Most popular digital distribution platform for PC gamers is Steam. But due to some reasons, users have reported that Steam stuck on preparing to launch. Mainly, users report that they cannot play any online game on Steam. Some of them are reported that there has been some missing executable error.
When we search for the root cause of the problem, we found that it occurs due to some misconfiguration of hardware and software of the system. As a result, when you launch any game, it immediately gets crashed.
Here, we have provided a general guide to help you out from this situation. Also, we discussed some effective solutions in order to fix the issue. Hence, apply them accordingly and check which one is able to solve your problem.
List of Methods to Solve Steam Stuck on Preparing to Launch
Steam stuck on preparing to launch primarily occurs when you try to launch the Steam for playing online games. However, this article has simple and straightforward solutions which can be performed by any users in order to fix the issue.
Solution 1: Move the Installed Games to a Different Location
If you are frequently encountering the issue, then you should move the games that are installed in the system. To perform the action, follow the steps that are mentioned in the below section:
- At first, start Steam and then move to the Game Library. Then, search for the smallest game that is installed in your device and right-click on that.
- After that. Move to the Local tab and then press the Browse local Files option. When the Game folder open, you should move all the installed game in order to fix the issue.
- If the game folder does not automatically, then you need to verify the integrity of the game cache.
- After that, repeat step 2 to open the game directory and move all the games to one folder, then it will run perfectly.
Solution 2: Disable the Antivirus Software
Sometimes, Steam does not launch due to the antivirus. Hence, to launch it, you need to add the entire Steam directory of exclusions in your antivirus.
In some cases, disabling the antivirus can help you to solve the problem. On the other hand, uninstalling the software is another solution in order to fix the issue.
Solution 3: Delete or Move GameOverlayRenderer64.dll File
Some users report that certain files can be responsible for the issue and it prevents Steam to launch the game. One such problematic file is GameOverlayRenderer64.dll. To fix the problem, you need to remove the file.
In some cases, just by moving the files into different locations, you fix the issue.
Solution 4: Update the Graphics Driver
Another effective solution is to update the Graphics Driver. Sometimes, an outdated Graphics Driver can be responsible for this issue. When it comes to updating the driver, you can do it by visiting the manufacturer’s website.
Otherwise, from the Device Manager option, you can also do it. Here, are the steps on how to update the Graphics Driver from Device Manager:
- At first, click the Start button and type ‘device manager’ in the search bar and hit the Enter button.
- In the Device Manager option, you will find all the installed application. Search for the Graphics Driver and right-click on it.
- Then, select the Update Driver option. It will automatically download the updated version of the Graphics Driver. Make sure that you have a stable network connection.
After that, install the fresh version of Graphics Driver and restart the system. Finally, check Steam game stuck on preparing to launch issue gets solved or not.
Solution 5: Install the Necessary Visual C++ Components
In some cases, the steam stuck on preparing to launch might occur due to the missing Visual C++ components. In order to run any games, you will require Visual C++ Redistributables. Therefore, to get rid of this situation, you need to install the missing components.
You can do it by going to the game’s installation directory. After that, search for the \_CommonRedist\vcredist\ folder and select the folder. When you enter the vcredist directory, you will find two sets up files. Try to run both the files and install the necessary components.
Solution 6: Verify the Integrity of Game Files
By verifying the integrity of the game files, solve the problem when Steam games are unable to launch. Some corrupted files will lead you in this situation. Hence, you can verify the integrity of the game’s files by applying some basic steps.
- At first, open the Game Library and then locate the problematic game. After that, right-click on that game and select the Properties option from the menu.
- Thereafter, move to the Local files and then click verify the integrity of games files. Now, the verification process will proceed and it will take a few minutes to complete the process. When the verification process gets completed, check whether you are able to run the game.
Solution 7: Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
If the above-mentioned processes are not able to fix the problem related to Steam games files, then run them simply in the compatibility mode and check the issue. To perform the action, walk through the following steps and apply them:
- Firstly, search for the game’s.exe file and then right-click on it. A drop-down menu will on the system’s screen. Select properties option from the menu.
- After that, move to the Compatibility option and then check Run this program in compatibility mode. After that, select the version of Windows you are using.
- Lastly, click Apply to save the changes and press OK to confirm the action.
After completing the process, try to start the game and check whether you are able to start it or not.
Solution 8: Scan your Device and Check the Problematic Application
If you have installed any third-party application in your device, then this application prevents the Steam game to run. To find out the problematic application, you need to scan your device.
Scanning your device will help you to find the main culprit for this error. Hence, open the antivirus and then click Start System Scan option to perform the action. After finding the application, uninstall the application and after that, try to run the game.
On the whole, the above-mentioned solutions will help you to resolve the problem Steam stuck on preparing to launch. Some methods need some technical knowledge. Hence, while applying you need to be very careful. Furthermore, if you face any problem while doing the steps, you can post your queries in the comments section. Nevertheless, for more tech-related articles, you can follow our website.