Nowadays using headphones has become the latest trend among the young generation. People are often found using headphones with their electronic devices like music players, phones, laptops or PC to listen to music, play games, and do other stuff. Companies are continuously trying to make headphones which will give a better sound output, better surround sound experience, zero outside noises, and don’t hurt your ears as well even if you use them for a long time. Sometimes, when you try to use your new headphone on the Windows 10 device, your headphones do not support or no sound output comes from them. This problem can happen due to various reasons, but recently this problem is frequently seen after updating to the Windows 10 OS. Other than this, outdated or damaged audio drivers and a wrong configuration in your settings also cause this type of issue. That’s why today we will learn the methods which can solve the “headphones not working Windows 10” for you.
Reasons for headphones not working on laptop Windows 10
Before solving the problem, we have to know the reason for this kind of issue, so that we can properly solve them one by one. The problem can occur for various reason which includes
- Outdated Audio driver
- Broken Audio Driver
- Poor Configurated setting
- Minor error during startup of the device
- Virus or Malware related problem
- The system didn’t automatically enable the headphone as a default media player
Tricks to Solve the problem
As we mentioned above, the “headphones not working on laptop Windows 10” problem can occur due to an array of reasons. To find the actual reason for the problem you have to try all the methods one after another until your problem gets solved. These methods are easy, you don’t have to be a computer expert to fix the problem. So, without wasting any more time, let’s dig into the methods
Setting the Headphone as Default
Many times it has been noticed that when you connect your new headphone to your laptop or computer, the device won’t allow it as a default playback device which means your device is not allowing to play sound through the headphone. But, if you do some minor changes in the system, then you will be able to play music with your headphone without any problem. To do so you have to follow some simple steps:
- Press the Windows+X key to open Run administration and select the Control Panel option
- Then, select the Hardware and Sound option and go to the Sound option
- Selecting the Sound option will open a Playback tab. Right, Click in the new window and select the Show Disabled Devices option.
- Then, a list of headphones will be shown to you. Select and right-click on the headphone you want to set as default and select the Enable option.
- After Enabling it to select the headphone to the device again and change the status to Set Default. At the end, click on the Apply button will solve the problem.
Completing the above process will set the Headphone as a default device and you will be able to get the Sound output from it.
Updating the Audio Driver
One of the most common reasons for the no sound output from headphones is an outdated audio driver. An outdated audio driver is incompatible with a new headphone that’s why people must do an audio driver update before plugging in a new headphone.
To do the update you have to go through the below steps:
- At first, open the device and search Device Manager from the Start Menu. Then, select the search result.
- You will find a Sound Icon option in the list, expand it to find the Audio Driver.
- Double click on the Audio Driver and select the Update driver option.
- After clicking on the option your device will start searching the latest audio driver from the internet and install it automatically
- After installation restarts the device once. When it’s done, your device will be ready to support your latest headphone.
Changing the Setting in Realtek Media
Sometimes a wrong configuration in Realtek Audio Media can also cause the problem. If you fix the Realtek Media setting properly, then the “headphone not working Windows 10” can be also solved easily. To do the proper setting for the headphone you have to follow these steps,
- Search Control Panel and launch it from your device.
- From the Control Panel go to the All Control Panel items and change the View by to Large icons from the top right corner of the window, it will make it easy to find the Realtek HD Audio Manager option.
- After finding the Realtek HD Audio Manager launch it. When the new windows open you will find a small folder icon at the top-right corner and below the Device advanced settings, click on it.
- Clicking the icon will open a Connection Settings window, where you find Disable front panel jack detection option, enable it and at last press OK to confirm the new setting.
Doing the above step will resolve the problem if the issue is occurring due to the wrong setting.
Removing the Malware
There are lots of viruses or you can say Malware out on the internet which can create the sound output problem. If you also use the Windows 10 device to surf the internet, then it will be not strange that your device is also affected by one of them. To resolve the problem you don’t have to go through a new method. Just install a good licensed antivirus in the system and use it to remove the virus in the same way as you do for other types of viruses and malware.
After removing the virus restart the system. After restarting it will be ready to support the headphone.
Restore the System
Instead of a repair method, you can call this a precaution method which you have to do before occurring the problem. It is also the least recommended process by the expert.
Windows 10 comes with a feature called a Restore Point. If you already made a restore point before the problem occurs then use this feature to restore the whole system and solve the problem. The only thing it is different from normal restore is Restore point feature resets the device set to the time of the point created whereas the normal Restore feature reset the whole system at factory mode. To learn how to create the Restore point or how to use the point to restore you have to go through the following steps-
To create the restore point-
- Open the device and search restore point in it.
- Then, click on the Create a restore point option and launch it
Then, just go through the on-screen guide to create a restore point and you will be ready to tackle the problem related to “headphones not working on laptop Windows 10”.
When the problem occurs just open the System Properties of your device and select System Restore under the tab of System Protection. Then choose the restore point you want to use. Once the restore is done your audio problem will be also gone
Restarting the Device
Sometimes the problem can be caused by some minor issue or can be the result of a small error while starting the device. You don’t need to go through a lot of complicated steps to fix it. Just shut down your device, wait for a few minutes so that your system got completely cools down and then, Start the device again by pressing the power button. If you do this all the minor problems and errors will be fixed automatically by the system and you will be able to enjoy your new headphone.
Wrapping it up
We hope these methods are able to fix your problem related to “ headphones not working windows 10”. Please comment below with your opinions about this topic. If you have a better method, then you can share it with us so that everyone can get helped from it. Also, if you have a further question related to the topic or need complete assistance from us then you also contact our support page. Thank you for reading the article.