Windows 10 Anniversary update includes a large number of features for the external as well as for the in-build webcams. If you have recently downloaded and installed Windows 10-Anniversary, then you may face Webcam not working after windows 10-anniversary update issue. You will note that the Webcam won’t start or turn on or freezes without any notification. This is a common problem and you need to resolve it at the earliest. In this guide, you get to know about some methods by which you can easily fix this issue.
Effective Fixes: Webcam not Detected in Windows 10
Here are some essential steps by which you can resolve this issue, without much effort. Just follow the fixes.
Fix 1: Windows Registry Edit
Sometimes this error may occur because of an incomplete installation of the latest updates for Windows. You can overcome this issue by editing the Windows registry. To perform this step:
- Open Run box from the Search bar. For shortcut press Windows logo + R key from the keyboard.
- In the run dialog box, type ‘regedit’ and click on OK button, to launch the Windows registry.
- Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then, click on SOFTWARE. Select the Microsoft option, choose ‘Windows Media Foundation’ and click on ‘Platform’.
- After that, right click on the Platform folder, then select New and click on DWORD (32 bit).
- Then, give the value name “EnableFrameServerMode”.
- Right click on the value and select the Modify option. In the value data, set the value as ‘0’.
- After that, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then, click on SOFTWARE. Select the Microsoft option, choose ‘Windows Media Foundation’ and click on ‘Platform’.
- Then, repeat the step, if you have a 64-bit version of Windows.
- Now, restart your PC to update these changes.
You have successfully edited the Windows registry. This may fix your problem, if not, then you can try the next step.
Fix 2: Update the Webcam Drivers
Outdated Windows 10 drivers can also be responsible for Webcam not working error. Go through the step by step procedure to update the webcam driver.
Step 1: Detect the Webcam Drivers
Launch the Update Drivers window. Then, click on the Scan option, to scan all the webcam drivers.
Step 2: Update Webcam Drivers
All the missing, outdated or corrupted will be listed after the scanning process. Now, click on the Repair option to fix the webcam drivers. Now, click on the Update option, to download and install the most recent version of the Webcam drivers.
Step 3: Reboot Your PC
Finally, restart your PC to save the above changes and check whether the webcam not working Windows 10 error persists.
Fix 3: Remove the Windows Cache Files
Sometimes, this problem may arise due to excessive storage of cache files. So, whenever you get this type of error, at first remove all the unnecessary Windows cache files. To perform this step:
- At first, go to the Search option, type ‘Disk’ and hit the Enter key.
- Then, you will see an option “free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files” below the Setting tab.
- Now, click on the Run Disk Cleanup.
- From that option, select the unwanted files which you want to delete.
Now, check for the skype webcam not working error. If it still occurs, then follow the next step.
You can fix this error by going back to the previous version of Windows 10. To do it:
- Click on the Start menu, then go to the Setting option.
- After that, open the ‘Update and security’ option.
- Now, from the left side, click on the Recovery option.
- Under the ‘Go back’ tab, click on the ‘Get started’ option.
By following the above instructions you can easily go back to the previous version of Windows 10. Now, check that the Webcam is working properly or not.
The above article gives you a brief idea about the problem Webcam not working after windows 10-anniversary update. Hopefully, the fixes mentioned above will help you to fix this problem. If you have any further question, then post it in the comment section.