Microsoft is the largest tech giant in the field of technology lately. Its advanced features and facilities make Microsoft the best one in the mentioned domain. One of the primary products of Microsoft is the Windows Operating System. This OS has many versions and updates. The recent one is the Windows 10. This is one of the best OS till the days. Many users prefer Windows 10 for its easy interface and durability. After upgrading Windows 10, you may find that there are lots of problems. In this updated version, there are many issues which you can see. One of the most encountered problems is when you trying to close the device repeatedly, but it doesn’t shut down. If the trouble is too much to handle, here’s what you can do about them. However, enlightenment on the underlying reasons would help you deal with the problem in a better way.
Some More Examples Of This Problem
- PC won’t shut down with power button- Sometimes the power button is affected on this problem. When users are trying to close your PC by pressing the power button, they attach with this issue. But it is removed easily.
- PC won’t shut down keeps restarting- According to this issue, uses repeatedly restarts the device. But the device doesn’t work in a proper way.
- PC won’t sleep, turn off- This is happening for incorrect power settings. You should change your power settings. So you can resolve it easily.
- The Device won’t close when the lid is closed- The issue is happened because of the closing lid. When you are getting the closed lid, it is happening. Though it a small problem and we fixed it completely.
Common Reasons Behind Windows 10 Won’t Shut Down
Here are some causes which you find quite handy before going to the fix of the problem. Nevertheless, it is good to solve it quickly. So, here they lie:
- Outdated Windows.
- Windows System Files.
- Unbidden running applications since startup.
- Fast startup.
- The taskbar doesn’t work properly.
- Recovery problem.
Fix: Can’t Shut Down The Computer In Windows 10
Method 1: Force Shut Down
This is the easiest way to get rid of the error. So, you should force your device to turn off before you need to fix it for a long time.
- Enter the power button and hold it for sometimes.
- Then, eliminate all power connection like a battery, the power cord, cable for 5 minutes.
- Now, you open your computer and shut down normally.
Method 2: Install Pending Windows Update
You need to check that your Windows system is not outdated because it affects the blue screen of death error. Following these steps, you recover this.
- Type ‘Update’ in search option by clicking ‘Start’ menu.
- Enter ‘Check for update’ option for daily updates.
- If any updates are available, click on ‘Install updates’.
- Restart your device.
Check once, if the error is solved if not follow the below methods.
Method 3: Disable Fast Startup
Fast Startup gives a faster boot. You start this process which doesn’t close your computer totally. Go through given steps to disable it.
- First of all, search ‘Power options’ from ‘Control panel’ and open it.
- Select ‘Choose what the power button does’ to the left side.
- Additionally, choose ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’ option from a list.
- After unchecking ‘Turn on fast startup’ button tap on ‘Save changes’.
Method 4: Repair Windows System Files
There is some problem with Windows system files. Then, these steps help us to come out from a shutdown problem.
- Firstly, search ‘cmd’ in the start menu and head over the Command Prompt folder.
- Then go to the ‘Run as administrator’ by clicking it.
- For giving the permission press ‘Yes’.
- Type ‘sfc/scannow’ command and click ‘Enter’ key.
- Check that your PC is closed easily.
Method 5: Run The Troubleshooter
Incomplete update version obstructs your PC from turning off. So, try to read the troubleshoot method thoroughly.
- First, visit ‘Settings’ app.
- Click on ‘Updates & security’ and then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Choose ‘Windows Update’ option and press on ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
- Now, start your PC again and look out your issue solved or not.
Method 6: Run The SFC Scan
System File Checker(SFC) is an application in Microsoft Windows that can detect and repair system file. SFC scan all injured files that effects on the error.
- On your keyboard, enter ‘Windows key + X’.
- Then, go to the ‘Command Prompt’ by taping it and choose ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- Write ‘sfc/scannow’ and tap on entering key on your keyboard.
- Restart your computer.
- If SFC can’t notice your problem, then go to Safe mode and run the system file checker again.
Method 7: Adjust Power Settings
If SFC doesn’t overcome the shutdown problem, you may alter a few power settings. Here is a description of the method. Hopefully, it will solve the problem.
- Head over ‘Power option’ from the start menu.
- Then, choose ‘Change what the power button does’ option from the appeared window.
- Select ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’ before unchecking ‘turn on fast startup’ option. Then, press ‘Ok’ to finish the process.
Method 8: Perform A Clean Boot
Sometimes the error can be detected by a clean boot.
- Press Windows key and R both and type ‘msconfig’.
- Then, click ‘Ok’ button.
- When a system configuration window appears on the screen, then tap on ‘Selective startup’.
- Go to the service section for checking ‘hide all Microsoft service’ option. Press ‘Disable all’ to disabling.
- Then, go to the ‘Startup’ section and click ‘Task manager’.
- Next, right click on each item from a given list and choose ‘disable’ from the menu.
- Go back to the system configuration window and select Apply’ and ‘Ok’.
Method 9: Scan For Viruses
The scan can be reliable for secure your computer. Use antivirus for scanning to get rid of this error. After scanning, the injured files are detected there and remove it from your PC. Lastly, restart your computer.
If you have antivirus software, then you can scan by using Easy recovery essentials.
- First, download Easy recovery essentials.
- Boot up your system from this application.
- When it is running, choose ‘virus scanner’ and click ‘ok’.
- Then scan your device and after processing restart your computer.