Microsoft word won’t open is a common problem for most of the Windows OS users. Users report that this problem mainly appears after updating the OS to Windows 10 version.
There are several factors that might provoke this error. The conflictions among the Word Add-ins and corrupted installation files are one of the major reasons behind this error.
If you are unable to open Microsoft Word in the Windows 10 Operating System, then the following guide will help you to resolve the error. Here, we are providing you the top-notched solutions that can eliminate the error.
You should go through the 6 methods discussed below to resolve the problem.
Microsoft Word Won’t Open in Windows 10: Easy Hacks to Fix
If Microsoft Word won’t open in Windows 10, then you should follow the steps that are given below. Try the steps in the exact order given to get rid of the error.
Fix 1: Uninstall Windows Updates
While updating the OS abrupt problem can appear due to improper Windows installation. So, you should uninstall the Windows update.
The following steps will help you to uninstall the updates from the system.
- At first click on the Windows Settings option and move to the ‘Update and Security’ option.
- Go to the Windows Update tab and select the Update History option.
- After that, a new window will appear on the screen and click on the Uninstall Updates button. This will help you to uninstall the previous updates from the system.
- Now, check if you are able to overcome the problematic situation or not.
Fix 2: Remove the Registry Keys
The Windows registry keys stores information regarding the settings, options, programs values and hardware which are installed on the Microsoft Windows operating systems. Sometimes, the program may slow down due to excessive registry keys.
The problem can be resolved by removing the Microsoft Words registry keys. Here are the procedures that can help you to execute the process.
- At first, press the Win key + R button from the keyboard to launch the Run dialog box.
- Write down “gpedit” in the appearing dialog box and hit the Enter button.
- After that, go through the following path:
1st: Word 2002: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft Office10.0WordData
2nd: Word 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft Office11.0WordData
3rd: Word 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft Office12.0WordData
4th: Word 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice14.0WordData
5th: Word 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice15.0Word
6th: Word 2016: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice16.0Word
Right-click on the Data key and click on the Delete button. Lastly, restart the system and open the MS Word to see if the problem is fixed or not. If it is not, then you should move on to the next solution.
Fix 3: Run the Safe Mode
Sometimes, the problem may appear due to the confliction with the Add-ins. Safe Mode feature can help you fix the problem at once.
In the following steps, we are going to discuss how to run the Safe Mode in the Windows Operating System.
- At first, open the Run dialog box by pressing the Win key + R button from the keyboard.
- Write down “Winword/ Safe” in the appearing dialog box. And hit the Enter button.
- If the Add-ins is the reason for this trouble, then all the applications will start to run smoothly in Safe mode.
- Move the mouse cursor to File and choose the Options button.
- Then, click on the Add-ins tab and disable all of the options.
- Lastly, close the application and check if the problem is resolved or not.
Fix 4: Repair the Installation
Using the Repair Installation feature can help you to get rid of any random error. Repair Installation is a tool that can help you to resolve various problems with the Windows Operating System.
Follow the steps given below to repair the installations:
- Press the Win key + X button from the keyboard and click on the ‘Apps and Features’ option.
- Then, go to the Microsoft Office option and select it. And click on the Modify option.
- Choose any one of the following two options ‘How would you like to repair your Office Programs’ or ‘Change your installation’.
- If you choose the ‘How would you like to repair your Office Programs’ option, then click on the Quick Repair option. After that, select the Repair button.
- If the previous method does not work out, then you can also choose the Online Repair button.
- If you get the ‘Change your installation’ option. Then, click on the Repair button and go to the Continue option.
Now, follow the instructions that are instructed by the onscreen prompts. This help to repair the files and fix the error at once.
Fix 5: Uninstall and Reinstall the Microsoft Office
You should uninstall the Microsoft Office suite from the computer and again reinstall it. The current version of Microsoft Office can help you to resolve the error.
As soon as you uninstall the program, automatically all the corrupted files get eliminated from the device.
Now, when you install the latest version, you get a suite can have the capability to fix abrupt problems.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Office?
- At first, open the Start menu and click on the Search box.
- Then, write down ‘Control Panel’ and hit the Enter button.
- Click on the ‘Programs and Features’ option.
- Thereafter, right-click on the Microsoft office product and select the Uninstall button.
How to Reinstall Microsoft Office?
After, uninstalling the Microsoft Office from the computer, reinstall the MS office. The steps to reinstall the Microsoft Office is followed by.
- If you are using the Edge or Internet Explorer browser, then open the Run dialog box by pressing the Win key + R button from the keyboard.
Note: Google Chrome users should choose the Setup option. And Firefox users select the Save File option.
- If the “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?” notification appears on the computer screen, then click on the Yes button.
- After that, wait for a few minutes to complete the installation procedure. You will get a message “You’re all set! The office is installed now”.
- Then, look for the Office application and click on the Close button.
Thus, you can install the Microsoft Office suite once again on a computer.
Fix 6: Disable the Add-ins
We have mentioned that the problem might occur due to conflictions within the Add-ins. So, you should try to disable the Add-ins.
If the procedure of disabling the Add-ins are not known to you, then you should follow the methods that are given below.
- At first, launch the Troublesome application.
- Move to the Files option and click on the Options button.
- Select the Add-ins option, now you can disable all the add-ins.
- Lastly, restart the program and verify if the problem still appears on the computer screen or not.
Try these solutions to resolve the Microsoft Word won’t open problem. You should follow the instructions carefully before executing the steps. If you do not have enough technical knowledge, then we suggest you consult with the experts.