It is undeniable that Windows 10 is one of the most usable Operating Systems developed by Microsoft. It comes with a combination of lightweight apps with strong security features to fulfill your requirements. The regular updates confirm that the system is up-to-date in software as well as hardware configurations while running it at topmost security. However, like other OSs Windows 10 is not free from random flaws. Error 0x8024200d is a common error faced by several Windows 10 users.
Sometimes, this error code is identified as the ‘WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD’ error, that means the installer requires to download exceeding data. Most of the time, this error appears while running the installation process. After finishing the downloading of update files, the users might encounter this error. If you are also facing the same error, then nothing to get worried about this. Here in this article, we are going to present some amazing tips and tricks to fix the error code 0x8024200d. Hence, you are advised to go through the article given below.
What Causes the Error 0x8024200d?
The root cause of the error is that you might have some missing or corrupted files on your system. It is also possible that while downloading files from the internet, you might get corrupt files. The incomplete downloaded updates file can also be the reason behind this issue. If you stop downloading the update file halfway or if the file did not get downloaded completely because of a bad direction sent back to the server, then it indicates that the update file is already downloaded successfully. If the update file cannot be encoded and decoded in a proper way, then it is bound to be damaged or even rejected by the computer. Thus, it will be missing from the update files. This means that you cannot proceed with the installation until the missing or corrupt files have been changed.
Now, you are aware of the probable causes behind the Windows update error 0x8024200d. Thus, it has become easier to fix an issue if you know the root cause of it. Further, you need some hacks to fix the error shortly.
Easy Hacks to Fix the Windows Update Error 0x8024200d:
There are a lot of ways to fix the error code 0x8024200d. You need to have a look at the solutions given below:
Solution 1: Run SFC or System File Checker
If there are any corrupted or damaged system files on your system, then you might face the error code 0x8024200d. SFC is an in-built tool of Windows Operating System that helps the users to scan the system for any corrupted system files. It also has the ability to repair those damage system files. Hence, before performing any complicated method, you should try this method. To run the System File Checker on your computer, you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, you have to move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the Start logo.
- Then, type ‘cmd’ in the search field.
- As a result, you will see the ‘Command Prompt’ option. Right-click on it.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option to run the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Now, type the command ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32’ in the Command Prompt window. Hit the Enter button to run the command.
- Again, you have to type ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter to run the command.
- Now, System File Checker will start to scan the system for any corrupted system files.
- Wait for a few seconds until the process completes.
- Exit from the Command Prompt window and restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you need to try to update the Operating System to check whether the error is resolved or not. If you see that the error persists, then move on to the solutions provided below.
Solution 2: Delete the Latest System Update and Again Download it
If any file is missing on the downloaded update files, then you might also face the Windows update error 0x8024200d. Hence, you need to download the update again. Then, you will get all the necessary files as well as you can also replace the damaged files. But before going to perform that, first, you need to boot the system in safe mode to delete the last corrupt download. To perform this, you need to follow the steps below:
- At first, go to the Start menu. Tap on the Restart button by holding the Shift key. It will open the Troubleshooter after restarting the system.
- Tap on the ‘Troubleshoot’ option after booting the system.
- Choose the ‘Advanced’ option. Then, go to the Startup Settings.
- Tap on the Restart button.
- After rebooting the machine, you need to hit the F4 key from the keyboard to enable the Safe Mode.
- When your computer starts to run in Safe Mode, then navigate to the location where you have saved the downloaded update. Normally, most of the user saved this file on the location ‘C:\Windows\ SoftwareDistribution\Download.’
- Now, you have to remove all the contents of the Download folder.
- Reboot the system into normal mode.
- Then, you have to go to Settings. Tap on the ‘Update & security’ option.
- Choose the ‘Check for updates’ option and try to run the update process again.
Now, you should try to update the Windows OS to check whether the problem is fixed or not. If the error still exists, then move on to the next method.
Solution 3: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter is another in-built tool of Windows Operating System that helps its user to troubleshoot the error. If it doesn’t, then it still can help you to determine the steps to take further. To use the Windows update troubleshooter, you should follow the steps given below:
- First, you have to navigate to the Start menu.
- There you will see the gear-shaped Settings icon. Tap on it.
- Navigate to the ‘Update & Security’ section.
- Now, you need to tap on the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Next, you have to search for the troubleshooting type that you want. Scroll down the list of troubleshooting types. Choose the troubleshooting type and tick the ‘Run the Troubleshooter’ box.
- Now, wait for a few seconds until this process completes.
- After finishing this process, you need to restart the system to save the changes.
