The VoIP application, Discord, is mainly used in games by gamers and non-gamers. Discord allows people to do voice chats. But sometimes, you might find that you can’t hear anyone on Discord. On the other hand, some users hear the voice properly. The problem mainly occurs due to an outdated audio driver or improper audio settings. Moreover, if the audio device is not selected as the default device, you might face this situation. In addition, sometimes, when there is a bug in the Discord app or if you are using an outdated version of Discord, you may face this Discord can’t hear anyone issue.
If you are also going through this situation, then you have landed on the right page. Here, we have provided appropriate solutions for the issue. Go through the article thoroughly and apply the fixes to get rid of the situation quickly.
Can’t Hear Anyone on Discord: Step by Step Solutions
If you face the Discord can’t hear anyone issue, then you need to fix it as early as possible. Hence, learn these quick methods in order to fix the issue instantly. Just follow the fixes and apply them one by one until the problem gets resolved.
Method 1: Turn on Use Legacy Audio Subsystem
When the hardware is not compatible with Discord’s updated audio subsystem, the problem may arise. Hence, to resolve the issue, you need to go back to the legacy audio system. Many Discord users reported that they have sorted out the problem with the help of this method.
- At first, launch the Discord application on the system. After that, click on the User Settings option which is available on the right side of the system screen.
- A drop-down menu appears on the system screen. Select the Audio and Video option from the list. Now, scroll down to select the Use Legacy Audio Subsystem option.
- Using the toggle switch, you need to turn on the Use Legacy Audio Subsystem. Then, you will find a new dialog box there. Click OK to confirm the action.
- Finally, exit from the application by pressing the Esc button. Hope this will help you to sort out the problem.
Method 2: Set the Audio Device as the Default Communication Device
If you are having the problem ‘why can’t I hear anyone on Discord’ then you need to set the audio device as the default communication device. You will set this from the Windows device because it’s present in the Windows and not in Discord. To set the audio device as your default communication device, you need to follow the steps that are mentioned in the section below.
- At first, click on the Sound icon which is available from the right bottom corner of the Windows device.
- After that, click the Playback Devices option. This will open the Sound option when you select the Playback tab.
- Now, search for the audio device, right-click on it and then click on Set as Default Device. Then, repeat the process once again and select the Set as Default Communication Device option. When you are done with the steps, you will find a green tick beside the audio device.
- Lastly, click Apply and then select OK to confirm the action. Now, check whether you are able to hear the sound. Otherwise, move to the next fix.
Method 3: Use Appropriate Input and Output Sound Driver
When you select an incorrect audio device, you might get this error. In order to resolve the issue, you need to select the right one or the default one.
To select the appropriate audio device, you need to follow the steps that are described in the following section.
At first, open the Discord application and then select the User Settings option.
After that, click the Audio and Video option. Here you will find Output and Input on the top of the right panel.
A drop-down menu will appear under this section. You have to select the correct audio device. After that press Esc button to save the changes. Also, check whether the problem gets resolved.
Method 4: Refresh Discord
If the above solutions do not help you resolve the issue, then it might be because of the software update or a bug in the software. Discord frequently releases updates. Hence, you need to check on a daily basis whether Discord is updated or not. When you update the Discord application, the bug will automatically be removed from the application. Therefore, to solve the issue you need to update the Discord application. After getting the updated version of Discord, close the application and check the status of the error.
Method 5: Exit from the Discord and Launch it as Administrator
To get rid of the can’t hear anyone on Discord, you need to quit the Discord application and open it again. It will surely help you to resolve the issue. To do so, walk through the following steps.
- At first, launch the Discord application and right-click on it. A drop-down list will appear, select the Quit Discord option.
- After that, right-click on the Discord Shortcut icon and click on the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, the User Account Control option will be prompted. Click Yes to select the option.
Now, try to send an audio message on Discord to check if it is working properly or not.
Method 6: Use the Web Version of Discord
After performing all the fixes, if it doesn’t resolve the issue, you need to open the web version of Discord. If you find that the problem is caused by a bug, then, after opening it in a web browser, you will not find any issue with Discord. To open the Discord application on the web browser, type Discordapp.com in the address bar and hit the Enter button.
Hopefully, the fixes mentioned above will help you troubleshoot Discord can’t hear anyone issue. All you need to do is read the article carefully and apply the fixes accordingly. You will find many third-party tools to fix the issue. But we recommend you do not use them. Furthermore, if you face any difficulties while performing the fixes, you can post your queries in the comment section below.