When you select the Uninstall option for any application, the in-built Windows program uninstaller deletes the chosen application. If you try uninstalling more than one application simultaneously, you might encounter the message, ‘Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’.
It’s easy to solve this problem, and you need to pause the uninstalling option. Wait for the Windows Installer to complete the uninstallation process, and then you can initiate the uninstallation process of another program. However, users have reported that the same issue appears on the Windows screen even when they are not uninstalling any program.
The main issue will begin when you attempt to uninstall any program, and the same error will flash on your device. If you want to uninstall a program from your computer, the following solutions should address the ‘Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’ issue.
How to Fix the ‘Please Wait Until the Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed’ error?
The ‘Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’ issue can be frustrating. You can start with restarting your Windows computer or disable antivirus and check if this eradicates the glitch.
In case this was of no help, here are potential solutions to the issue:
Uninstall the Application in Safe Mode
Safe mode permits the Windows device to run with minimal functionality. Performing the uninstallation procedure might actually work in Safe mode. Follow the instructions below for Windows 10:
- Open Settings with the key shortcut of Windows + I key. Click the Update & Security option.
- Choose Recovery from the left pane and click the Restart Now option from the right pane.
- Click the Troubleshoot option followed by Advanced Options. Go for the Startup Settings option.
- Select the Restart option and choose the Safe Mode option.
Now, try uninstalling that particular program from your Windows computer.
Do a System Restore
The interference of the latest software and update might have disturbed the overall performance of the device. Go for a System Restore for a quick roll-back:
- Open the Control Panel and select the Recovery option.
- Navigate to the option that says, ‘Open System Restore’.
- Choose the appropriate restore point when the computer didn’t show such an error.
- Follow all the on-screen instructions and wait until it finishes.
Now, you can check if the Windows device allows you to uninstall the desired application.
Restart the explorer.exe Service
Another workaround for the ‘Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’ issue is to restart the Windows Explorer service. Here’s what you need to do:
- Use the keyboard shortcut to open the Task Manager: Ctrl, Shift, and Esc.
- Locate and right-click the Windows Explorer option.
- Select the Restart option from the pop-up menu.
The error message should have vanished now. You might have to repeat the same process when the error comes back.
De-Register the Windows Installer
Windows Installer is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and deletion of applications on the Windows Operating System. If nothing is working, then you can deregister this particular installer and re-register it.
Follow the guidelines below for successful elimination of this issue:
- Use the Windows + X shortcut to explore the Context menu. Choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option. If not available, go for the ‘PowerShell (Admin)’ option.
- Then, you need to execute the following command: msiexec /unreg.
- Press Enter, and then run the command: msiexec /regserver. Don’t forget to press the Enter key.
Check if the ‘Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’ problem still persists.
Try Uninstalling Applications from Settings
When you can’t directly uninstall applications from your Windows device, you should attempt this solution. The device settings provide you with the interface to delete the application.
Go through the following guidelines:
- Open Settings from the Start menu or with the Win+I shortcut.
- Click the Apps option followed by the Apps & Features option.
- You can view every installed application on your Windows device.
- Locate the specific application on that list.
- Click the three-dot menu next to the application and select the Uninstall option.
- Confirm the action by clicking the Uninstall button.
Observe if the device can uninstall the program now.
Download the Microsoft Troubleshooter
Running the Microsoft Troubleshooter tool can help you in this difficult situation. The corrupted registry or a temporary glitch can lead to the issue of Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’.
You can download and install the Microsoft Troubleshooter from the Microsoft Store. Run the troubleshooter after you have installed the application. When you complete the troubleshooting, notice if the error recurs or not.
Power-Cycle your Windows Device
In case you can’t secure the device from the ‘Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed’ issue, then you can try this fix. The computer might have gone to an unresponsive mode, you should press the power button for a while.
After that, you can remove the power cable from it and detach the battery. Wait for 5 to 10 minutes and turn on the computer. Check if it resolves the issue.