Installing Windows updates is an essential part, it can help you to keep your system running smoothly and securely. Nevertheless, while trying to install the latest update, all of a sudden, you might be stuck with an error code. Windows update error 80070103 is one such error code that you might encounter. This error is very widespread and has been there for some time now. If you also come across the same error, it can be really frustrating not getting any specific details on what the error means or on how to fix it. In that case, keep your sight stable till the end. This article will help you to fix the issue in no time.
Predictable Reasons For Windows Update Error 80070103
There can be multiple factors responsible when you face Windows 7 update error 80070103. Here, we have enlisted such predictable reasons. Hence, keep reading.
When you try to install the latest update, it might be possible that the driver is already installed on your device.
Sometimes, there can be some compatibility issue. When you try to install the latest update, it may not be fully compatible with the existing one. At such time, you might encounter error code 80070103.
Apart from these, an outdated or old device driver can also play a vital role. As a result, error code 80070103 can appear.
Furthermore, Windows update encountered an unknown error 80070103 can occur due to either a proxy or internal conflict issue.
These are the most common reasons that can cause Windows 7 update error 80070103. After identifying the proper causes, let’s move on to the troubleshooting section.
Troubleshoot: Windows Update Error 80070103
There are multiple actions you can try to fix the Windows update error 80070103. Note that you should have administrative rights to undertake most of the measures.
Method 1: Identity Which Drivers Are Causing Error Code 80070103
To identify which drivers are the main culprit for the error code, you need to test the update history of Windows Update and identify the issue. On the first line of the update history, if you don’t find the device driver, then you need to scroll down a bit.
- Primarily, you need to press the Windows logo key + S function keys simultaneously and then enter “Windows Update” in the search box.
- After that, it will open the application. Once the application opens, look for the “View Installed update history.”
- Once you locate it, just click on it and a list of successful and failed updates will come up.
- Then, check which device drivers are cause this issue.
- Once you identify the main culprit, let’s head over to the other solutions.
Method 2: Install The Device Driver Manually
In most cases, while trying to install the Nvidia drivers, users might be stuck with the Windows update error 80070103. Thus, we highly recommend installing the latest and compatible graphics card on your system using the official manufacturer’s website. Here, you need to uninstall the currently installed driver and then reinstall the latest and compatible device drivers. To do so, simply follow the below instructions:
UNINSTALL THE EXISTING DEVICE DRIVES
- At first, go to the Start icon and open the Control Panel.
- After that, select the Hardware And Sound option.
- Then, search for the Device Manager and once you locate it, simply click on it.
- Now, you need to expand the category that represents the type of device you need to uninstall, once you find it, just right-tap on the device entry and tap on Uninstall button.
- After this process, you will be prompt to confirm, simply click on the Ok button to start the uninstallation process.
REINSTALL THE LATEST AND COMPATIBLE DEVICE DRIVER
After uninstalling you need to install the latest and most compatible device drivers to fix the update error 80070103. So, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- To begin, you have to click on the Start button and open the Windows Device Manager.
- Then, select the top result. then, you need to expand the category with the Hardware you wish to update.
- After that, right-tap on the device and click on the Update driver option. Next, you need to select the Browse my computer for Driver Software option.
- Once you are done, just click on Browse option. Now, browse and tap on the main folder with the content you have removed earlier.
- After this process, tap on the Ok button and verify the Include Subfolders. This process will allow the Wizard to locate the right .inf file with the on-screen instructions to install the latest and compatible drivers.
- Now, click on the Next button to finish the process.
- After these steps, the latest and compatible device driver will automatically installed on your system to address the issue.
Method 3: Hide The Update
Whenever you come across any error code, while upgrading your Operating System, you can try this method. It will help you to Windows update from performing such issues. To do this process, you need to select Check For Updates option first. After that, look for the Optional Updates Are Available link, once you locate it, just click on it. Then, right-tap on the update you wish to hide. But before that, select the Hide Update button. Now, click on remaining updates and hit the Ok button to finish the process. After this process, simply click on Restart to reload your PC.
Method 4: Configure Proxy Server Settings
If you face the Windows 7 update error 80070103 because of the wrong configuration of the proxy server, then you need to proceed with this method. It will help you to check proxy server settings in order to make corrections if necessary. Now, let’s move on to the steps:
- Primarily, press the Windows logo key + R function keys simultaneously and enter “cmd” in the search box.
- Now, press the Enter button to open the Command Prompt.
- Then, in the Command Prompt, enter the command “netsh winhttp show proxy.”
After this process, you will see your proxy server settings. Now, check your machine’s system integrity that you have got a message indicating “Direct Access (no proxy server).” In that case, you need to follow the below steps:
- Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously before entering the command “cmd” in the run box.
- After that, enter the command “sfc/scannow” in the Command Prompt and hit the Enter button.
This process will give your system room to check and fix any problems with your Operating System.
Method 5: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
In order to rename the Software Distribution, you need to press the Windows logo key + X function keys simultaneously and click on the Command Prompt (Admin). Then, apply each and every command, after each one press the Enter button.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
After this process, apply the following commands to rename the Software Distribution folder.
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
After that, hit the Enter button and again apply the given commands:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
Now, hit the Enter button and reboot your system to save the changes.
Method 6: Run System File Checker
- Primarily, boot your system in safe mode with full administrative rights.
- Then, press the Windows logo key + R keys simultaneously and enter “cmd” in the run box.
- After that, hit the Enter button and tap on Ok.
- Now, enter the command “sfc /scannow “in the command prompt and press the Enter button.
- Next, wait for a while to finish the scanning process.
Apart from these solutions, here we have mentioned some other quick tips which can help you avoid this kind of errors in the future.
- Always keep your device up-to-date.
- Install the latest and compatible device drivers.
- Regularly conduct a full malware scan.
- Install all the available updates.
Hopefully, this article will help you to resolve the Windows update error 80070103. If you like articles like this, do leave comments below.