The “iMessage waiting for activation” error, in most cases, appear due to the slow cellular signal.
There can be plenty of other reasons as to why this error occurs after all.
If the time and date settings of the iPhone are not configured in a proper way, then there is a huge possibility for you to encounter this error.
Again, if there is some software bug within the iMessage application, then this error can crop up. Further, if the ‘Airplane’ mode is active, then also this issue can come up.
Moreover, if there are any restrictions within the iMessage application, then even you can face this problem.
Here, we have listed the solutions to fix this problem and hopefully, after applying them, you’ll be able to resolve this issue on your own. So, go through this article in its entirety and learn more.
Best Methods to Resolve the “iMessage Waiting for Activation” Issue
This section provides you with a plethora of effective methods which will aid you in solving the glitch: Waiting for activation on iMessage.
Procedure 1: Set the Time and Date Correctly
If the time and date settings are wrongly set, then for that reason, this error message can show up. Now, the easiest way to resolve this issue is to simply set the date and the time of the device correctly. For that to happen, follow the steps below.
- First, unlock the iPhone, and then locate and tap on the ‘Settings’ application.
- As soon as you do that, a new application window will appear, with the name ‘Settings’.
- Next, within that window, scroll down a bit and then choose the ‘General’ option from the list. After that, a new page within that window will show up, which has a heading ‘General’.
- Now, from that page, locate and then tap on the ‘Date & Time’ option. Now, another new page having ‘Date & Time’ as heading will open.
- Within that page, go to the option ‘Set Automatically’ and toggle the switch to the right. This action will turn on the option, thereby allowing the iPhone to automatically set the time and date according to the current location.
- At last, go to the iMessage application and check if this error is present or not.
Procedure 2: Activate and Deactivate the Airplane Mode
Sometimes the error message “iMessage says waiting for activation” can get fixed by first activating the ‘Airplane Mode’ and then after sometime disabling it. Here are the steps that you can follow to do that.
- First, find the ‘Settings’ application and then tap on it to open. After that, on the new window with the heading ‘Settings’, locate and then choose the ‘Messages’ option.
- Next, on another page having a name ‘Messages’, find and then toggle off the ‘iMessages’ option.
- Now, go to the main ‘Settings’ page and then locate the ‘Airplane’ mode. Then, turn that mode on. This action will disable all the wireless connections to and from the iPhone automatically.
- Then, manually toggle the ‘Wi-Fi’ mode on. After that, re-enable the iMessages.
- Now, there will be a prompt to input the ‘iPhone’ passcode, so enter the same.
- Now, open the ‘Settings’ application once again and toggle the ‘Airplane’ mode to off. As soon as you do that, a prompt will appear that saying ‘Your carrier may charge for SMS”. Below this prompt, tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- At last, try to use the ‘iMessages’ application and see whether this issue is present or not.
Procedure 3: Sign in to the iMessage Once Again
When the iMessage application is not set in the correct way, you might encounter this problem. Now, the one and only solution to resolve this problem is to sign in to the iMessage application once again. In order to do that, follow the steps provided below.
- First, to launch the ‘Settings’ application, go to the ‘Procedure 1’ of this section and then follow the first step.
- After that, on the ‘Settings’ page which opens up, click on the ‘General’ option. After that, on the new page that comes up with the name ‘General’, choose the ‘Messages’ option.
- Then, from the ‘Messages’ page locate the ‘iMessages’ option and turn it off.
- Now, wait for a minute and then turn on the ‘iMessages’ option. At this moment, the device will ask you to sign in using the ‘AppleID’. So do the same. This action will allow you to re-sign to the ‘iMessages’ application.
- Lastly, check whether this error is still present or not.
Procedure 4: Delete the iMessage Application Restrictions
Sometimes, due to any kind of restrictions set within the ‘iMessages’ application, you might face this glitch. Now, the easiest answer to getting rid of this problem is to delete all the restrictions present within the ‘iMessages’ application. To do that in a proper way, follow the steps presented underneath.
- First, launch the ‘Settings’ application and then tap on the ‘General’ option from the list.
- After that, from the new page with the name ‘General’, locate and then choose the ‘Restrictions’ option.
- Then, enter the ‘Restrictions’ passcode. Next, locate the ‘iMessages’ application and turn this restriction off.
- Finally, see if this error comes back or not when you attempt to use the ‘iMessage’ application.
Procedure 5: Disable and then Enable the iMessage Application
If you cannot remove the ‘waiting for activation’ message from the iMessage application, then you can try to fix this by deactivating and then after sometime activating the ‘iMessage’ application.
These are the steps that you can follow, to rectify this problem.
- Locate the ‘Settings’ application and then tap on it to launch the same.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with the heading ‘Settings’ will come up. In it, scroll down until you see ‘Messages’ option.
- Once a new page having a heading ‘Messages’ comes up, navigate to the ‘iMessage’ option and toggle the switch to left. This action will turn off this feature.
- Now, restart the iPhone. To do that, follow the substeps that appear below.
- First, press the ‘Top’ button and then hold on it until the ‘Slide to Power Off’ slider appears.
- Now, drag the slider from left to right side of the screen in order to turn off the device completely.
- When the device shuts down fully, tap on the ‘Top’ or ‘Power’ button and hold it until the ‘Apple’ logo comes up on the screen.
- After the iPhone starts up, then once again go to the ‘Settings’ application and then activate the ‘iMessage’ option.
- Lastly, try to use the ‘iMessage’ application and then see if this issue appears or not.
Procedure 6: Set the Network Connection Once Again
If the iDevice has some problem in connecting to the Internet, then the iMessage waiting for activation on iPhone 7 can come up. The best solution to resolve this issue is to set the network connectivity once again. Here are the steps on how can you do that.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app by following the first step on the ‘Procedure 4’ of this section.
- Once a new page comes up with a heading ‘Settings’, tap on the ‘General’ option. Now, another page having the heading ‘General’ will appear.
- Now, within this page, scroll down a bit and then choose the ‘Reset’ option. After that, from the page with a heading ‘Reset’, tap on the ‘Reset Network Settings’ option.
- To access the wireless network you need to re-enter the WiFi password.
- At last, utilize the ‘iMessage’ application and then examine if this problem comes up or not.
Procedure 7: Perform an Update of the iOS
If none of the above procedures is able to resolve this issue, then as the final solution you can update the iOS. The steps regarding how to do it are in the following.
- First, put your iPhone on the charge. Then, connect to the wireless network that is presently available.
- After that, go to the ‘Settings’ application. Then, from the page with the heading ‘Settings’ choose the ‘General’ option.
- On the new ‘General’ page that appears, locate and then choose the ‘Software Update’, just below the ‘About’ option.
- As soon as you do that, the iPhone will start to look for any available updates for iOS. If there is an update available, you will see ‘Install Now’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- In order to initiate the update process, click on the ‘Install Now’ button and then wait for that procedure to get over.
- Once the update process gets over, restart the iPhone.
The iMessage activation issue can easily be resolved if you follow the solutions given here carefully and minutely. However, if even after following all the methods provided, you are still unable to correct this issue, then, do not worry.
Just, provide the details of the query that you have in the comment section below and get your query answered by a tech professional.