Experiencing printer not activated error code 20 is one of the most annoying situations. The problem mainly appears when the user is trying to save a PDF file.
The problem might appear if the PDF converter becomes unavailable to read the activation code. Faulty printer driver is the other major reasons for this error. Sometimes, the problem may appear if you set the wrong printer as the default printer.
If you are experiencing this trouble then you don’t need to worry. Through this article we are going to provide you applicable solutions, that can help you to fix the problem. So, let’s have a look at the solutions that are given below
How to Fix Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 with 5 Easy Solutions?
If you are searching how to fix printer not activated error code 20, then here is the answer. Go through the solutions that are mentioned below.
Fix 1: Grant the Permission using PowerShell
The problem can be resolved by using the PowerShell. PowerShell is a command-line that helps to script the languages that are designed for system administration.
Sometimes, the problem can appear due to confliction within the PowerShell. You can fix it using the Command Prompt. The steps which are next to you will help you to do so.
- At first, open the Start menu and click on the Search box and Powershell in the search box.
- Right-click on the Powershell option from the appearing list of results. Then, click on the Run as Administrator option.
- Type the following command in the Powershell window and hit the Enter button after entering each of the Commands:
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
Lastly, restart the computer and check if the problem is resolved or not.
Fix 2: Make Sure the Desired Printer is Set as the Default Printer
As we mentioned that the problem can appear if you set the wrong printer as the default printer. So, you should verify if the correct printer and set it as the default one. The steps mentioned here can help you to verify it.
- At first, open the Start menu and click on the Printers and Faxes option. This will help you to launch the Printers folder.
- If you are unable to find the printer icon is missing, then you should follow the next step.
- Verify if the desired printer has a checkmark to symbolize that it is set as the default printer.
- If you cannot find any checkmark, then right-click on the printer icon and click on the “Set as Default Printer” option.
- After that, again right-click on the printer icon and click on the Print Test Page option. This will help you to print a Windows self-test page.
- If you succeed to print a test page successfully, then close all the Windows and try to print something from the application that you are using before.
If you fail to print while using the Windows test page, then you should move on to the next method which is followed by.
Fix 3: Re-install the USB Composite Device from Device Manager
The problem with the USB composite device might create this error. USB composite device is a device that helps to support several composite devices.
The problem may appear due to abrupt technical glitches within the USB composite device. So, you should re-install it to get rid of the situation.
- At first, click on the Start button and write down ‘Run’ in the Search box and hit the Enter button from the keyboard.
- Write down ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run dialog box and hit the Enter button. This will help you to open the Device Manager option.
- After that, click on the Plus sign (+) that you can find near to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers option.
- Go to the USB Composite Device option and right-click on it. After that, click on the Uninstall button and click on the OK button.
- Then, detach the USB connection from the system and again reconnect it with the computer.
- Follow the instruction guided by the onscreen prompts to find the New Hardware wizard to install the drivers.
Lastly, close all the Windows and try to print something to check if the problem is resolved or not.
Fix 4: Set the Default Printer
The problem can be fixed by setting the printer as the default printer. Go through the steps that are written below to get to the details.
- At first, open the Start menu and click on the Search box. Then, write down ‘Control Panel’ and hit the Enter button.
- Click on the Control Panel option from the appearing list of results.
- Choose the ‘Hardware and Sound’ option and right-click on the printer’s name and choose ‘Set as a default printer’ option.
After that, restart the computer and save all the changes that you have made. Finally, check if the problem is resolved or not.
Fix 5: Tweak the Registry
The Windows registry helps to store the information. If none of the methods help you to resolve the problem, then you should tweak the registry. The steps which are next to you will help you to do so.
- At first, open the Run dialog box while pressing the Win key + R button both at the same time from the keyboard and hit the Enter button. Otherwise, you can press the OK button.
- Thereafter, write down ‘Regedit’ and click on the OK button. This will help you to open the registry editor.
- Backup all the database and move on to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software
- Right-click on the Software folder and choose the Permissions option.
- Check if the Administrator and users have Full Control checked in the permission window. And make a checkmark on it.
- Then, click on the Apply, then select the OK button. After that, restart the computer and click on the Save button to save all the changes.
Through this article, we have tried to provide you all the possible fixes that can help you to fix the printer not activated error code 20. If you feel any difficulties while performing the methods, then you can comment on the feedback section. If none of the methods help you, then seek expert help.