Now, you need to check whether the error persists or not. If you see that the error is still showing, then perform the methods given below.
Solution 4: Uninstall the Peripheral Drivers
Windows 10 update issues and legacy driver problems are some of the common issues faced by several users. Such an issue always prevents the system to install the latest update properly. Furthermore, it also leads to stability problems of the system as well as creates problems like system crashes and other errors. To solve this issue, you should perform the steps mentioned below:
- First, move the cursor to the taskbar and tap on the Search icon.
- Then, type ‘create a restore point.’ Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command.
- Now, you have to navigate to the System Protection tab. Scroll down the list and choose the last option ‘Create’ from the list.
- Next, you have to enter the restore point description and tap on the Create button.
- Again, navigate to the taskbar and right-click on the Start logo.
- Choose the ‘Device Manager’ option from the list.
- Then, you have to disconnect all the external devices that are connected with the system. But, don’t disconnect the mouse and keyboard.
- Navigate to the drivers of the external devices that you have unplugged. Then, you have to uninstall them one by one. Select them and right-click on any device. Choose the ‘Uninstall’ option from the list.
- Now, you have to restart the system and attempt to install the latest updates.
- After completing the updating procedure, you need to reinstall the peripheral drivers that you removed.
After that, check that the error 0x8024200d is still showing or not. If the issue persists, then go to the solution given below.
Solution 5: Uninstall the Third-party Antivirus
Sometimes, the third-party antivirus software can also conflict with the latest updates. If you have installed any one of them, then it can also delete or block the update files. Else, it can also conflict with the Windows Defender tool of the system. Hence, in this situation, you need to uninstall the third-party antivirus software before attempting to install the latest updates again. This can decrease the chances of anything going wrong with the system.
If you see that the error 0x8024200d is disappeared after removing the third-party antivirus programs, then it’s better to switch to a separate tool. Try to use such a tool that is designed especially for the Windows 10 Operating System and it needs to be compatible with the OS. But after uninstalling the antivirus program, if you see that the error persists, then you should turn it back to its initial position and perform the solutions discussed below.
Solution 6: Eliminate the Temporary Installation Files from the System
Now, you need to remove the temporary installation files from the computer to check if it can fix the error code 0x8024200d. To perform this, you need to follow the steps provided below:
- At first, you have to hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to launch the Run Command box.
- Then, type ‘cleanmgr’ on the Run Dialog box and hit the Enter from the keyboard. Else, if you prefer, you can also tap on the OK button.
- When it will open the Disk Cleanup, then you have to choose the ‘C: drive. Tap on the OK button.
- Tap on the option ‘Clean up system files.’
- Choose those files that you wish to remove from the system including the files mentioned below:
- Recycle Bin
- Temporary Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Previous Windows Installation
- System error memory dump files
- Windows Setup temporary files
- Temporary Windows installation files
- Now, tap on the OK button and then tap on the ‘Delete Files’ button.
- Next, you have to restart the system to save the changes.
After that, try to update the latest update to check whether the issue is resolved or not. If the error still exists, then move on to the solutions below.
Solution 7: Restart the Components of Windows Update
Now, you should try to restart the Windows update components to check if it can solve the error 0x8024200d. To perform this, you need to follow the steps stated below:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Run the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Then, you have to run the commands given below. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard after each command.
1st: net stop wuauserv
2nd: net stop cryptSvc
3rd: net stop bits
4th: net stop msiserver
5th: ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
6th: ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 catroot2.old
7th: net start wuauserv
8th: net start cryptSvc
9th: net start bits
10th: net start msiserver
- Exit from the Command Prompt window.
- Restart the system to save the changes.
After that, you have to try to install the latest update of the system to check if the error is resolved or not. If the error is still not resolved, then move on to the final method.
Solution 8: Restart the Windows Update Service
After trying all the methods discussed above, you should try to restart the Windows update service to check if it can fix the error code 0x8024200d. To perform this, you need to go through the steps discussed below:
- First, you have hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to invoke the Run Command box.
- Then, type ‘services.msc’ in the Run dialog box.
- Tap on the OK button to run the command.
- It will open the Update window. Scroll down the list to search the entry of Windows update. Then, click on it.
- Move the cursor to the upper right side of the window and tap on the Restart button.
- Now, you have to wait for a few seconds until the process completes.
After that, you should try to update the OS to check whether the issue is resolved.
In the above post, we have provided some of the possible fixes to solve the error 0x8024200d. Hope if you perform the above ways in their respective order, then it will definitely help you to put an end to this bug. After successfully implementing the above methods, if you still face any kind of difficulties, then you can connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this guide.