Microsoft Word or MS Word is a word processor developed by the Microsoft team. As days are on, the updated version comes in front, and the outdated version of MS Word was ineligible to open the latest format of documents. In related to this topic, many of the users are complaining about the “Microsoft Word” not responding” issue. If this is the error that you are stuck with and searching for the methods of how to solve it. Then, you can proceed with this article. After studying this article, you will get the complete information regarding the error along with the solving methods. So, check out further, and stick to the end for grabbing the complete information of the not responding issue of the MS Word.
The latest version of the MS Word application is also supportable for the other Operating Systems rather than Windows, macOS is one of them. However, if you are struggling with the not responding issue of the MS Word application on MacOS, then, also you can read this article. This article describes the methods to solve the “Microsoft Word not responding” error for both the Windows and the Mac Operating System in a separate section.
What are the Possible Causes for the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” issue?
According to the expert’s report, these below are the probable causes of the “Microsoft Word not responding” issue.
- Added Add-ins on MS Word
- A Conflict with the Antivirus Software
- Corrupt or Missing MS Word Files
- Outdated Version of MS Word Application
- Inappropriate Document Name
So now let’s proceed to the solution section of this article. With the application of these methods, you can get rid of the not responding error of the MS Word application.
Methods to Solve the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” Glitch for Windows and macOS:
Finally, now you have reached the solution section of the “MS Word not responding” issue. So, try out the methods as given below one by one, according to the OS that you are using to operate the MS Word application.
Methods to Fix the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” Glitch for the Windows Users
If you are a Windows user, then proceed to these below-said methods to resolve the not responding matter of MS Word application. The methods are quite simple and are already tested by many of the users to solve the MS Word not responding issue. So, you can rely on them.
Method 1: Disable> Remove Add-ins on MS Word
Add-ins are the extra feature added tools. If you add unsupportable third-party add-ins on Microsoft Word then, this will result in such a problem. If this is the case, then the solution for it is very simple, you just need to identify the problematic add-ins at first. And then you need to remove that add-ins permanently from your device. Hence, follow as directed below:
Steps to disable Add-ins on Microsoft Word
These below are the steps to follow to disable all the add-ins from MS Word.
In Short: File> Options> Add-ins> Go (Manage)> Uncheck> OK
- At first, launch the Microsoft Word application.
- After that, from the top left-hand side corner click on the “File” tab.
- Next, click on the “Options” option which is located at the left-hand side panel of the File tab opened window.
- Then, select “Add-ins”, from the left-hand side pane of the ‘Word Options’ window, this will open up the list of the add-ins on MS Word at the right-hand side panel.
- After that, at the bottom of the window, you will see the “Go” button beside Manage, click on it to continue.
- Now, you need to uncheck the checkboxes for the third-party add-ins from the list, to disable them.
- Next, click on the OK button to save the changes.
- Now, close all the open window on the computer, and restart the PC.
- Once the PC turned on, now, launch the MS Word file, to check if the issue gets solved.
- And if the problem still persists, then, now, the next step is to identify the culprit add-ins from the add-ins list on MS Word to remove that permanently from the PC. And for that, follow the further steps as below.
Identify the Culprit Add-in> Remove it from the List
These further steps is to free a little space on your PC along with enabling the other add-ins on MS Word.
In Short: File> Options> Add-ins> Go (Manage)> Enable add-ins (one then next)> OK= To identify the culprit add-in
File> Options> Add-ins> Go (Manage)> Select> Remove> OK= To remove add-ins from the list
- Further, navigate to the Add-ins manage window by repeating the steps from 1 to 5.
- This time you need to enable the checkboxes for the listed add-ins one by one and press the OK button after each to save the change. After you enable one add-ins, restart the MS Word, to verify and identify the problem causing add-ins on MS Word.
- Once you identify the problematic add-ins from the present add-ins list on MS Word, you need to remove it permanently from the device, which will add a little space on your device.
- And for that, again follow the steps from 1 to 5 to open the add-ins manage window.
- This time, you need to select the culprit add-in which you have identified and then click on the “Remove” button, which is below to the “Add…” button. And then click on OK to confirm.
Hopefully, after following these long steps, you will get the problem solved. But if still the issue exists nothing to worry and try the further method as below.
Method 2: Disable Antivirus Software
As all we know that the function of the antivirus software is to keep the PC protected from threats. However, sometimes, it becomes the main culprit for different problems like not responding issue of the Microsoft Word. And if this is the case, then the only way to fix the problem is to disable the antivirus software. After that, if you find that the problem gets sorted then, you can uninstall the installed antivirus software.
Method 3: Repairing Microsoft Office
This is another effective method to solve the “Microsoft Word not responding” error. If after trying all these above-explained methods, you found that the error persists then go for it. To perform the repairing process of Microsoft Office follow this below path..
In Short: Win+R> appwiz.cpl> OK/ Enter> Microsoft Office Suite> Change> Repair
Method 4: Launch MS Word in Safe Mode
According to many of the users they are able to solve the problem by turning on the Safe Mode for the Microsoft Word processor. Safe Mode is a mode of Windows which cancels all the third-party services and applications and thereby creating a chance for you to get the problem solved if any third-party is the cause. So, let’s know how to do this process.
