Apple Inc. is the manufacturer of Mac computers and various others devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad. Even this company develops much software for their own devices. One of the best selling products of this company is the Mac computer. Due to its various industry leading features and applications, this product has gained huge attention of the consumers. In the performance area also this computer excels significantly than any others in the market. Despite the fact that this computer has so much unique and good features, even then you can get many different errors. One such error that you can encounter is the Mac sound not working. In the next section, you will get the reasons why this error occurs.
Reasons Behind Mac Sound Not Working Issue
This section will provide the various reasons why does this issue happen after all. Follow the steps below to know those various reasons.
- You can face this issue if there is a bug in the sound application on your Mac.
- If the settings of the audio output are not correct, then also you can encounter this error.
- If you have any external devices connected on the Mac, then also you might face the Mac sound not working issue.
- Even, if the Bluetooth is switched on, then you cannot get the sound output from your Mac device.
- If the NVRAM settings in your Mac has any corrupt configuration, then you can get no sound output.
- When the MacOS is obsolete or outdated then also you might get this issue.
In order to rectify or resolve this issue, you need to go to the next section and get the requires solutions.
Steps To Solve The Mac Sound Not Working
In this section, you will get various steps that will help you to solve this given error.
Inspect The Sound On Any Other Applications
Be sure to play the sound on other applications like iTunes, YouTube, etc. After that, inspect if this issue is happening on one or in every other application. If this issue is on only one application then that particular app has a bug in it. In order to resolve this issue, the only solution is to update or delete the application. Now, if all the applications have the problem of no sound then go to the next point.
Examine The Settings Of Audio In Your Mac
If the sound settings on your Mac is set to low or is mute, then you cannot able to hear any sound. To turn up the volume of your Mac, follow the steps below.
- Go to the dock, then select the ‘Gear’ icon to open the ‘System Preferences’ window. Now, in that window select on the icon ‘Sound’.
- In the ‘Sound’ window, tap on the tab ‘Output’. Then, under the label ‘Select a device for sound output:’ choose an option ‘Internal Speakers’. After that, go to the bottom of this window and slide the slider to the extreme right and be sure that the ‘Mute’ option on the right is deselected.
- If you cannot able to see the ‘Internal Speakers’ alternatively if you see ‘Digital Output’ or ‘No output devices found’ options. Then, insert the headphone jack into the port and take it out. Repeat this process untill the ‘Internal Speakers’ show up. After this, repeat the second step.
- At last, examine that you get back the audio on your Mac.
Unplug Any External Speakers
If you are not able to hear sound from Mac since because of its output audio to any external speakers or electronic equipment like TV, headphones, etc. Then, the one and only solution to get rid of this Mac sound not working issue is to disconnect all the external devices. Now, finally check if you can able to hear any sound. If you cannot able to hear any sound after unplugging external devices, then move to the next section.
Switch Off Bluetooth
If you get no sound problem even after you have unplugged all the external devices. Then, see if the Bluetooth is enabled i.e switched on. If it is turned on then it is possible that the audio is being sent to any Bluetooth audio device or headphone. If that is the case, then you need to switch off the Bluetooth to get rid of any audio problems.
- First, from the dock, select ‘System Preferences’. Then, within the window select ‘Bluetooth’ option. Now, see if the option says ‘Bluetooth: On’.
- If the Bluetooth is on then select ‘Turn Bluetooth Off’ to switch the Bluetooth off. After that, close the window.
- If the Bluetooth is off, then simply close the window only.
- Lastly, inspect and see if the no sound Mac issue is still there or not.
Again Set NVRAM
When you reset NVRAM, then that sets all the default settings. This includes the volume of the speaker, time, display settings, etc. In order to reset NVRAM do the following steps:
- First, turn off the Macintosh computer.
- Turn it back on, then immediately press down the ‘Command key + Alt + P + R’ simultaneously.
- Hold these keys down untill you hear the startup sound.
- Your computer will get the default settings once the Mac computer starts again. But you need to reset the settings of your speaker, volume etc according to your liking.
- At last, check the audio and see if it is perfectly working or not.
Reboot Your Macintosh
If you get the Mac sound not working error then the easiest way to solve this error is to perform a simple restart of the system. A restart can fix any minor problems that your Mac faces.
Now, when the computer reboots once again then inspect if you got the audio back.
Update Operating System Of Your Macintosh
If after following all the above steps, you fail to solve this no sound Mac issue. Then, one and only solution for you is to update the Operating System of your Mac Computer. To update the MacOS follow the steps below.
- First, tap on the ‘App Store’.
- Now, within that window, choose ‘Updates’.
- After that, from the list click on the recent Mac OS and update will start.
- Now, allow the computer to download the new OS, then it will install itself. After installation of the OS is over the machine will reboot automatically.
- At last, examine the audio on your Mac
Make A New Account To Test Audio On Safe Mode
Using this method you can check whether the audio problem on your Mac occurs only the existing user account or not. To create a new account follow the steps below:
- Turn off your Mac.
- Now, to get into the ‘Safe Mode’ press both the ‘Shift’ button and ‘Power’ key simultaneously. Press these keys untill the Apple logo is visible.
- After that, select the ‘System Preferences’ by clicking ‘Gear’ logo.
- Inside that window, select ‘Users & Groups’ category.
- Then, tap on the lock icon. Next tap on ‘+’ icon to add a new option. Now, if you are prompted to enter the password then type it.
- In the dialog box, besides the label ‘New Account’ click the drop-down menu and select ‘Administrator’. In the label, ‘Full Name’ write what name you wish to keep for the new account. Finally, tap on the button ‘Create User’.
- Now, in order to create a user account without a password, you will have to hit ‘OK’ and then ‘Close’ button.
- At last, reboot your machine and sign-in to your Mac with the new user account. After you have done this, examine whether the audio is working correctly or not.
If you follow the steps mentioned in the previous section minutely, then you can solve the Mac sound not working error perfectly. If can not able to do so then post your query on our comment section and we will get back to you instantly.