The Start menu in Windows 10 is one of the most important and iconic features of Microsoft’s operating systems. If you suddenly find that the Start button of your laptop or PC is not responding or locking up frequently, then the first step that you should take is to back up all your files. This will prevent you from losing all your important files and documents. This generally happens when you upgrade your Windows version. Though the exact cause behind the Windows 10 Start Menu not working is unknown, you can solve it by using the different solutions provided by experts.
Step-by-step Guide To Fix Windows 10 Start Button Not Working
As there are many Windows users who have reported the abnormal functioning and unresponsiveness of the Start button, we have compiled some feasible solutions to fix the Windows 10 Start button not working. You can try out these solutions one by one to fix this error effortlessly:
Solution 1: Log Out And Log Into Your Account
One of the easiest methods that you can try for fixing Windows 10 Windows button not working is by re-logging into your desktop. If you find that your Start menu freezes only occasionally, then you can opt this option. Here is how you will relog into your account:
• At first, press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete simultaneously on your keyboard and then click on Sign Out option
• Then, type your password in the provided space and try to log in again
• After that, check whether your Start menu works like before.
This will solve the issue but if the error still remains, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Reinstall Sound Card And Video Card Drivers
After the latest Windows update, many Windows users found that the main culprit behind the occurrence of the error is the sound card and video card, drivers. Thus, by updating their sound and video card drivers or reinstalling the correct version of the drivers, they can solve the issue. This is how you can reinstall the drivers and get your Start menu back in working condition:
• Firstly, you need to download the Display Driver Updater
• Then, uninstall the current display card driver by using this tool
• Press Windows key and X simultaneously on your keyboard and then click on the Device Manager option
• Now, you have to double-click on the ‘sound, video and the game controller.’
• After that, right-click on your audio card driver and select the ‘Uninstall device’ option
• Next, you have to tick the box “Delete the driver software for this device.”
• Then, click on the Uninstall option and install the correct version of both your sound card and video card driver
• After that, restart your computer.
You can update the drivers manually as well by visiting the manufacturer’s website and looking for the recent drivers. Apart from this, you might also update the device drivers automatically by using the latest tools.
Solution 3: By Creating A New User Account
For applying this solution, you need to perform the steps described below:
• Right-click on the taskbar
• Then, click on the “Task Manager” option and the Task Manager window will open
• From the window, you have to select the File option
• After that, choose the ‘Run new task’ option and type PowerShell
• Then, you have to tick the box “Create this task with administrative privileges.”
• Thereafter, hit the OK button and then copy and paste the required command in the PowerShell window
• Then, press Enter on the keyboard and use the username and password as per your preference.
• Finally, you have to restart your computer and then you can easily log into the new user’s account.
Solution 4: Uninstall Dropbox
There is a possibility that the Dropbox conflicts with the Start menu. If this happens, it will restrict you to use all the features of the Start panel and you will find the Windows button not working in Windows 10. Thus, a mere uninstallation of the Dropbox might solve the error. This is how you can do it:
• At first, press the Windows key and R simultaneously on your keyboard
• Then, type Control and hit the Enter button
• Go to the Category option and from there, you have to select the “Uninstall a program” option
• After that, find the Dropbox option and remove it from your PC or laptop by clicking on the Uninstall option.
Solution 5: Check And Repair Windows Files
If corrupted system files are the reason behind the Start menu error, then you can easily fix it by running two built-in system tools. You can repair it by following the steps described below:
• First, right-click on the taskbar
• Then, click on Task Manager and you will get to see the Task Manager window
• From there, choose the File option and then select the option ‘Run new task’
• In the blank field, type PowerShell and then you need to tick the box ‘Create this task with administrative privileges.
• After that, click on the OK option and type sfc/scannow in the box
• On your keyboard, press the Enter key and then wait for a while for the completion of the process.
As soon as you find that the two tests are finished, you can check to see whether your Start menu is working properly or not.
Solution 6: Uninstall All Third-party Antivirus Programs
If you have installed some anti-malware or antivirus programs in your PC such as Norton or Kaspersky, then you should disable them or turn them off temporarily, as this might solve the Windows 10 Start menu not working issue in your Windows PC or laptop. Even if you disable these software programs, Windows Defender will automatically get enabled as it is Microsoft’s default anti-malware.
Hope by trying out the above methods, you can solve the Windows 10 Start menu not working error in your Windows PC or laptop, but if don’t find any promising improvements even after trying out all the above steps, perform a refresh on your Windows PC. If the error reappears, then get in touch with a professional expert for resolving it as soon as possible.