Skype is one of the most popular applications used for video, voice and text communication. Error with the playback devices in Skype is a common problem for Skype users. It happens when you are trying to make a call from Skype. Sometimes, the call will automatically drop after the first ring. This can occur both if you are calling or while someone else is calling you. The main issue is that Skype cannot find your audio device like a speaker, headset. Now, take a look at the situations that you may face if Skype playback device error Windows 10 nags you.
How Would you Detect the Skype Playback Device Error
When people use Skype in most of the time, they can face a bunch of issues that show ‘Problem with playback device’ message. Even when you want to connect a call from Skype, the issue comes. Most of the times, the call stops automatically after ringing once. It can also happen when you are dialing someone as well as someone is calling you. People can see the error due to dropping the call. You can notice this error and are not able to make a call after ending a successful call. That means that the issue will pop up in every second call. But, there are different other call variations of the issue. The end destination is that you can’t make any call and you will notice the error that comes simultaneously during the call period.
Generally, the error means that the Skype application cannot find out and use the audio device such as a headset and speaker. Keep in mind that your audio device is connected properly and it is working condition. The thing is that the issue appears due to the audio drivers if the device is working properly. Lastly, Skype is the main reason for the problem. Also, there is a problem inside the Skype configuration files which restricts Skype application to connect with the audio device.
Why does Problems with Playback Device in Skype bothers you on Windows 10?
With your playback device, the major causes why the call is not connecting and a bunch of issues, are here that we can explain into the following parts:
- The audio device driver is not updated or somehow conflicting with your Windows 10 updates.
- With the playback device, something is happening wrong in your system. Thus, you have encountered a problem with skype playback device.
- Additionally, the Skype application has some problems.
You might also spot that the Skype application can’t get access to the sound card. Therefore, you are supposed to look at these fixes and solutions one by one and also you can try to apply them to resolve skype playback device error.
Efficient Steps to Resolve Skype Playback Device Error Windows 10
Skype with the Playback device is troublesome. But, luckily there are several solutions available for you. There are several methods to fix this particular issue. You need to follow these methods in a proper way:
Method 1: Run Audio Troubleshooter
This is the basic fundamental that can fix this issue for Skype users. You can see ‘Audio troubleshooter’ in the control panel. This is applicable in all of the versions of windows. To run the audio troubleshooter, a few steps are given below:
- Tap ‘windows + R’ and enter ‘control.exe/name Microsoft. Troubleshooting or type ‘Troubleshoot’ in the taskbar search box.
- Then, you click on ‘Hardware and sound’ and also click ‘playing audio’.
- Click ‘Advanced’ and get a box. Press ‘Next’ on it.
Following these steps, wait for the troubleshooter for fix this issue and check it.
Method 2: Check and Update Audio Drivers
First of all, you should check that you install correct drivers for your system. Drivers are sometimes updated. So, updating this driver is necessary for fixing this issue. Thus, here are a few steps to check out an update:
- First, press ‘Windows + R’ and open ‘devmgmt.msc’ file.
- After that, double click on ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ option. Clicking ‘audio device’, you select ‘Update driver software’.
Now, you fix this issue if not, you should follow the next method.
Method 3: Restart Skype
Sometimes restarting Skype is the solution for fixing Skype problem with the playback device. To do this, first of all, you have to go to a Skype icon on the taskbar. Then, click on it and enter on the ‘Quit’ option. Now, you again open Skype and check if this problem is resolved.
Method 4: Uninstall And Reinstall Audio Drivers
If a driver is the main issue, then uninstalling and reinstalling is the solution for this. To uninstall and reinstall audio drivers, try to follow these steps:
- First of all, press ‘Windows + R’ and open ‘devmgmt.msc’ file.
- Double click on ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ option. Then select ‘Uninstall’ by clicking ‘audio device’.
- Follow any additional on-screen notification.
- Repeat these steps 4-5 time for uninstalling all audio drivers. Then, ‘Reboot’ your device.
After rebooting, check whether your problem is resolved or not. If not, you follow other methods.
Method 5: Reinstall Skype
Somehow, reinstalling Skype is the way to resolve this issue quickly. To do that, go to the Skype icon and uninstall this. Next, you reinstall Skype. Sometimes it solves this matter completely.
Method 6: Delete Audio Device
Deleting audio device can fix your problem. To remove the audio device, you should follow a few steps:
- First, tap ‘Window Key + X’ and open ‘device manager by clicking it.
- You allocate an audio device and select ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Lastly, restart your PC and Windows 10 is installed on your computer.
Though, your problem is not resolved you check next.
Method 7: Turn off Any Audio Program Running In The background
You connect to calling someone. If any audio program is continuing in the background, it is interrupting your call. That’s why first you should remove your background application, then open Skype. After that, you have faced the same problems you go to the next steps below.
Method 8: Disable And Enable Your Speakers
Disabling and enabling your speakers is another way to solve the Skype problem with the playback device. You should try this method for fixing. Follow these ways:
- Right-click the‘ Speaker’ icon and select ‘Playback device’.
- Click on free space and check that two options that are ‘Show disabled device’ and ‘Show disconnected devices’ appear on the playback device window.
- Then again right-click the device and select the ‘Enable’ option.
- Choose ‘Apply’ and ‘Ok’ for saving and check if your problem is fixed or not. If not, then just head over the next process.
Method 9: Reset Skype
If you do not overcome this situation then you should try to reset your Skype configuration. To reset the Skype application, head over the following steps:
- Before starting the method, turn off Skype.
- After that, tap and hold the Windows key and “R” at the same time. Then type %appdata% in the run box.
- Now, hit the Enter key or click ‘OK’.
- Next, allocate ‘Skype’ section and change its name into Skype.old. Remembering one thing that, you can rename the Skype folder and eliminate your message history from Skype at the same time. But this will store in Skype.old section.
- Lastly, open Skype and check the issue once if solved or not. If you can overcome the issue, then go to the next process.
Method 10: Try To Install UWP Version
Skype for Universal Windows Platform is a version of Skype. You download this from the Microsoft apps store. If you can not call with a desktop version of Skype, then you should download this. You just try once to get rid of your problem.
Method 11: Uncheck Adjust Speaker Setting Automatically
Few users have fixed Skype problems by disabling adjust speaker settings portion automatically. To do that, head over the following steps:
- First of all, navigate tools, options and audio settings in Skype.
- Then, go to the speaker folder and unmark the ‘Automatically adjust speaker settings’ option.
- After that, tap on ‘Save’ option to make changes.
Method 12: Make Sure the Proper Playback Device is Set in Skype
Most of the users have various audio devices which are available in the market. But choosing the best audio device is hard to find. If users have selected the bad audio device, you have faced with this problem. To resolve this issue, you take manually the proper playback device in Skype and try to follow the following steps:
- First of all, start Skype and select Tools > Options.
- After that, navigate to the ‘Audio settings’ option and extend the Speakers section.
- Next, choose the correct audio device and tap on the ‘Save’ option to make changes.
- Check if the issue is solved. You should have to take different audio devices before selecting the proper one that perfectly works for you.
We think that you recover this issue by applying given methods. You are made to take Skype calls. In the future, We will give you more update.