504 gateway time-out is an error that comes up when a server fails to respond within a certain time limit while loading a webpage. This error generally occurs due to an internet connection error.
If you are facing this error and searching for solutions, you can use this post as a reference. It contains some effective workarounds which will help you resolve this error on your own.
Fixes for 504 Gateway Time-Out Error
It’s so much annoying to encounter a 504 Gateway Time-out Error while trying to get into a website. Are you stuck with this typical error message? Don’t worry.
Mentioned below are some useful workarounds, which you can use to eliminate this error and make the website visible again. So, simply follow the guidelines below and fix the issue.
Method 1: Refresh the Page
When you encounter this error on your device, the first thing which you can do is, refresh the page. To perform this action, press the F5 button. You can also click on the Refresh option to refresh the page.
After that, if you notice that the same error shows move to the next method.
Method 2: Change Default Timeout Settings
Browsers generally have a time limit for the server of the site to respond back. If the time exceeds, you can encounter this error. If you know that your favorite site’s server will respond a bit late, you can change the default timeout settings and wait until your favorite website responds to you back. Hence, follow these steps:
- At first, go to the start bar and navigate to the search bar.
- In the search bar, search for regedit and hit Enter.
- In this way, you will be able to navigate to the Registry Editor.
- Use this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings
- After that, in the subkey, add a DWORD and name it as ReceiveTimeout.
- Now, set it’s value to <number of seconds>*100.
- Restart the computer after applying changes.
Method 3: Restart Network Device
This error also occurs due to some short-term problems related to some networking hardware like modems, routers, switches, etc.
In case, you encounter this error, you can restart these devices to resolve this error.
Method 4: Change DNS Server Settings
These steps will be helpful for you if you are using Windows 7. Change the DNS server settings and resolve this issue.
- Firstly, navigate to the Control Panel and click on the Network and Internet option.
- After that, navigate to the Network and Sharing Center by clicking on it.
- Next, click on the change adapter settings after entering the Network and Sharing Center.
- After that, choose the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS.
- In order to change the settings for an internet connection, right-click on Local Area Connection and navigate to Properties.
- If you want to change the wireless connection settings, right-click on the Wireless Network Connection and navigate to the Properties.
- If you are prompted to provide an administrator password for confirmation, type the password or provide the confirmation.
- After that, choose the Networking tab. Now, under This connection uses the following items options, you need to select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) or Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Next, click on Properties.
- After that, click on Advanced and choose the DNS tab. In case you notice any DNS server IP address listed there, write them down for further reference as well as eliminate them from the current Window.
- Now, click on the OK button. Choose to Use the following DNS server addresses. In case, you notice any IP address is listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, note down them for further reference.
- Again, replace those addresses with the IP address of the Google DNS servers.
For IPv4: 22.214.171.124 and/or 126.96.36.199.
For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
After performing all these steps, try to restart the connection which you have selected and check whether the setup is working properly.
Wrapping it up
So, these are some useful and easy methods that you can utilize to eliminate the 504 gateway time-out error from your device. Follow the mentioned steps one by one and fix the situation immediately.
If you require any further guidance, you can always contact an expert who can guide you better.
If you are aware of any other steps to overcome this error, you can leave it in the comment section to help others.