The Microsoft teredo tunneling adapter is a software that allows the computer to run both the versions of Internet Protocols i.e. IPv4 and IPv6. It is basically a special adapter that helps to translate a domain name for IPv6. When this adapter malfunctions or is missing, then you can get various kinds of glitch information. There are a few reasons for this problem. Some of the usual causes are if the Windows Operating System is obsolete, then you can encounter this issue.
Further, if the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter driver is corrupt due to some internal glitch, then there is a chance to get this error. Moreover, if the driver software of this adapter is not enabled, then this problem can crop up. This article will help you to eliminate all the problems within an hour.
Requirements for Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter’s Smooth Functioning
As you know that the IPv4 uses 32-bit addresses, which means that it can support and assign up to 2^32 i.e. approximately four billion IP addresses to the devices. But, since due to the increase in the number of devices the unique IP address is going to end. So, there is a need to introduce a version of IP address which can accommodate more devices i.e. IPv6, once the existing set gets exhausted.
Now, the problem is that, since the computers are developed in such a way that they can understand the IPv4 addresses easily, but fails to do so when IPv6 addresses come along. This is the reason why the Teredo Tunnelling adapter is required. It is basically a translator that helps the machine to smoothly convert an IPv4 to IPv6 address and vice versa. This is done so that there is no communication problem between computers via the internet.
Methods to Fix Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Missing Problem Easily
In this section of the article, you will get various methods that will aid in resolving the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter missing error effectively.
Examine all the System Files Using SFC
When some critical system files within the Windows OS gets corrupted somehow, then you can encounter this error. The solution to resolve this issue is to use a utility called ‘SFC’. The ‘SFC’ or ‘System File Checker’ is an in-built tool that checks all the system files within the OS for any corruption. Now, if this finds any corrupted system files then those will automatically get changed by a cached copy. In order to do that follow the steps below.
- First, press the combination of both keys ‘Windows + R’ simultaneously. This will open a dialogue box with the name ‘Run’.
- Within this dialogue box, right next to the label ‘Open:’ type the following text on a blank space – “cmd” and then, press the button ‘OK’. This launches a new window, that has a name ‘Command Prompt’ with a black background and text in white color.
- Within this window just type the following command and then press ‘Enter’ key to execute – “sfc /scannow”. This command will scan the computer for any corrupt system files. If the tool SFC finds any problematic files then, that will be automatically get replaced with a good copy. Wait for this command to execute completely.
- Once the execution is over, close the ‘Command Prompt’ window and restart the machine.
Finally, check if this error comes back or not. If it does, then move to the next alternative.
Installation Procedure of the Adapter
When the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter goes missing, then the most reliable solution is to install it accurately. Here are the simple steps in order to do it.
- First, press the combination of both the keys ‘Windows + X’ simultaneously. This opens the Power options menu. From that menu, choose the option ‘Device Manager’.
- As soon as you do this, then a new window will come up that has the same name as the option you chose on the last step. Now, within this window, you will see all the devices and their corresponding drivers in a list and sublist respectively.
- From the list, locate and choose the device category ‘Network adapters’. Next, double-click on it to expand and reveal the sublist which contains the drivers.
- Now, go to the menu bar of this window and select the item ‘Action’. Then, from the drop-down popup list, choose the option ‘Add legacy hardware’. This will trigger to open another window that has a name ‘Add Hardware’.
- Within this window move to the bottom and then click the button ‘Next’. After that, on the new page that comes up, select the option ‘Search for and install the hardware automatically (Recommended)’. Tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- Now, there will be a list and from it, you will have to choose the type of hardware option, which is ‘Network adapters’, then press the button ‘Next’.
- On the new page that shows up, there will be two lists – one is for the ‘Manufacturer’ of the hardware and the other is for the name of the ‘Model’ respectively. From the first i.e ‘Manufacturer’ list, choose the option ‘Microsoft’ and then, select the ‘Microsoft Teredo Tunnelling Adapter’ from the second one. Click on the button ‘Next’.
- When the page, with the heading ‘The wizard is ready to install your hardware’, comes up, then initiate the installation process, tap on the final ‘Next’ button.
- Wait for the installation procedure to complete, once it is done then, press the button ‘Finish’ to get rid of this window.
- Finally, on the ‘Device Manager’ window, see if this adapter is in the sublist. Navigate and click on the last icon ‘Scan for hardware changes’, just below the menu bar.
