Users encounter SteamVR error 308 on their system when this SteamVR application fails to start. This error code comes with a message reading as:
StreamVR wasn’t able to start because of unknown reasons. (Error: Unknown Error (308)).
Ths error code can appear on the initial installation or even when you are regularly using it.
The SteamVR generates temporary files in a particular directory. If those files are damaged or corrupted, then you may get to see this error code on the system.
Apart from that, this error message shows up when the installation drive is modified or the information is shifted to other locations.
If you are looking for the solutions to resolve this error on the Steam VR application, then this article provides the relevant details. Here, we are going to share some effective solutions which will help you to get rid of this error code from the system.
Reliable Solutions to Solve SteamVR Error 308
In this section of the article, you will get to know the guiding steps that you can use on your computer to eliminate the SteamVR error 308.
Go through the solutions and apply them accordingly to fix this error in no time.
Solution 1 – Granting Elevated Access
With all Windows-based applications, you need to give them more access so they can take full control of your computer’s resources and use them to work.
If you have not provided extended access to SteamVR, then it cannot be initialized. Go to the properties of the executable file and give permission.
- Press the Win + E buttons to open the File Explorer window and then select the Local Disk C.
- In the Local Disk C, go to the Programs Files. From that list, find the installation directory of SteamVR, and right-click on it. After that, select Properties.
- When the Properties window opens, take the mouse to the Compatibility tab and then mark on the “Run this program as an administrator” option.
After doing this, select the Apply button followed by the OK option to save the changes. Then reboot the system and then try to start the SteamVR.
Solution 2 – Ending all SteamVR and Vice processes
This is an alternative solution that we have provided to fx this 308 error on the device.
All applications have old services that do all their tasks. There are rare cases where the background process fails and doesn’t respond.
So, you have to end all the SteamVR and Vice processes from the system. To do that, follow the directions cited below:
- At first, hold the Windows Home button and press the S key to launch the Search Panel. In the Search box, type Task Manager and then hit the Enter button.
- When the Task Manager window opens, go to the Processes tab.
- In the Processes tab, locate all the processes of SteamVR and Vice, right-click on them one by one and then click on the End Task button.
After ending all these processes, try to open the SteamVR and then check if the error still appears or not.
Solution 3 – Removing Temporary Files
Cleaning the temporary files can sometimes fix the SteamVR error 308 on the system. To perform this solution, follow these instructions:
- From the keyboard, press the Windows Home key and E button together to launch the File Explorer window.
- When the File Explorer window opens, go to the following path: C:\Users\Strix\AppData\Local\openvr\openvrpaths.vrpath and right-click on it. After that, you will find the Delete button to remove them.
Once it is removed, reboot your PC and then check if the SteamVR starts correctly without any error.
Solution 4 – Uninstall SteamVR and Install it Again
Corrupted or damaged SteamVR installation files can also give rise to the SteamVR error 308 on your computer. So, you should remove the SteamVR and install it again. Go through these steps:
- First of all, hold down the Windows button and press the R key to launch the Run dialog box. Type appwiz.cpl and then hit the Enter key or select the OK option.
- When the Programs and Features window opens, scroll down the page and find the SteamVR, right-click on it. After that, you will see the Uninstall button, click on it to remove it.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, reboot the system. After rebooting the system, you have to install it from the official website of Steam.
So, visit the official website of the Steam. In that window, find the latest version of the Steam and then download it by pressing the Download button.
Once the download is complete, install it properly. To install it, follow the instructions appearing on the screen.
After completing the installation, reboot your PC and then try to start the SteamVR.
In this post, we have provided a step-by-step guide using which you will be able to solve the SteamVR error 308 on the system.
If you encounter any kind of problems while trying the fixes, you can leave a comment in the comment section below. We will get back to you with the aptest solutions. Or you can also take help from a professional.