Although, Laptops are quite prone to errors despite being one of the most portable devices. It is quite annoying when the audio section of your laptop doesn’t work properly. At times, the speaker of Laptop randomly stops working thereby providing a very irritating experience. There are a number of reasons that are responsible for this error to occur. One of the primary causes is driver issue. Hence, you have to remove the error with the most trusted solution to prevent further damage. Hence, stick to this article to know the exact solutions for laptop speakers not working error.
Speakers Not Working on Laptop? Try Out the Effective Troubleshooting Steps
Here are some effective steps, using which you will be able to troubleshoot this error correctly. So, try out the provided method mentioned below exactly as instructed below.
Method 1: Reinstall Your Audio Drivers
Audio drivers are an important factor that can lead to laptop speakers not working error. So, in order to resolve this error, reinstalling the audio driver is one of the most effective methods. Therefore, follow the below instructed steps.
- At first, press the Windows key and the X key on your keyboard. Then, select the Device Manager option which is situated under the list.
- Scan for the hardware changes device manager.
- Now, you have to find the audio drivers in the list and right click on it. Then, select the device from the menu.
- If the option is available, check the Remove driver software for this device. After that, you have to tap on the Uninstall button, in order to proceed it.
- Once you remove the driver, you need to choose the Scan for hardware changes icon, in order to install the default driver.
- After completing this approach, the default driver will be installed in your computer and the issue will be resolved.
Method 2: Update Audio Driver
Outdated drivers are another reason behind this error to occur. At times, even the default driver fails to work properly. In that case, try to update your drivers using these steps:
- First of all, you have to visit the laptop manufacturer’s website.
- Now, navigate to the Drivers section and search for your laptop model.
- After that, you have to search and download the latest audio drivers for your device.
- After completing all of the steps, you have to run the setup file to install them.
Method 3: Modify Your Registry
Many users have reported that they are getting this particular error while using Realtek drivers. Now, in order to resolve this error, you have to change some settings in your registry. To do so, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you need to press the Windows logo key and the R at the same time in order to launch the Run dialog box. In this dialogue box, you need to press the Enter key or tap on the OK button to complete the task.
- Once you are able to open the Registry Editor, go to the following key:
- After completing all of the steps, you have to right click on the left panel as well as you have to choose the Permissions from the menu.
- Once done, you have to select Users from the list of accounts. After that, you have to check Full Control which is situated in Allow column as well as tap on the Apply option.
- Now, go to the Ok button to save the changes.
- After making these changes, you have to check if this error still persists or not.
Users have reported that, if you are using Realtek device, then it can resolve this error as well. In case, if you don’t use the Realtek audio, you can avoid this solution.
Method 4: Be Sure About that Your Sound is Not Muted
In case your laptop speakers not working, then it might happen that your sound is muted. In order to check whether the sound is muted or not, you need to search for volume icon which is situated in the bottom right corner of your desktop. Once done, you have to tap on the icon and be sure that your volume is set to maximum.
In addition, you can also check your audio mixer. In case, if you are not aware of Windows contains its own audio mixer with the help of which you will be allowed to control audio levels for the individual applications. To check if the audio mixer is the error or not, you have to perform the following steps:
- At first, you have to play any multimedia file. You can perform it by playing a YouTube video or by using your multimedia player.
- When you see this file is playing in the background, you have to right click on the volume icon and select the Open Volume Mixer from the menu.
- Now, open the volume mixer laptop speakers no sound.
- Once done, a new list will appear. Now, you have to resize the window.
- Again, a new window will appear. After that, you have to resize the Window so that you can notice all the audio. Here, you have to search for your multimedia player and move the slider to the upwards direction. Lastly, be sure about Speakers and System Sounds channels sliders are set to the upwards.
- Once you complete this step, you have to check if the problem with audio is still there or not.
In addition to the volume control and the audio mixer, you are advised to check if this sound is actually enabled in your laptop. Most of the laptops have built-in audio control buttons, and a mute button, be sure that you have checked them correctly.
These keys are already set to the F keys on the top of the keyboard. To active them, you need to hold the Fn key on your laptop as well as you have to tap on the appropriate F key.
Method 5: Check the default audio device
Checking the default audio device is another effective fixes to resolve the error. It can happen that, your speakers may not be set as the default audio device. Hence, follow as directed below:
- At first, right click on the audio icon and which is situated in the bottom right corner. Now, you have to choose Sounds from the menu option.
- Now, the Sound window will appear. You need to navigate to the Playback section and right click on the empty space. Check the Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices options.
- Once done, right click on your speakers and choose Set as default device from the menu.
- Tap on the Apply and tap on the Ok button in order to save the changes.
- After completing these changes, check if this error persists or not. If this error persists then try to follow the next method.
Method 6: Run Windows Troubleshooter
Windows contains built-in troubleshooters which can allow you to fix more than one computer errors. Hence, trying this method will surely help you to eliminate the error. In order to use the troubleshooter, try to follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to open the Settings and go to the Update & Security section.
- Choose Troubleshoot option from the left side. Now, select Playing Audio and tap on Run the troubleshooter button.
- Go through the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
- Once this troubleshooter finishes its task, check the status of the error. If this error persists, you can try to run the additional troubleshooters like Hardware and Devices troubleshooter in order to verify whether it helps you to fix this error or not. If not, then try to follow another alternative method.
Method 7: Check that your audio sensor is working or Not
Every laptop contains an audio output jack, but some time due to some glitch present in the audio jack can also cause laptop speakers not working error. The audio jacks contain its own sensor. So, if you connect your headphones then the sensor will organize them and will turn off your speakers. However, errors with the audio sensor can occur at any time and the sensor becomes jammed.
As a result of which your PC will act as if your headphones are connected and it automatically disables your built-in speakers. It could be a serious problem but, there are some quick hacks, using which can help you to resolve this error.
It is recommended to connect your audio device to your audio jack on the laptop and the audio sensor will get unstuck. In case, if you don’t have any audio devices, then you can use other objects like toothpicks but the audio jack will work the best.
You can resolve laptop speakers not working error using these simple methods given above. But in case, if you are aware of any other steps, then you can inform us via your valuable comments. Connecting a technician can also be a wise decision to resolve the error without much hassle