After installing an app on your Mac if you find that it is problematic, then you will want to uninstall the software. Otherwise, if you have exceeded the limits of the storage capacity of your hard disk, then you can uninstall the non-essential applications to free it up.
Unlike Windows OS, where apps have their specific uninstallers, uninstalling programs on Mac is quite simple. As you need to drag it from the Apps folder to Trash. But still, there are some apps that can be tricky to uninstall.
Uninstall Apps on Mac OS
There are a few ways to uninstall apps on Mac. Hence, you can have a look at the methods described below:
Method 1: Using Finder
You can choose the application that you want to uninstall and delete it from the Finder. Here’s how to do this:
- First and foremost, navigate to the Finder.
- Afterward, go to the ‘Applications’ folder where all the apps of the system are stored.
- Once the list of apps appears, choose the particular app that you want to delete.
- Right-click on the app and choose the ‘Move to Trash’ option from the list. Else, you also can drag the app icon to the Trash.
- Now, go to the Trash icon and right-click on it. Choose the ‘Empty’ option to clear the Trash.
Besides, you can do this uninstallation using the keyboard as well. In that case, you just have to select the application and then press the ‘Delete’ and ‘Command’ key both at the same time. It will transfer the selected app to the Trash. Afterward, clear the Trash by following the 5th step.
This procedure of uninstalling or removing application works in all versions of the Mac-based computer that are released earlier.
However, if you are using Lion or any latest Mac version, then you can move on to the next procedure provided below.
Method 2: Uninstall Apps from App Store Using Launchpad
As you can see, it is quite easy to uninstall an app on Mac. But, on Mountain Lion or Lion Mac versions, it’s even easier than the iOS method.
Note: It only works on the applications that are installed from the App Store.
How to Uninstall Programs on Mac with Launchpad?
You can’t uninstall an app that you have installed manually through third-party developers. So, here are the steps you can follow to remove certain apps on Mac:
- In the beginning, open Launchpad.
- Then, click on the application icon (spaceship) and hold it.
- Once you see that the app icon starts to blink or shake, tap on the black (X) sign that appears.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Delete’ button to confirm the action.
Launchpad is considered as the quickest method as compared to the drag-to-Trash method. Here, it doesn’t require emptying the Trash. It is also a familiar uninstallation method for the users who are using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod device.