Steam content file locked error is a common problem among users. This error appears at the time while updating any of the content files and applications in the system. The problem can occur due to the conflict between programs and steam. The disk becomes unable to read and write and the content file gets locked as a result. If you are dealing with this kind of situation, then this guide is for you. Throughout this article, we are going to present some of the detailed solutions that can help you to resolve the Steam error content file locked.
Effective Solutions for Steam Content File Locked Error
Here, in this part of the article, we are going to discuss the steps that will help you to fix the content file locked Steam. So, let’s have a look at the upcoming part of the article to know how to fix Steam content file locked.
Method 1: Repair the Damaged Files
You can get rid of the problem by repairing the damaged files of your system. Here are the steps that can help you to do so.
- At first, you need to close the Steam software and move to the Steam directory. You can find it on the default path which is C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam. Otherwise, if you have selected the custom location for the installation purpose, then you should go there.
- Thereafter, click on the folder logs option and open the “txt” file.
- Then, find out the Recent Errors option that you can find on the bottom of your computer’s screen.
- After that, look for the Root folder from the Mod section.
- Once you are done with the steps that we have mentioned in the previous part, Restart the Steam software. Then, move the cursor to the Downloads folder section.
- Then, click on the Update option to update all the necessary files.
Method 2: Reset the Winsock Catalog
The problem with Steam update content file locked can occur due to issues with the Winsock catalog. You should try to reset the Winsock catalog. This will help you to fix the issue. In the next part of the article, we are going to discuss the steps:
- At first, you need to press the Windows key + R at the same time from your keyboard. It will open the Run dialog box on your computer.
- Then, write “netsh winsock reset “ in the dialog box. Now, press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- After that, verify the commands, and then restart your computer.
Method 3: Relocate the Steam Installation and Game Files
If the above methods did not help you fix the Steam content file locked problem, then you should try the following steps to relocate the steam installation and game files. Go through the steps:
- At first, move on to the Steam client and click on the Settings option.
- After that, choose the Download option and click on the Steam Library Folders option.
- Then, click on the Add Library Folder and choose a new path to place Steam.
- These steps will help you to make the future path for the installation. Then, move the existing Steam files in the selected path.
- Thereafter, you need to exit from the Steam software.
- At the next step, move on to your present Steam directory which is default is: C: \Program Files \Steam.
- Furthermore, proceed with the next step by Deleting all the files and folders. But remember, never delete the Steam Apps and User Data folders, and the EXE folder from your computer.
- Once you are done with the steps, cut all of the folders and then paste it to another directory.
- Then, open the Steam software and re-login with the software.
If you face any problem while moving the steam folder or at the time of opening the Steam software, then the following steps will help you:
- At first, close the Steam software.
- Then, you will need to browse to that location where you have placed the Steam software.
- After that, move the Steam Application folder from that directory to your desktop.
- Thereafter, remove the previous Steam settings from your computer by uninstalling the Steam software.
- Then, reinstall the Steam software again to your computer at its previous location.
- Now, move the Steam Application folder to the new Steam directory. This will help you to copy all the game content, your saved games, and settings on your computer.
- Now, you will be able to open the Steam software. Enter all the credentials.
- Then, check the integrity of Steam game files and check if the problem is resolved or not.
Method 4: Disable the Security Software
You can try to disable the security software of your computer. Sometimes, third-party security software can cause trouble. To disable the security software, open it first. Then, go to its Settings and click the Disable/Uninstall option. Now, follow the on-screen instructions.
Method 5: Check the Integrity of the Game Files
Here is another method that can help you to get rid of the problem with content file locked Steam. You should check the integrity of the game files to resolve the problem. The following steps will help you to do so:
- At first, you will need to restart your computer and then open the Steam software.
- Thereafter, move on to the Library section and right-click on the game which is causing the trouble.
- After that, click on the Properties option and navigate to the Local Files tab.
- Once you are done, click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files option and check your system to see if the problem still remains the same or not.
Wrap it up
In this article, we have tried to provide you with all the possible solutions that can help you to fix the Steam content file locked issue. If you have any more questions regarding this topic, then post it in the comment section.