. In case, if you find anything in the Run bar, tap the Backspace key to omit the command.
- Then, in the Run bar, type “services.msc” without the quotations.
- Next, click on OK or hit the Enter key. This will get the Services window open on the screen.
- Now, scroll down the Services window and get the Print Spooler option under it.
- Click on the Print Spooler option.
- Then, from the right-hand side of the Services window, click on the Restart link.
Now, wait until the Print spooler service gets restarted. Hopefully, this method will get you a positive result.
Method 2: Ensure that the Print Spooler Sevice is Set as Automatic
After restarting the Print spooler service, if still, this issue arises, then in the next step, you need to ensure that the print spooler service is set to automatic.
The steps to perform this method are stated below:
- Firstly, follow Step 1 to 4 of Method 1 (ie. Restart the Print Spooler Service).
- Further, from the Services window, scroll down to the Print Spooler option.
- Next, right-click on Print Spooler, and then select Properties from the window.
- After that, under the Print Spooler Properties window, check the “Startup type” section and set it as “Automatic”, if not already.
- At last, click on Apply and then on OK.
- Then, check to see if your printer works normally as earlier.
Method 3: Check the Recovery Tab Settings of the Print Spooler
Another essential thing to consider to fix this print spooler issue is the Recovery options for Print spooler, whether they are correctly set or not.
To inquire the Print Spooler Recovery settings, follow the cited below steps:
- Follow Step 1 to 4 of Method 1 (ie. Restart the Print Spooler Service).
- After that, go to the Print Spooler section under the Services window, and double-click on it to open up the Properties window.
- Next, click on the Recovery tab.
- Further, ensure that the following settings under the Print Spooler Properties window.
- First failure: Restart the Service
- Second failure: Restart the Service
- Subsequent failures: Restart the Service
- Further, click on Apply and OK button to save the changes.
After performing the above steps, now, run a printing job to check if the issue gets resolved or not.
Hopefully, your answer to this will be Yes this time. However, if no, then do not worry and proceed with further solutions.
Method 4: Delete the Print Spooler Files
If the above methods do not get you the desired result, in that case, try out this method. This is the method applying which many of the users will get a positive result. So, let’s proceed.
- Again, follow steps 1 to 4 of Method 1 (ie. Restart the Print Spooler Service).
- Now, under the Services window, get the “Print Spooler” option and then click on it.
- After that, from the right-hand side of the window, select the Stop option to stop the print spooler service.
- Next, minimize the Services window.
- Further, tap both the Windows and the letter E key from the keyboard to open the File Explorer window.
- Next, go to: C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS. In case, if you get a permission window open, click on Continue option to continue further.
- After that, delete all the files under the PRINTERS folder.
Then, follow further instructions to complete this method.
Now, tap the Windows key along with the letter R to open the Run bar window. Further, in the Run bar, enter control. Next, click on OK.
Further, under the Control Panel window, set the “View by” into Category. Next, under the Control Panel window, choose the “View devices and printers” link that is present under the Hardware and Sound section.
Then, under the Printers section, right-click on the printer device that you are using. After that, under the menu window, select “Remove device”.
Again, open the Services window back on the screen that is already opened under the Taskbar panel. Next, from the left-hand side of the Services window, click on the Start option for Print Spooler.
After that, return to the Devices and Printers section under Control Panel. Further, right-click on an empty space of the window and select “Add devices and printers” under the menu window. Further, follow the on-screen instructions to re-add your printer.
Now, retry to use the printer to check if the issue gets sorted or not.
All these are effective workarounds to fix this annoying issue. In case, if you are facing any issue in performing any of the above methods, then opt for a technician for help to fix the problem.
Moreover, these methods are also applicable to fix the print spooler keeps stopping Windows 7 issue.