Often, an application can open up automatically in Windows OS based system because of a shortcut file present in the Startup folder. However, in some situations, this random startup of application can cause various types of issue.
If you note that Discord application is starting as soon as you turn On Windows, then you must have configured the settings in such a manner. But, if not, then there must be an internal fault either within the system or the application itself.
Now, if you want to know how to stop Discord from opening on startup, then follow this article till the end. We have provided every possible way to disable the Discord application in Windows 10 and 7.
How to Stop Discord From Opening On Startup?
There are various ways through which you can disable the Discord application to open during the Windows Startup. But, you need to use them properly, in order to get an effective result. So, follow the given instructions.
Remove the Shortcut Folder
Most of the time, you can disable the Discord from opening during the Startup by simply deleting the Startup folder or its contents. And this method will work on all versions of Windows OS.
Now, to use this method on your system, follow the given steps.
- Press the Windows key + R key and launch the Run dialog box.
- Then, in the Run dialog box, type in the following command lines and press the Enter or OK button: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
- After navigating to the StartUp folder, right-click on the Discord application and then, click on the Delete option.
Once the task is accomplished, reboot the system and check whether or not the Discord application is opening on startup.
Disable the Discord From the Startup Tasks
Another way to disable the Discord application lies in the Startup Tasks window and to open it follow the given steps.
- Click on the Start icon and open up the Windows search box. Then, type startup tasks in the search box and hit the Enter button.
- The startup tasks window will open up on the screen. There you will find a list of those applications which opens up during the Windows Startup.
- Now from that list, look for the Discord application and then toggle the switch to Off.
After that, check the system and verify the status of the Discord application.
Use the Task Manager
Now, you can also use the Task Manager in order to disable the Discord application and to do that follow the given steps.
- Open up the Task Manager window by pressing the Ctrl key + Shift key + Esc keys simultaneously.
- Then, tap on the Startup tab and look for the Discord application. Now, if Task Manager opens up in the mini-windows, click on the More Details option to expand it.
- Once you get the Discord application, select it and then hit on the Disable button.
Launch the System Configuration Utility
If you want to know how to stop Discord from opening on startup Windows 7, then follow the given steps:
- Press the Window key + R key to open up the Run dialog box. Then, type ‘msconfig’ in that box and press the Enter key or the OK button.
- This will launch the System Configuration window on the screen. There you need to tap on the Startup tab.
- In that tab, locate the Discord application and uncheck the box beside that option.
After doing that, click on the OK button and then restart the system. While your system is starting up check the status of the Discord application.
Remove the Registry Entry
However, if you are using a Window 10 based system and want to know how to stop Discord from opening on startup Windows 10, then follow the given steps:
- Launch the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and R key. Then, type “regedit” in it and hit the OK button or the Enter key.
- The Registry Editor window will open up on the screen. There, you need to locate the HKEY LOCAL MACHINE folder and then click on the + sign.
- In that expanded area, you will get the SOFTWARE option. Click on it and then expand the Microsoft, then Windows, and then CurrentVersion option.
- Now, click on the Run option. Instantly, a list of those applications will appear on your screen which will open up during the Windows Startup situations.
- From that list, locate and select the Discord application and then hit the Del key.
This will remove the Discord application from the StartUp process and disable it from opening up during the Windows’ initiation.
Use the Discord Application
Now, if you want to use the Discord application in order to perform this diable task then follow the given steps.
- Launch the Discord application and then click on the Gear icon.
- A new window will open up on the screen. There you need to click on the Windows Settings option and enter into its window.
- In that window, you will need to turn Off the toggle beside the Open Discord option.
Once you have done that, click on the OK button and then reboot the system in order to check the effects of your changes.
We hope that our article is able to provide you enough information on how to stop Discord from opening on startup. However, if want more information on this topic, then keep following our upcoming article.