“Server IP address could not be found” is a major problem faced by the users. Sometimes, when trying to access a website on a browser, you may be presented with this error message. And, needless to mention that you won’t be able to access the site you want to. Most of the time it occurs if there’s an issue with the browser’s host cache or if there is any problem with the configuration of the DNS servers. No, matter whatever the case is, many users are able to fix the problem with the help of a few methods. That is what you can get from this article. This article will help you to clear your queries regarding this server IP address problem. So, study this article, till to the end, to fix this annoying error in no time.
What Causes “Server IP Address Could Not Be Found” Error?
There is no single reason behind the “server IP address could not be found” error. But the major cause remains that every single website available on the internet has an IP value. And this IP address is associated with a human-understandable domain name. When you are trying to visit a website, if the DNS server cannot retrieve the IP address, then this will be the reason for which you are getting the error. There are other reasons as well for which you are getting the error. Such as:
- DNS server settings problem
- Outdated system drivers
- A problem with the browser’s host cache
No matter whatever be the case, you will be able to fix it with the help of the methods explained below.
Methods to Fix “Server IP Address Could Not Be Found” Error
Here, we have provided the best possible ways to fix the “server IP address could not be found” error. So, if you get stuck with the error, then try the methods given below. With the application of these methods, many users have got rid of the issue. So, check them out.
Method 1: Delete the Files from the ‘etc’ Folder
This is the first method which you can try to fix the “server IP address could not be found” error. To try this method, first, you need to learn the steps for it. So, go through the steps and apply them as given below to fix the error.
- At first, press both the Windows and the letter E key simultaneously. This will get you the Explorer window open.
- Next, open the drive where your OS is loaded, which is probably the C:\ drive.
- After that, from the available folder options, open Windows> System 32.
- Here, under the System 32 folder, you will get a folder named ‘drivers’. Double-click on it to open.
- Then, open the “etc” folder and remove all the files from it.
And to remove the files, you need to click on all the files one by one while holding down the Ctrl key, to select. Alternatively, you can press both the Ctrl and the letter A key at a time, to select all the files. Once all the files are selected, right-click on any of the selected files and from the pop-up menu, select the Delete option. Next, click on the OK button, to confirm the file removal task.
That’s all! After completion of the above steps restart your computer and then open a browser to check if the issue gets solved. In case, the issue continues to appear, then try the next method.
Method 2: Clear Browser’s Host Cache
If after removing the files from the “etc” folder as explained above, if the error still exists, then try to remove the browser’s host cache, which may fix the problem. And the steps to follow for this purpose are as below.
- Launch the browser.
- And then, press both the Ctrl and the letter H key at a time, to get the history window open.
- After that, click on ‘Clear Browsing Data’ if you are using Chrome. If you are using any other browser, the name might differ.
- Next, tick the checkbox for the “Cached images and files” option.
- Then, click on the “Clear data” button. Now, wait until the process is over.
- Next, restart the browser and check if the error still persists.
Server IP Address Could Not Be Found Chrome
If you are getting the “server IP address could not be found” error while using the Chrome browser, you can follow the below steps to fix it. And the steps are very simple to follow, so, check them out.
- At first, open the Chrome browser.
- After that, on the address bar enter the link as given below. And then press the Enter button to proceed to the next page.
- Now, here you will see a button as “Clear host cache”, click on it.
- Now, wait until the process is over. And then check if the problem gets resolved.
Method 3: Modify the DNS Server Settings to Fix “Server IP Address Could Not Be Found” Error
If there is anything wrong with the DNS server settings, then this may not allow you to access the internet and thus result in such an issue. If this is the case, then try the steps below to fix the matter.
- First of all, you need to press both the Windows and the letter R key at a time, to get the Run bar open.
- Then, on the Run bar, type ‘control’.
- Next, click on the OK button. This will open up the Control Panel window.
- After that, locate the “View by” portion, which is at the top right corner. Now, drop-down the menu for View by and select the “Small icons” option.
- Next, from the available options of the Control Panel window, click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Further, from the left panel, select Change adapter settings. This will get you the Network Connections section window open on the screen.
- From the Networks Connections window, right-click on the Network icon, which you are using for the internet connection.
- Next, from the menu list, click on “Properties”.
- Now, as the Network Connection Properties window gets open, under the “This connection uses the following items:” section, you will get an option as Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), select it at first. And then, click on the Properties button, which you will see under this window. Then, proceed with the further steps under the General tab.
- From the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, you will get two different sections, which are as follows. Select either:
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Obtain DNS server address automatically
Below are the further steps which you need to continue with.
1: Obtain an IP Address Automatically
If you find that the “Obtain an IP address automatically” checkbox is not active, then tick on it. And then, click on OK. After that, inspect to see if the issue is resolved.
2. Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically
In case, you find that the “Obtain an IP address automatically” checkbox is already active, then activate the “Obtain DNS server address automatically” checkbox. Next, enter the following details in the sections as follows:
- Preferred DNS server: 22.214.171.124
- Alternate DNS server: 126.96.36.199
And then, click on OK, to complete this method. Now check if the problem gets resolved.
Method 4: Update your System Drivers Manually
This is another way by means of which many users fixed the “server IP address could not be found” error. So, you can try it as well. The steps to follow for this method are as below.
For this purpose, at first, you need to open the Run bar. That you can do by pressing both the Windows and the letter R key at the same time. Then, on the Run bar type “devmgmt.msc”, without the quotations. After that, click on the OK button. This will open up the Device Manager window. Now, from the Device Manager window, search for the drivers, which is shown yellow in color. And for this, you need to expand every device which is present under the window. Once you find any problematic driver, you need to right-click on it and then select the Update driver option. That is all you need to do. After fixing the driver-related problem, if you found any, check if the problem gets resolved.
Method 5: Renew and Flush the DNS
Once you visit a website, the IP address of the website becomes familiar to Windows. This is the reason why the page gets loaded relatively faster for the second time you are opening it. But, if this cache gets outdated or corrupt, then this can prevent you from accessing the internet service and can result in this error. If this is the case, then to resolve the matter, you need to follow the steps explained below.
- At first, tap both the Windows and the letter R key together, to get the Run bar open.
- After that, on the Run bar, type cmd. Next, press the Enter, Ctrl, and the Shift keys together to get the Administrator: Command Prompt window open.
- Now, on the Administrator: Command Prompt enter the command as mentioned below.
- ipconfig /flushdns
- Then, tap the Enter key to apply the flushing DNS task. Once it loads a result, proceed with the next step as below.
- Now, on the same Administrator: Command Prompt, type the command as below and hit Enter.
- ipconfig /renew
- This command will start the renewal task of the IP configuration.
- After the “ipcong /renew” command does its job, next, you need to type the command as below on this same Administrator: Command Prompt and hit the Enter button to execute.
- ipconfig /registerdns
This command will work for the registration purpose of the DNS server.
- Once, all these above tasks are done, close the Administrator: Command Prompt and then reboot your PC and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 6: Use a VPN Service
After trying all the above fixes, if you still get the “server IP address could not be found” error, then you may try to solve it by using a VPN service. There are several VPN services available online, but you need to download the one, which is reliable for your device construction as well as a good service provider. By using a VPN service, you may be able to connect with the website which you want to open.
Mentioned above are the useful methods, which you can try to fix the “server IP address could not be found” error. Many of the users who get the error, resolve the issue with the help of these above methods only. However, if the methods fail to fix the issue, then you may leave your query at the comment section below. Try to mention the exact problem you are facing, and we will get back to you at the earliest.