In Short: Win+S> Microsoft Word> Press Ctrl & Click on Microsoft Word
That’s all you need to perform to turn on the MS Word in Safe Mode. Now, try to proceed with your task using the Microsoft Word application, to check if the issue gets fixed. And if not, then you need to restart your computer to turn off the Safe Mode for Microsoft Word.
Method 5: Rename the Word File
Renaming the Word file will solve the problem is something which might be heard odd to the users. But, in reality, it is possible. If you have downloaded a file from any source like email, or exam portals, you might be the one facing the “Microsoft Word not responding” error, while you are trying to open it via MS Word. If this is the case, then try this short trick which may solve the issue.
In Short: Right-click on the file> Rename> Set a name> Press the Enter Button.
Now, try to open the MS Word file, to check if the issue gets resolved.
All these are the workarounds for the Windows users with the application of which you can fix the “Microsoft Word not responding” error efficiently. So, before worrying about the error, it is always better to try some fixes, which may make you feel happy by solving the matter.
Methods to Fix Microsoft Word Not Responding Mac:
Now it’s the Mac users turn to learn the methods of solving the “Microsoft Word not responding Mac” issue. Before wasting time, let’s proceed to methods directly. So, let’s begin.
Method A: Clear the Auto Recovery folder
Trying the “Clear the Auto Recovery folder” method will be the best idea to solve the “Microsoft Word not responding” error. And the steps you need to proceed with are as follows:
- First, click on the “Go” tab and under which select the “Home” option.
- After that, from Home window, navigate to the “Documents” folder and click twice on it to open.
- Next, Open the Microsoft User Data folder.
- Under the Microsoft User Data folder, double-click on the folder named as “Office Autorecovery”, to open.
- Then, select all the contents on this folder and transfer them to the desktop screen or any other folder of a different drive.
- Next, reopen the Microsoft Word document, and then, check if the issue gets resolved.
- In case, if still, the error persists, then, continue to try the next method.
Method B: Run Repair Disk Permissions
To run the Repair Disk Permissions, you need to forward with the these steps below, after which you may get the “Microsoft Word not responding” error resolved. So, check out these steps below.
- Click on the “Go” tab from the Apple home screen.
- Next, under the “Go” menu window, select the “Disk Utility” option.
- After that, select the Primary HDD for your computer.
- Then, click on the “First Aid” tab.
- Further, click on “Repair Disk Permissions”. Once the repair process is done, now, try to open Microsoft Word, to check if the issue is solved.
Method C: Remove Word Preferences
Many of the users were able to solve the “Microsoft Word not responding” problem by modifying the Word Preferences under Library. So, check the steps below. Hopefully, this will help you to solve the problem.
- At first, exit all the Microsoft Office applications.
- Then, click on the “Go” tab and under which select the “Home” option.
- After that, open the “Library” folder.
- Next, open “Preferences”.
- Under Preferences, locate the file named as “com.microsoft.word.plist” and move it to the desktop.
- After that, check if the problem is still there or not. And if yes then, close the Microsoft Word application. Next, restore the “com.microsoft.word.plist” file to its actual location and continue with further steps.
- Follow the path: Go> Home> Library> Preferences> Microsoft.
- Then, from the available options under Microsoft, find the file named as “com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist” and move this file to the desktop.
- Next, open the Microsoft Word application to check if the problem gets sorted. If this process also not work for you, don’t be upset and try the further process as below. But before that, restore the “com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist” file to its actual place.
- Open the Library folder and then follow the path: Application Support> Microsoft> Office> User Templates.
- And under the User Templates folder, locate the “Normal” named file and move it to the desktop screen.
- Next, check the problem status by opening the MS Word application. If you get the error solved then remove the “Normal” named file to the Trash. And later you can remove it permanently.
In case after following these steps above, if the error exists then continue to try with the below-explained methods.
Method D: Install the Latest Updates for Microsoft Word on Mac
If the MS Word present on the macOS gets outdated then this is possibly causing the error. You can try to solve the problem by downloading and installing the latest updates for Microsoft Word on Mac. And the steps you need to go through for this purpose are as follows:
- First of all, launch the Microsoft Word application.
- Next, from the top of the MS Word window, click on the Help tab. And then select the “Check for Updates” option under it.
- After that, enable the checkbox for “Automatically Download and Install” under the “How would you like updates to be installed?” screen.
- Then, click on the “Check for Updates” button. This will navigate you to the MS Word update page with the help of the default browser. Now, from here, download the MS Word update and then wait until it gets installed on your computer. During the downloading or the installation process take care of that no disturbance can take place.
- Once the updates get installed, restart your computer. After that, launch the MS Word application to check if the issue gets resolved.
All these are the complete methods to get fixed the “Microsoft Word not responding” error. Hopefully, you will not face any problem to perform the methods as explained above. So, check them sincerely at first before you apply, to avoid any further problems.
Now, hopefully, you have got the complete knowledge about how to fix the “Microsoft Word not responding” error. If there is any query left on your mind regarding the said topic, then you can leave a message on the comment section given below.