The IP address or the Internet protocol address is a numerical label which we use as the identification code of your device when you are surfing the internet or connection with other devices. Almost all the latest multimedia devices such as computers, mobile, smart tv, router have IP Address to communicate with each other.
Recently, we have found that many people want to change their IP address for multiple reasons. But without having proper knowledge of the technical field, changing the IP address of a device can be a difficult task. There are multiple types of IP address available in the technical world. Different IP addresses have different methods to reset it. If you don’t have proper knowledge in this kind of stuff and looking for a complete guide on “how to reset your IP address?”, then you are in the right place. In this article, we are going to provide you a complete guide on what is IP address, why you need to change it and how you can do that. So, follow the rest of the article carefully.
Is it Really Possible to Reset All IP address?
Many people think that all the IP address are changeable but it’s not true. There are mainly two types of IP address available, first one is Static and the other one is Dynamic. The static IP addresses are permanent identification code which is assigned to a particular device by your Internet service provider which cannot be changed with any method. On the other hand, dynamic IP is a temporary identification code which is assigned to your device when you connect to a network. This automatically configured IP addresses are assigned by a DHCP server and they are changeable using various methods.
Why People Change their IP Address
Most of the people change the IP address in order to hide the identity of their device. But, in reality, it won’t help at all because your Static IP address will remain the same and the websites you are trying to access, will know who you actually are even though the dynamic IP is different. But changing the IP address not completely useless. You can use it for any other work such as:
- To overcome a site ban based on IP.
- To change identity following an attack.
- Help you to avoid some restriction based on IP.
- You will be able to register more than one account on a site.
How to Reset IP Address?
Now, coming to the main topic, if you want to know “how to reset IP address?” you have to first determine which IP address you need to reset. For example, if you are blocked on the internet then you need to reset the public IP address but if you are having issues locally then you need to change the private IP address. The method of reset IP address also varies from device to device. So, choose the right process from the below methods depending on your needs.
Change IP Address on your Android Mobile
If you want to change the IP address of your android device to play an online game where you get banned or want to access a restricted website, then there are two methods available for you. They are as follows:
Method 1: With the Help of the Settings Menu (For Local IP Address)
The local IP address of your device is assigned by the router you are connected to. With the help of the local IP address, the router will be able to identify your device and then allow you to exchange information with the internet. If you want to then you can assign a custom IP address to your device. For that, you need to follow the below instructions carefully:
- At first, unlock your android mobile device and then open the Settings menu.
- Now select the Network & Internet option and then click on the WiFi.
- Next, press and hold the name of the WiFi network you are connected to and then select Modify network option.
- When the new window opens tap the Advanced options to open the dropdown settings.
- Now you have to change the IP Setting from DHCP to Static.
- Once you complete the above steps you will be able to change the IP address. Make sure that the new IP address you assigned is at the correct range. For example, If your IP address is 192.168.1.23 then you can change the last 2 digits of the address and can enter anything between 1 to 254.
Method 2: Restart the Internet Connection (For Public IP Address)
If you want to change the Public IP address of your device then it can be easily done without going through too much harass. To change the public IP address, just activate the Airplane Mode of your mobile device and then, wait for a few minutes. After some time, deactivate the Airplane mode and connect with the internet again. To confirm that the following process really changes your device’s Public IP address you can simply open the Google search bar and type What is my IP before and after the process. Now, compare both search result to confirm it really work for you or not.
By any chance, if the method did not work for the device, then you can download a VPN from the Google Play store and use it to change the public IP when you connect with the internet.
Change IP Address on iPhone
Now, if you want to change the IP in an iPhone device then we also have a guide for you. Changing the Public IP will be same as the above section but when it comes to Local IP address, then you can do that by following the steps below:
- At first, Open the Settings app of your iPhone and then select the WiFi option.
- Now, you have to click on the small (i) next to the network in question and then open the Configure IP option.
- Next, choose Manual from the list of options and input the network details manually such as IP address, DNS information, etc
Change the IP Address of Your Computer (Windows)
If you want to change the IP address of a computer then there are numbers of ways available for you. So, try them one by one until you get the desired result.
Method 1: Use Command Prompt
If you want to change the IP address of your computer automatically then the best choice to do that will be using the Command Prompt. It is one of the safest and quickest ways to change the IP address. So if you don’t know how to use the Command Prompt then follow the steps below:
- First, click on the Start menu from the bottom left corner of the screen and then type cmd in the search bar.
- Now from the search result right click on the Command Prompt and then, select Run as administrator option.
- Next, in the command prompt, you have to write ipconfig and then hit the Enter button. By putting this command you will be able to see a list of information about your computer in the black window.
- In the list, you will see a section named as IPv4 Address. Check the numbers on the right side of the heading because this is the current IP address of your computer. When you reset the IP the last digits of the address will be changed and the rest will stay the same.
- After noting down the current IP type the ipconfig/release command and then hit the enter button. Once you input this command your computer’s IP address will be removed add you will be disconnected from the Internet.
- Now simply wait a few minutes to let the above process finished and after a certain amount of time type ipconfig/renew. When you put this command in the box your device will restore a new IP address for him and connect back to the internet.
In some cases when users put the ipconfig/renew command they end up getting the same command as before. If that happens with you then it means that this the best possible IP address for your computer. So if you really want to change it then you have to do it manually.
Method 2: Manually Change IP Address
If the above method does not work for you then you can try to set a private IP address manually. To use this method you will need to get the following information using the Command Prompt:
- Previous IP Address
- Subnet Mask
- Default Gateway
You need to think of a number between 3 to 150 and replace the last digits of the address by this new number. To do that you have to go to the network connections and then, right click on your network adapter. Now choose Status and then click on the Properties option. After that,
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP IPv4) and then choose the Properties option of IPv4. In the new window, you have to click on the option called “Use the following IP Address” and enter the new address in it. Make sure you leave the default gateway and subnet mask the same as before and then click on the Apply or OK button.
By following the above method you will be able to change the IP Manually. For some reason, if you want to restore the settings, then go back to the network connection and choose the option “Obtain the IP Address Automatically” to revert the settings.
Method 3: Power Cycling Process
If you don’t want to go through the complicated and time-consuming steps to reset your public and private IP address, then the simplest option for you will be doing the power cycling of your router and the modem.
To use this method, power off both the devices and wait for a few minutes. After a certain amount of time turn them back on. Most of the cable modems come with a battery backup. If you also have such model then simply powering off will not be enough, you also need to take the batteries off. Once you complete the above step your Private and the Public IP Address will be reset. If it does not happen at the first try, then repeat the process again and again. You can check the public IP Address from Google before resetting, and private by right clicking your network adapter and choosing the Status -> Details.
Hope our article able to solve your all the confusion related “how to reset IP address” and provide a complete guide on the topic. We try our best to provide the best solution for you. If we forget to cover an important part of the topic, how to reset IP address then let us know. We will update our article as soon as possible. If somehow our methods not able to help you to resolve your problem then we will highly recommend getting in touch with an expert for better guidance.