Windows Update service plays an effective role in keeping your device up-to-date. Moreover, timely upgrading the Windows can easily protect your device from all the possible technical flaws. Besides its excellent services, some of the technical glitches make the service more complicated to execute. Thus, you can encounter the Windows Update error and when you experience this error, the active programs stop to respond. Moreover, the running program starts to crash automatically after showing the unexpected error message, Windows Update Error 80072ee2“. Then, the PC starts to freeze on a frequent basis. However, we are going to talk about the effective steps in this article to overcome it permanently.
Significant Causes Behind Windows Update Error 80072ee2:
Some of the common but critical issues are responsible for Windows Update error effectively. Here, we are going to discuss them with their effects on this software.
- Strong firewall protection or major malware attack is responsible for this issue.
- The system file corruption also causes this annoying issue very often.
- Missing System files or incorrect installation creates a barrier that causes the Windows Update problem very often.
- Incorrect date and time or inappropriate date or time region is another reason.
- If the distribution folder associated with the Windows Update Service is not properly registered to your device, then this error might occur.
Resolve Error 80072ee2 With Simple and Easy-to-Perform Ways:
There are lots of ways to fix the Windows Update error 80072ee2 effectively. Moreover, it enhances device performance. Here, we are going to discuss the necessary steps to overcome this annoying issue without any technical problems.
Way 1: Check the Date and Time Settings
First, verify whether the Date and Time are correctly set or not. If it shows an incorrect date and time zone, immediately change it with appropriate data.
- Click on the clock displayed from the bottom-right corner of the desktop.
- Tap on Modify Date and Time Settings from the pop-up menu.
- Now, set the date and time accordingly to their specific field. Choose the proper time zone as per your region from the same window.
- Next, select the appropriate language as per your necessary and click on the OK button.
- Hit the Close button and restart the system.
- Finally, try to launch the Windows Update Service to verify whether the Windows Update error code 80072ee2 still persists or not.
Way 2: Modify Windows Registry
By modifying the Registry Editor and customizing the files associated with Windows Update service, you can surely fix the Windows Update error.
- First, type “regedit” in the search box and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to launch the Registry Editor window.
- Now, click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from the left pane of the window. Choose the SOFTWARE folder from that section and click on Policies by expanding Software folder.
- After that, click on the Microsoft folder and choose Windows by expanding it.
- Then, go to the AU folder from Windows Update folder
- Now, right-click on the AU key and choose Delete from the pop-up menu appeared on the screen.
- Confirm the process by hitting the YES button and complete the Windows registry editing process. Finally, try to run the Windows Update Service to check whether the same issue still persists or not.
Way 3 :Reset Windows Update Module
You can resolve the Windows Update error related issues by resetting the Windows Update module. Running the effective commands via Command Prompt is the easiest way to fix it.
First, type “cmd” in the search box and locate the Command Prompt option in the appeared menu.
Now, right-click on the Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.
Verify the administrator account by entering the correct Username and Password. Click on Verify option to get accessing permission.
After opening the Command Prompt window in Admin Mode, run the following commands one after another. Press the Enter key from the keyboard each and every time at the end of the command individually.
net stop wuauserv,cd %systemroot%,ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old,net start wuauserv,net stop bits,net start bits,net stop cryptsvc,cd %systemroot%\system32,ren catroot2 catroot2.old,net start cryptsvc,regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s,regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s,regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s,regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
After running all the above command, the system will display the message, “Windows Update Module is Reset Successfully”.
Finally, reboot the device and run the Windows Update Service to resolve the problem quickly.
Way 4: Run System File Checker
Windows Update problem got fixed by running the System file checker program. By using the system file scan command, you can overcome this problem quickly.
- Press Windows key and R together from the keyboard and launch the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “cmd” in the dialog box and locate the Command Prompt window.
- Right-click on that program and choose Run as Administrator from the pop-up menu.
- Enter the correct credentials and hit the Verify button for allowing permission to access it.
- After opening the Command Prompt(Admin), type “sfc/scannow” in the Prompt window.
- Run the command by pressing the Enter key and it will start to run automatically.
- After identifying the system bugs, it will start to debug the technical flaws. The system will restart automatically once done.
Way 5: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is often used to fix the Windows Update Service very quickly. It identifies the corrupted files of the troubleshooter and fixes them accordingly.
- Type “control” in the Cortana search box and press the Enter key to launch the Control Panel window.
- Click on the View By drop-down from the top-right corner of the Update Service window and select Small icons from it.
- Next, choose Troubleshooting from the list of icons appeared on that Control Panel window.
- Here, you will get the System and Security window. Click on Fix Problems with the Windows Update option and click the Next button to allow the troubleshooter to run.
- Now, the troubleshooter will start to detect problems and hit the Finish button when done.
- Finally, reboot the PC and check whether the 80072ee2 still persists at the time of running the Windows Update service.
Way 6: Remove Software Distribution Folder
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard and type “services.msc” in the search box. Now, hit the Enter key to launch the Services window.
- Next, right-click on the Windows Update Service from the list of activated services. Select Stop from the pop-up menu appeared from the screen.
- Next, open This PC folder by double-tapping on its icon and locate the Local Disk (C:\).
- Locate the Software Distribution folder from the C drive and right-click on it.
- Click on the Delete from the drop-down list and remove that folder from the device.
- After that, open the Windows Services page again and right-click on the Windows Update Service. Choose the Start option and enable it again.
- Once done, reboot the PC and run the Windows Update Service to verify whether the Windows Update Error 80072ee2 still persists or not.
In the above article, we have discussed effective ways to resolve the Windows Update error 80072ee2 quickly. Moreover, we have tried to explain the possible symptoms behind this annoying issue. Besides this, we have defined the significant causes behind this Windows Update problem that help you to identify the error from the fundamental stage. So, we hope this content will be useful to avoid this Windows Update error efficiently.