“How to reset MacBook Air” is one of the most searched questions on the internet associated with this particular version of Apple MacBook.
Undoubtedly, Apple and its components, are very competent in delivering quality performance. In fact, they define sophistication. But, at times, due to some problem, the user may seek ways to reset the MacBook.
Now, the reason for conducting the reset is totally up to the user’s demands and requirements. However, we can present you with the generic reasons for which most execute a reset process in MacBooks.
Furthermore, the procedures, as well as the steps, are extremely easy to follow not to mention their high effectiveness.
Most users believe that there is just a single way to execute the reset procedure. And, if a single thing goes wrong, most step back and hand the system over to a professional.
There exist multiple ways in which you can reset the MacBook device. And, this article discusses just that.
Before Factory Reset Simply Back it All Up
Prior to conducting a factory reset of the system, it is vital to back up files or documents which exists in the system drive. The media files or other essential become vulnerable or rather subject to deletion.
With Time Machine or Time Capsule which Apple has launched recently for Mac OS devices.
This or any other program which follows the rule of 2X2 with two physicals and two clouds backup, be it remote or local.
In case anything unfavorable happens, you can clone your documents and files with the ones which you have backed up.
However, now that you are aware of taking the primary step before conducting a Factory Reset in macOS, you can proceed to the next section. The discussion succeeding the current one holds the ways in which you can execute the reset procedure.
How to Factory Reset MacBook Air: 8 Effective and Quick Ways
There may be plenty of reasons which trigger users to resort to the resetting of their Mac. One of them can be the slow functioning of the programs or the lagging of the system itself.
This section holds eight effective ways to reset. The user can choose any one of them and conduct the procedure.
Also, if anyone of the alternatives fails to bring about the changes that you want, there are seven other ones which promise to serve you effectively.
Now, your query regarding the ways on how to Factory Reset MacBook Air will have ample answers.
Method 1: The Basic or Generic Way
We suggest you begin with the generic way since that is very effective.
- Firstly, press and hold down the Command key and then hit the R button present on the keyboard. Then, turn the mac On.
- Then, proceed to make a choice of the language and then continue. After that, opt for the Disk Utility and then hit the option to Continue.
- Next, choose the Startup Disk which, by default, is named Macintosh HD. It is located in the sidebar and then you must click on the Erase key.
- After that, proceed to opt for the macOS Extended (Journaled) which is present in the dropdown menu.
- Then, click on the option to erase. Now, in case you decide to encrypt the disc in order to integrate extra security, select the option for Journaled, Encrypted.
- A window prompts you to which you must create a new password.
- Then, click on Done and proceed to exit. Now, in case you haven’t, make sure to connect to Wi-Fi present in the right-hand corner at the top.
- Next, from the options of the main menu, make sure to choose the option to Reinstall macOS and then click to Continue.
- Then, press on the Continue option. This triggers a window to pop-up. Make sure to hit the option to Continue there as well.
- After that, click on the option to Agree after reading the software license agreement. Then, proceed to choose the boot disk that you have and select on the Install option.
Now, simply wait for the initial step to take place. The system tends to restart after which it resumes the process of installation. The PC tends to restart after this.
In this way, you can have the answer to your search for “how to Reset MacBook Air”. And, if this does not bring you the favorable changes that you long for, the next procedure surely will.
Method 2: Turn Off FileVault
In case you use FileVault, that needs to be turned off. It employs full-disk encryption in order to prevent unauthorized or unreliable access to the information present on your startup disk.
Now, most computer systems have the feature turned off. However, make sure to check the status either way.
In case you always log in with the password of your account, chances are that the FileVault is turned On. That is because if the FileVault is On, the Mac would always require you to log in with the account password.
In order to disable the FileVault, adhere to the following dedicated steps.
- Firstly, head to the System Preferences and then over to the Security & Privacy.
- After that, click on the tab named FileVault.
- Next, choose the lock button. And, enter the name as well as the password of an administrator.
- Click on the option to Turn Off the FileVault.
- Finally, Restart it.
Once the system starts up, decryption of the startup disk takes place in the background. You must be patient since this takes some time.
Inspect the progress present in the section of the Security & Privacy preferences in the FileVault.
This procedure is yet another way which brings you a simple answer to your search for the ways on how to Factory Reset MacBook Air. And, if this doesn’t bring about anything relevant, make sure to head to the section which succeeds this one.
Method 3: Remove iTunes Authorizations
Apply has introduced an integrated authorization tool in iTunes.
When you tend to authorize the MacBook that you hold or any other device, you must grant the permission to access all your applications, books, audiobooks, movies, and music.
However, the user is permitted to authorize up to 5 computers. So, in case you intend to sell or give the system away, deauthorize that specific system.
Also, you don’t lose any content since nothing is deleted and removed from the system.
- Firstly, launch the iTunes and then sign in with the credentials of your Apple ID, if required.
- After that, from the menu bar present at the top of the monitor screen or the window of iTunes, opt for the Account options.
- Then, head to the Authorizations and then move on to select Deauthorize This Computer.
- Next, enter the credentials of your Apple ID and the password. Then, hit the Return button and then click to Deauthorize.
In this way, you can make desirable changes if you want to start anew. The procedure is effective in serving you with the solution to the common inquiry on how to Factory Reset MacBook Air.
Method 4: Deactivate Programs and Remove Other Authorizations
There are plenty of third-party programs encompassing machine activations and authorizations, specifically sound, video, and image editing applications.
For instance, most Adobe programs demand activation.
Let us throw some light on what program activation actually is. It is the operation of connecting a specific program to an authentic user license. And, it is mandatory that you activate your application prior to using it.
Once you deactivate it, you can easily reactivate the particular license at any time which you think fit, that too, on any system.
Therefore, inspect the record of applications, searching for any software that demands activation keys. After that, locate the deactivation link from the menu bar of the program.
Method 5: Sign Out of iClouds
- Head to the Apple menu and choose the System Preferences.
- Choose the iClouds and then proceed to Sign Out.
- On the display of every pop-up, make sure to eradicate all the personal data.
This removes the data of the calendars, iCloud contact, etc.
Method 6: Sign Out of iMessage
- In the application of messages, you must choose Preferences and then head to the Accounts.
- Then, select the iMessage account which you hold.
- Finally, Sign Out.
Method 7: Restart in Recovery Mode
- Hit the Apple icon and then proceed to Restart. Right after that, press and hold down the Command button and then on the R key until you notice the Apple logo.
- Now, this takes a while. So, wait for some time.
- After that, make a preference of the language as the screen brings up the option for it.
- Finally, choose the option to reboot the MacOS in Recovery Mode.
Method 8: Reinstall Mac OS
- In the macOS Utilities, select the option which states “Reinstall OS X” or “Reinstall macOS” and then hit on the option to Continue.
- After that, simply agree to the Terms and Conditions prior to the installation operation. Also, decide the location where you want to place the program.
- Finally, the system downloads a fresh and new version of macOS. Enter your Apple ID credentials, if required.
In this manner, you can conduct a Factory Reset in your MacBook Air. You can consult a professional to do it for you as well.