Sometimes, Skype users may face the problem with the microphone not working issue. This is one of the common internal issues that might face the users. There are several issues that might provoke this error.
The problem may appear due to some misconfiguration in the application. Sometimes, the problem may occur because of outdated Skype applications.
If you are experiencing such difficulties, then you should go through our guidance. Here, we are going to discuss some of the effective solutions that can help you to fix your problem.
How to fix Skype microphone not working Windows 10?
If you are Windows 10 user, then you can fix the microphone not working on Skype by following the steps that are written below.
Solution 1: Verify if the Microphone is Enabled or not
Sometimes, the Skype microphone not working on Windows 10 may occur if you disable the Microphone. So, you should check if you have enabled the Microphone or not. Follow the steps to enable it.
- At first, open the Windows Settings option by pressing the Win key + I button both at the same time from the keyboard. Then, click on the Privacy tab.
- Click on the Microphone option. Toggle the “Let apps use my microphone” button to turn it On.
- Go to the Skype option and turn On the toggle button to access the microphone.
- Reboot the computer, and check if the issue is fixed or not.
Solution 2: Verify if the Proper Microphone is Selected
You should check if you have chosen the proper Microphone or not. Follow the mentioned below procedure to verify it.
- At first, log in with your Skype account.
- Click on the Options button (indicated as the three dots).
- Choose the Settings option. And look for the Microphone entry from the Settings page.
- Then, click on the drop-down arrow that appears on the screen. And verify if you have selected the correct input device.
- If you find that you have selected the correct Microphone device, but still the problem is occurring, then you should reselect the correct device.
- Now, restart the system.
Solution 3: Reinstall the Skype Application
You can resolve the problem by reinstalling the Skype application.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Win key + R button from the keyboard.
- Then, write down “appwiz.cpl” in the appearing Run dialog box and hit the Enter key.
- Look for the Skype application from the appearing list of results and choose the Uninstall button.
- Reboot the computer and re-install the Skype application.
- Then, click on the Accept button for microphone permission.
How to Reinstall Skype Application?
If you want to know the procedure for reinstalling the Skype application, then the following steps will help you to do so.
- Click on the Skype icon from the taskbar and right-click on it. Then, click on the Quit button.
- Otherwise, you can press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete button from the keyboard and choose the Skype option and click on the End Task button.
- Open the Run dialog by pressing the Win key + R button from the keyboard. And write down “appwiz.cpl” in the appearing dialog box. Then, select the OK button.
- After that, look for the Skype application from the appearing list of results. Right-click on the application and choose the Remove or Uninstall button.
- Look for the Skype application from the installed programs. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the latest version of Skype.
Solution 4: Use Microsoft’s Default Audio Driver
You can utilize the “Use Microsoft’s default audio driver” to resolve the problem with Skype microphone not working on Windows 10. Go through the steps to get the detailed steps.
- At first, open the Power User Menu by pressing the Win key + X button on the keyboard.
- Then, click on the Device Manager option from the appearing list of results.
- Look for the audio device and right-click on it. Then, click on the Uninstall Device option.
- Thereafter, verify the “Delete the driver software for this device” option and click on the Uninstall button.
- Now, restart the Windows Operating System.
Solution 5: Change the Microphone Settings
The problem with the Skype application can be resolved by changing the Microphone settings.
- Go to the Toolbar and right-click on the Audio icon.
- Then, select the Recording Device from the appearing pop-up menu on the computer screen.
- Search for the Microphone option and double-click on it to open the Properties option.
- Click on the Advanced tab, and check if the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” is enabled or not.
- If you find that the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” is enabled, then you should disable it.
- Now, click on the Apply and OK button to confirm your task.
How to Resolve the Skype Microphone not Working on Mac?
If you use a Mac device, then follow the steps to fix the Skype microphone not working Mac issue.
Solution 1: Change the Skype Settings
The problem can be resolved by changing Skype settings on the Mac device. Go through the steps that are followed.
- At first, click on the Skype icon from your Mac device and log in with your Skype account.
- Go to Mac’s menu bar and click on the Skype tab.
- Then, click on the “Audio and Video Settings” option.
- Click on the Microphone option and set it as the default microphone.
- Close the Settings windows and check if the problem with the Skype microphone is resolved or not.
Solution 2: Quit the Skype Application
You can resolve the problem by stopping the Skype application.
- You can quit the Skype application by right-clicking on the Skype icon. Then, click on the Quick Skype application.
- Launch the Application folder and drag the copy of Skype to the trash.
- Open the Finder and look for the Skype application.
- Then, go to the Trash icon and secondary click on it.
- Click on the Empty Trash button and restart the device.
You should try all the possible solutions that we have mentioned in our article to fix Skype microphone not working issue. If you have any more queries regarding this trouble, then you can comment on our feedback section. Further, you should contact the experts for additional support.