If this process was not enough, then you can go for the next feasible method listed below.
Alter the Registry Key
If the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter missing error pops up, then it can be due to some kind of alteration within the registry key. The solution to resolve this problem is to alter the value of this key. Follow the steps below, to correctly configure the registry.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows’ logo to open the options menu. Then, from that menu select the option ‘Run’. This will launch a dialogue box having a similar name as the option you chose on the previous line.
- Within that dialogue box, write the text – “regedit” on an empty area and then, press the button ‘OK’. At this moment, a new window will show up with the name ‘Registry Editor’.
- It is good to take a backup of the registry before you begin to change it. To do it, follow the sub-points beneath.
- First, find and choose the registry key which you are willing to change. Then, go to the menu bar and choose the item ‘File’.
- After that, from the popup options list, select the option ‘Export…’. Next, from the dialogue box ‘Export Registry File’, properly select the location where you want to put the key.
- Once the location is finalized, then input the name of the registry key within the blank area beside the label ‘File name:’. Lastly, click on the ‘Save’ button.
- Next, follow this path until the folder ‘Parameters’ comes from the left panel of this window – “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters”.
- After that, go to the right panel and then, locate the key ‘DiasbleComponents’. Now, right-click on this key and then choose the option ‘Modify…’ from the popup menu that shows up.
- At this moment, a new dialog box will show up ‘Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value’. On this dialogue box, go to the section ‘Value data:’ and in it alter the number to zero and tap ‘OK’.
Finally, close every window, dialogue box and reboot the system. After that, inspect whether this error reappears or not.
Enable the Adapter Using Command Prompt
Sometimes, when the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter driver is not activated, then the computer will not be able to translate. And thus there will be a network connection issue. To rectify this problem the feasible solution is to simply activate the adapter, which is performed via the ‘Command Prompt’. Here are the steps to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana’ logo that will open the search area. Within that area, type the text “command prompt”.
- Next, from the result of this search, locate the option ‘Command Prompt’ and right-click on it. After that, from the popup menu that comes up, select the item ‘Run as Administrator’.
- As soon as you click on that, then a new window will pop up that has a similar name as an option chosen on the previous step.
- Within this window, just input the command that follows and then tap on the ‘Enter’ key to just run it – “netsh interface Teredo set state disable”. This command will simply deactivate the adapter, so wait for the execution of this command to complete.
- After that, close the ‘Command Prompt’ and restart the PC. When the computer starts up, then launch the ‘Command Prompt’ window once again with the help of the first two steps of this section.
- On this window, type the following command – “netsh interface Teredo set state type=default” and now, press ‘Enter’ to execute. This command will enable or activate the Teredo Tunnelling adapter’.
Finally, go to the ‘Device Manager’, click on ‘Network adapter’ and see if this adapter is present there or not.
Windows 10 Update Procedure
In order to get rid of the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter problem, as a last resort, you can update the Windows Operating System. Since an update process can resolve most problems present within the computer, therefore this issue can also be removed. Below there are steps on how to update the Windows are present, so follow them.
- First, hit the ‘Windows’ logo present on the taskbar. This launches the ‘Start’ menu, then from it choose the ‘Gear’ just above the ‘Power’ icon. At this moment a new application will open up, with the heading ‘Windows Settings’.
- Inside this window, you will get plenty of settings categories on a list that can help to alter the OS according to your preference.
- Now, from that list, navigate and then select the category ‘Update & Security’. After that, a new page within this window will show up.
- On this page, go to the left pane and then choose the option ‘Windows Update’. Next, move to the right panel that has the same name on the heading as the option you chose previously.
- So, under that heading navigate to the button ‘Check for updates’ and click on it. As soon as do this, then the OS will automatically start to search for any updates available for itself. Now, if it finds some update modules, then those will be there on the list and immediately the download process will start.
- After the download of every update module is complete, then at the end of that list there will be a ‘Restart now’ button. Click on that button to reboot the machine.
- When the computer boots up, then instantly the installation process of those updates will begin.
At last, once all the updates installation is over, then you will get the desktop or the lock screen. Further, the problem will get mitigated immediately.
If you follow the steps on the previous section, then it will be very easy for you to rectify the issue with the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling adapter. Now, even after following the points mentioned above, if you are still unable to eradicate this issue, then do not panic. Just provide the necessary details of the query that you have encountered on the comment section, below this page.