Orbi Wifi systems are configured in AP mode by default as Netgear predicts that you already use a router for your business provided by your ISP. However, it is important to mention here that Orbi Wifi system automatically examine your network during the setup process. If it fails to detect a router in your registered network, it provides you the option to change your Orbi Wifi to the router mode. There are some routers that allow you to configure the device as a wireless access point or AP in order to extend the wireless coverage. By doing so, it will act as a wireless gateway with a purpose to provide a wireless connection. However, it is important to note that once your Netgear router begins to act as an access point, it will lose the typical router functions such as DHCP server or port forwarding. In this article, you will learn the ways to set the Orbi Wifi system AP mode. So, read on and follow the instructions accordingly.
Step-by-Step Methods to Configure your Netgear Orbi Wifi in AP Mode
There are a lot of ways by which you can configure your Netgear router to act as an access point. The steps are simple yet effective. Go through each one of them and follow the guidelines accordingly.
- At first, connect your system to the Netgear Orbi router and launch a suitable web browser.
- Next, visit the Orbi router login page. If you find the page unresponsive, try any one of the following IP addresses that suit your requirement:
- Once you have typed the IP address, you will be prompted to enter your username and password. Go ahead with the process and enter the default login credentials as under:
Both the password and username are case sensitive. Now, if the default login credentials fail to work, then it might happen that you have changed the admin password. In this case, if you forget the new password, you must perform a factory reset in order to restore the router back to its factory default settings.
Further Steps to Follow
- Once you have executed the previous methods successfully, you will see the Netgear homepage to open. Go ahead and click on the Advanced option. Once you have clicked on that, go to Advanced Setup and subsequently on Wireless Settings. At this stage, you need to keep in mind that your router contains the latest firmware. Therefore, you might not find an AP option in case you are using outdated firmware. Now, scroll below to find the AP mode option and enable it. By default, you will find that the IP address of the access point and the DNS server are configured automatically by the DHCP server or by the main router. You can either leave it as it is or manually set the address if you want.
- Next, you will find the option Apply. Click on it and you will lose the connection between your system and the router. Now, proceed to connect one end of the Ethernet cable to any one of the LAN ports of your Netgear router. Once you are done, connect the other end to a LAN port on the main router. Finally, your Netgear Orbi Wifi is set up in the AP mode.
Hope, the above methods were helpful enough to set up AP mode Netgear successfully. We recommend you to follow each and every step very attentively. The workarounds may look a bit complicated at first but is not a challenging task as such. So, you can definitely give a try.
Was the article helpful? If yes, then don’t forget to share your feedback with us. If you have tried any alternative solution to set Orbi Wifi system AP mode, do mention that as well. However, if you find any step confusing or difficult to execute, post your comments. We will try to clear all your queries in our upcoming post.