If you are a new user then you must be unaware of the Vlookup’s function in Excel. If you do not know what is Vlookup or how to use Vlookup in excel, then this guide is definitely for you.
Basically, Vlookup is an abbreviated term for Vertical lookup. It is a built-in function of Excel which helps to gather information from a datasheet. It helps to get a value from any of the singular columns, and easily provide the proper number as the “column index”.
If you are looking for the procedure on how to use Vlookup in Excel 2016, then this guide will help you out. So, move on to the steps that are mentioned below.
Steps on How to Use Vlookup in Excel 2016?
If you are using the Microsoft excel 2016, then here is the appropriate procedure on how to use Vlookup in Excel 2016.
Go through the steps that are described below.
At first, click on the Start button to open the menu. Then, click on the Excel 2016 option from the appearing list of results. This will help you to open a new Excel document. Double click on a Blank Workbook. Now, you note down the required data.
After that, follow the next steps that are given below.
- Note down the required data in the blank worksheet. (For an example write down Part Number in the A1 cell, Part Name in the B1 cell, Part Price in the C1 cell.)
- Go to the A column and enter the part numbers in the A2, A3, and A4 column.
- Then, go to the B column and write down the three-part name in the B2, B3, and B4 column.
- Select the C2 column and go to the Formatting toolbar and click on the ‘dollar’ sign. This will help you to turn on the data to be shown as price values.
- Click on the E2 cell and write down “Number”. Followed by type “Price” in the E3 cell.
- Choose the F2 cell and note down the part numbers, then execute the formula.
- Choose the F3 cell and write down: “=VLOOKUP (lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num,( range_lookup))
- Lookup_ value is the value that you use to identify the item what you are searching for.
- Choose the F2 cell in this case, as we are looking up the item using the part number.
- The formula will take F2 as the lookup value. Then, put a comma this will help you to move the “table_array”.
- After that, click on the A cell and drag row from A to C. This will find out the data which you are looking for.
- Insert a comma to proceed with the third argument in the formula.
- Then, type 3 and insert another comma. Here, type 3 because you need to bring the information from column 3.
- Write down false it will seem to look like “=VLOOKUP(F2,A:C,3,FALSE)” and hit the Enter button.
- Thereafter, the F3 should be populated with the price of the Flux Capacitor, $2500.
Now, its time to close the Excel file by following the steps that are given below.
- At first, click on the File option.
- Select the close option from the appearing drop-down menu.
- Lastly, click on the Save button from the appearing pop-up menu of the computer screen.
If you don’t know how to use Vlookup in Excel, then you should go through the steps that are given in the above part of the article. If you feel any difficulties while performing the steps, then leave a comment in the feedback section. Otherwise, you can also seek help from reliable professionals.