A Screen tearing refers to that situation where the display hardware of the users shows information or data from multiple frames of the game in a single screen. This type of issue usually occurs in a game when the video signal which is coming into the system is not perfectly in sync with the refresh rate of the display. Most of the time, this issue is caused by simple software setting mistakes and misconfigurations. However, in a few circumstances, this issue indicates software incompatibilities and hardware limitations. Now, if you are one of those who is facing this extremely annoying issue during their gameplay and want to know how to fix screen tearing issue in the most effective way then, follow this article. This is because we have provided all the possible solutions that will help you resolve the error in no time. Now, without wasting any time let’s dive into it.
What are the Causes of Screen Tearing Issue?
In a system, there are various types of problematic factors which can trigger the Screen tearing issue in a game. And we have provided some examples of those problematic factors in the below area. Have a look at them.
- Incorrect resolution.
- Unstable frame rates of the game.
- An incompatibility issue with the Game Mode.
- Outdated or bad GPU drivers.
Now, if you have identified all the possible cause of this error message then let’s have a look at the solution to fix the issue.
Trending Ways to Fix Screen Tearing Issue:
There are many ways by which you can resolve the Screen Tearing issue. But in order to get an effective result, you need to apply them in proper order. In this section of the article, we have provided some of the best solutions for the Screen Tearing issue. Have a look at them and try to execute them as instructed below.
Fix 1: Change the Refresh Rate and Resolution
In most of the cases, the Screen tearing issue is caused by the incorrect resolution and refresh rate of the monitor. Hence, you should start your troubleshooting task from them. Now, in order to perform that task on your system, you need to follow some steps and they are given below.
- Launch the Window Search bar by pressing the Windows key + S key. Then, type resolution on the search bar and click on the option which comes forth.
- Now a setting window will come up of the screen. There you need to find and click on the Advanced display settings option.
- Then, the Advanced display settings window will open up and you will get all the details of your display. There you have to click on the Display adapter properties for Display 1 option.
- After that click, a pop-up window will appear on the screen. There you need to tap on the Adapter tab and then click on the List All Modes option.
- Once you do that, a list of different resolutions present on the monitor will appear on the screen. From that list, you need to select that resolution which fits your hardware specifications and then press the OK button.
Now, you just need to restart your system and check whether the Screen tearing issue is resolved or not.
Fix 2: Enable the Nvidia VSync
VSync is a feature of the Nvidia GPUs which helps to fix the screen tearing issue of a game by automatically controlling its frame rates. Now, if your system is equipped with an Nvidia GPU then follow the given steps to activate it.
- Right-click on an empty place of your Desktop in order to open the context menu. In that menu, you will get the NVIDIA Control Panel option. Click on it.
- In the NVIDIA Control Panel, you need to click on the 3D Settings and then select the Manage 3D settings option.
- Now, on the right side of the panel, you need to tap on the Global Settings tab and then click on the Vertical Sync option.
- After that, a new options menu will pop-up on the screen. There you need to click on the “on “ option in order to active the VSync feature.
Once you are done with that, save all the changes that you have made and then take an exit from there. Now, start the game which is suffering from the screen tearing issue and check if the issue is reappearing or not.
Fix 3: Disable the Game Mode and Full-Screen Optimizations
Another thing which may generate this issue in your game is the Windows Game Mode. This is a special feature of Windows 10 that helps users to optimize their system and play any game more smoothly. However, this Windows OS feature isn’t compatible with most of the games present in the market. Hence, a big chunk of Windows 10 users encounter various types of issue in their games while the Game Mode is turned on and the screen tearing issue is one of them. Now, if you want to disable the Game Mode on your system then, follow the steps cited below.
- Open the Setting Window by pressing the Windows key + I key on your keyboard and then click on the Gaming option. This will launch the Gaming window on the screen.
- There you need to hit on the Game bar tab and then turn off the “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar” option.
- After that, tap on the Broadcasting tab and turn the “Record audio when I broadcast” option is off.
Now, reboot your system and try to launch the game again. Check whether this issue is resolved or not. If the issue still pursues, then try to disable the full-screen optimization feature of that game which you are trying to play. And to do that, follow the given steps.
- Right-click on the game and then click on the Properties option.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen. There you need to tap on the Compatibility tab and then check the box beside the Disable fullscreen optimization option.
- After that, hit on the Apply button in order to save all the changes and then close everything.
Now, reboot your system and try to launch the game in order to check if the problem is solved or not.
Fix 4: Check The Graphics Drivers
If all the above mention solutions are unable to help you then try to update your Graphics Drivers to the latest version or downgrade them if the issue starts appearing after a driver update. Now to perform, this task on your system follow the below-given instructions.
- Boot into the Save Mode and then open up the Run Dialog box by pressing the Windows Key + R. Then, in the Dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit the Enter key or the Ok button. This will open up the Device manager window.
- Now in that window, you need to locate the NVIDIA hardware, right click on it and then select the Uninstall device option.
- After that, reboot your system and go back to the Device manager window. Now, right-click on an empty space and select the Scan for hardware changes option.
Once you do that, the default drivers will automatically get installed on the system. Now, you just need to check whether the issue is resolved or not. If the screen tearing issue continues to appear in your games then update the GPU Drivers. To do that, follow the given steps:
Update The GPU Drivers
- Go to the Device manager window and find out the NVIDIA hardware. Then right-click on it and select the Update driver option.
- After that, a new update window will pop-up on the screen. There you need to select the Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Now the Windows update tool will start a search process and try to look for all the available updates which are compatible with your components. If the tool is found then it will automatically download and install them in your system.
However, if the update tool is unable to locate any drivers updates for your system then visit the official site of Nvidia and download all the compatible driver updates manually. Post that, open up the update window again and click on the “Browse my computer” for driver software option. Instantly a pop-up box will come up on the screen. There you need to locate that folder where you have downloaded the update files. After doing that, click on the OK button in order to continue the installation process. Once the installation gets completed, restart your system and check whether the screen tearing issue is stopped or not.
We hope that our solutions and suggestions are helpful to resolve your queries regarding how to fix screen tearing Nvidia. But if you want more information on this topic or any other technology related stuff then keep following our upcoming articles.