Skype viruses are not new and have arrived a long time back. They were sending links like the Baidu links and Goog.gl links. Both of these were responsible for sending fake profile pictures as well as attachments to the contacts of the Skype user.
Lately, Skype customers have reported that their contacts have received spam instant messages from them without their knowledge. This is basically a Skype virus which is sending messages automatically.
However, if you are facing this issue, do not stress out. This is because, in this article, we are going to discuss the Skype virus and show you some easy ways to get rid of it.
How to Fix Skype Virus Sending Messages Automatically?
Skype viruses can be quite scary and can cause considerable issues for users. However, there are distinct ways by which you can get rid of it without any hassle. To be more precise, we have listed some of the removal processes in this segment. Follow each of them for a successful fix.
Solution 1: Scan for any Malware
Many times, the cause of this error can be related to certain malware. Thus, make sure to eliminate this possible threat by any efficient third-party antimalware tool or Windows in-built Windows Defender to undergo a deep scan and get rid of all malicious software.
This is how you can perform a malware scan with Windows Defender.
- First of all, open Windows Defender from the taskbar notification and choose “Virus & Threat Protection”.
- Now, select Scan options and then go to Windows Defender Offline Scan. Select Scan Now.
- This will initiate a system restart and the scanning process will begin.
Solution 2: Password Reset and 2-step Verification
Resetting the password of the Microsoft account linked with Skype has helped the users to get rid of this Skype virus easily. However, make sure to set a 2-step verification to prevent future infiltration. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Open the browser and move to the Microsoft Account for the web. Now, sign in with the Microsoft Account for Skype.
- Select Security from the menu and click on “Change Password”. Make sure to enter a strong password including uppercase as well as lowercase letters, signs, numbers.
- Now click on “Update your security info” for added security. This is the 2-step verification which is highly recommended. Confirm the changes.
Solution 3: Inform and Block the Contact
If you are facing a situation where the Skype virus is sending messages automatically then it is important to contact the person via the online version of Skype or through email. After that, it will be better to block the contact temporarily unless you get an easy way to fix it.
Solution 4: Reinstall Skype
If the steps stated above did not solve your problem then it is recommended to reinstall the application. This step is applied to both UWP as well as the desktop versions of Skype. Both of these basically needs a clean installation and thus you have to delete a certain XML file that contains malicious file spammers who are responsible for controlling the system. Here is how you can reinstall skype and remove the XML file.
- First of all, go to Start and uninstall Skype.
- After that, press Windows+R to launch the Run elevated prompt.
- Type “%appdata%” and hit Enter. Now, open the Skype folder and delete the “shared.xml”.
- Restart your system and reinstall Skype.
The steps mentioned above should solve the issue with Skype sending messages automatically, without any problem. Please let us know in the comments whether these solutions were helpful for you or not. Make sure to share this article if you liked it.