The RPC server is unavailable error occurs when your Windows computer fails to communicate with other devices or machines using the network that you are using. If you are getting this error repeatedly, don’t be frustrated. Malfunctioning RPC services can be the reason, due to which you are getting this error. In case, you have disabled file and printer sharing, then you can face this issue. Problems with network connectivity is another reason behind this error. Moreover, due to corrupted registry files of RPC, you can encounter this error on your device.
So, if you too are facing this error, and searching for fixes to resolve it, then you have come to the right place. Here, we have discussed the most effective and prompt solutions to fix the problem with RPC servers. Hence, go through this article thoroughly and find the fix that works best for you.
The RPC Server Is Unavailable: The Fixes
Here are some effective steps, with the help of which you can fix this error on your own.
Method 1: Make Sure Your RPC Services are Running Properly
You can encounter “ RPC server is unavailable” error due to some improper functioning of RPC service on each and every computer which are connected. In that case, you can follow the steps below to resolve the error on your PC.
- At first, you have to press the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time on your keyboard in order to open the Run dialogue box.
- Now, type “services.msc” in that box and hit Enter to continue.
- After that, in the services window, you need to scroll down, in order to find the items in the DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper. Now, be sure that their status is running and their startup is set to automatic.
Method 2: Check Your System’s Firewall
Firewalls can block traffic requests by the RPC, as a result of which you can encounter RPC server is an unavailable error. In that case, you should check your firewall configuration and see whether it blocks the network configuration or connection for RPC. In order to perform this task, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you have to tap on the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time to launch the Run dialogue box. Once done, you have to type “Control” and press the Enter key to continue.
- In the Control panel, you need to search for Windows firewall and tap on the Allow an app through Windows Firewall button situated under the Windows Firewall.
- Once done, you have to scroll down in order to find the remote assistance. Now, be sure that its communication is enabled.
Method 3: Check Your Internet Connection
You can encounter “The RPC server is unavailable” error if you have not set your internet connection in a proper way. In order to check your internet connection, try these steps:
- Press and hold the Windows key and the R key on your keyboard at the same time to open the Run dialog box. Here, you have to type “ncpa.cpl” and hit the Enter button to continue.
- Now, right click on the network connection and hit Enter to continue.
- Once done, you have to right click on the network connection which you are using and choose the Properties button.
- Now, you have to be sure that you have enabled File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
In this case, you can reset the file and the printer by reinstalling the network adapter driver. It will fix the internet issue and will resolve this error. So, try out these steps:
- At first, click on the Start button and locate the search bar.
- In the search bar, you have to search for update device drivers.
- Now, click on the result named ‘update device driver.’ You will be able to see a list of the installed device drivers.
- From that list, you have to search for the network adapter driver.
- Follow the onscreen steps, to resolve this error.
After completing all these steps, you will be able to resolve this error. If not, then follow the next method.
Method 4: Check your Registry
You should try to check your registry entries to be sure that RPC is running properly on your computer. In order to check it, you have to follow the steps which are mentioned below. But before you start this process, take note that, tweaks with registry entries can bring about unexpected errors on your computer. So, it is recommended to create a system restore point. Backup your registry entries before you start this process.
- At first, you have to log in to your Operating System as an administrator.
- Once done, you have to tap on the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time to launch the Run dialogue box. Then, type “regedit“ and press Enter to continue.
- Now, the registry editor will open on your device, and you have to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcSs. In case, you do not see anything, then you need to reinstall the Windows version which you are using.
- In case, you notice that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was not correctly set, then you can edit the start registry key in RpcSs path. Once done, you have to double click on the start button to edit this value. You have to set its value data to 2.
- Now, you have to navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DcomLaunch. Now, check if there is any item missing. In case, you notice that DCOM Server Process Launcher was not correctly set, you need to double click on the start registry key to edit its value. You have to set its data to 2.
- Once you are done, with these steps, you have to go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcEptMapper in order to check if there any item missing. In case, you notice that RPC Endpoint Mapper was not correct, you need to double click on the start registry key to edit its value. Again, you have to set its value to 2.
After performing these steps, if this error persists, then try to follow the next method.
Method 4: Reinstall Avast
You can also reinstall Avast, in order to resolve this error. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- At first, go to the Control Panel and set the View by section to Category.
- Once done, you have to tap on the Programs and Features button.
- After that, you have to locate the Avast antivirus. It will be situated under the name column.
- Once done, you have to tap on the Avast Antivirus-associated entry.
- Now, you have to tap on the Uninstall/Change button which is situated on the top menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Uninstallation process.
After completing these steps, hopefully, you will be able to fix this error on your own.
That’s all to resolve ‘RPC server is unavailable’ error. If you are aware of any other methods to resolve this particular error, then you can drop that method in the comment section. On that note, let’s conclude here. For more posts, stay tuned to our page.