PlayStation 4 or PS4 is a gaming console manufactured and marketed by Sony. This is a device to play video games primarily, but one can also watch movies, surf the internet and listen to music. Although this console has so many good features and functionalities, even then it can give various kinds of problems. One such issue, about which this article is going to discuss is the PS4 NAT type failed. This error can come up when you try to chat online with other gamers. There are various reasons for the occurrence of this glitch. Some of the reasons are if the network settings are not configured correctly, then this error can come up. Even if the ‘Universal Plug and Play’ feature present within the router is not active, then there is a possibility to encounter this error, etc.
About PlayStation 4 NAT and Its Types
NAT or Network Address Translation is a protocol that has a capability to translate the private to the public IP address and the other way round. This protocol is present on the PS4 console because of the online chat feature, which allows other PS4 devices to connect with one another. Also, NAT can inform you within a game whether it is possible to connect or not with the other PS4 consoles. There are all total three types of NAT –
- Open or Type One – In this type of NAT protocol, the PS4 is connected to the internet directly and not via any network gateway devices.
- Moderate or Type Two – Here the console is connected to the internet via a router device.
- Strict or Type Three – The connection to the internet is via a router without open ports or a proper DMZ setup.
Methods to Correct PS4 Nat Type Failed Error
In this section of the article, you will get many solutions that will provide some aid to simply eliminate this error. So, that you can play games on the PlayStation 4 console unhindered.
Activate the Demilitarized Zone Server within PS4
DMZ is a physical or logical subnetwork that disconnects a private local area network from the public or untrusted networks i.e. internet. This subnetwork exposes another network’s external-facing servers to the internet. If this DMZ is not activated, then you might encounter this error. So, the solution to solve this error, you will have to make the PS4 console as a DMZ host. In order to do that, follow the below steps carefully:
- First, on the PS4 console go to the network settings and then write its IP (Internet Protocol) address.
- After that, launch a web browser on the phone and then type in the default IP address of the router within the URL bar and then press ‘Enter’ to visit the router settings page. You can get the default IP address, username and password of the router, from the bottom of it or on the packaging.
- If a prompt pops up that asks to give credentials, then provide the default username and password. After that, to enter into the router settings page tap on the ‘Login’ button.
- Next, choose ‘DMZ’ option to open the menu on the settings page. This option is present either under the category ‘NAT’ or ‘Forwarding’ which is unique for different router devices.
- Next, in the blank area beside the label ‘DMZ Host IP Address’ provide the PS4’s one (IP address). Once this is complete, go to the right and press the button ‘Save/Apply’. Then, log out from the settings page
- Finally, restart both the devices ‘router’ and then, ‘PS4’ respectively and see if this error is still present or not.
Configure Network Settings of PS4 in a Manual Way
If the internet settings on your PS4 are not correctly set sometimes because of that reason you can encounter this issue. Now, the solution to solve this issue is to correctly configure the network settings within the console. In order to do that, first, you will have to see the settings of the network in the console. Now, if the network settings are wrong then you will have to manually configure it in the console.
Examine the IP Address within PlayStation 4
In this sub-point, you will get steps on how to get into the PS4 settings page and inspect its IP address. In order to do that, follow the steps below:
- First, go to the home screen of the console and select the ‘Settings’ option. This will open a new screen that has the same name as the option you chose on the last line.
- Within the ‘Settings’ screen, tap on the option ‘Network’ among the rest on the list.
- When the next screen i.e. ‘Network’ shows up, then choose the option ‘View Connection Status’.
- Another screen will come up, that has a heading ‘View Connection Status’. Here, you will get all the information about the network connection within the console, along with its IP address. Take note of that address.
Methods to Set the PS4 Network Settings
If the network settings of the console are not right, then use a computer that is connected to the same network as the PS4. After that, take note of network configuration and apply them to the console. Follow the underlying steps, in order to do that:
- First, within the PC tap on the combination of ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously to open the ‘Run’ dialog box. Next, on this dialog box, beside the label ‘Open:’ input the following text – “cmd” on the empty space. This will open a window called ‘Command Prompt, which has a black background and white text.
- Now, on this window type the command that follows – “ipconfig /all” and then, press ‘Enter’ key to execute. This command displays all the configuration information regarding all the networks.
- Now, from that list select the right network to which both these devices are connected to i.e. this computer and the console. Write down all the details of that network settings.
- At this moment, move the focus on the PS4 and then from the main screen select the ‘Settings’ option. Then, choose the ‘Network’ option and next ‘Set Up Internet Connection’.
- Now, on the screen that comes up, you can choose a single network out of the two options available, which are “Use Wi-Fi” and “Use a LAN Cable” according to your preference.
- Next, select the ‘Custom’ option to manually input the internet configuration settings onto the console. On the ‘Proxy Server’ screen which shows up next, choose the ‘Do not use’ option.
- After that, enter all the information about the network settings which you have noted from the computer and update it.
- Once this process is complete, then a message will be shown ‘Internet settings updated’. Then at the bottom, choose the button ‘Test Internet Connection’.
- When the test is over, then look at the value of the NAT Type and see if this error comes back or not.
Ways to Perform Port Forwarding for Playstation 4 Network
Forwarding of ports means redirecting the connection request from a certain port number and an address to another during the movement of packets via a network gateway, like a router. Basically, with the help of port forwarding once can increase the performance of a connection. Even, you can eliminate the PS4 nat type failed error by forwarding ports of the console’s network:
- First, go to the initial point of this section, then follow the second and third steps to get into the router settings page.
- Next, within that page locate and choose the section ‘Ports Forwarding’. Inside that section select the ‘Add’ button to input the custom forwarding ports. Those port numbers are as follows – ‘80(TCP)’, ‘443(TCP)’, ‘3478(TCP and UDP)’, ‘3479(TCP and UDP)’, ‘3480(TCP)’.
- After that, choose the ‘Apply/Save’ button and log out from the configuration page.
- Finally, restart the router and then go to the console and check if this issue is still present or not.
Procedure to Activate UPnP on the Router
UPnP or Universal Plug and Play is a feature available on the router, that lets the network gateway device to identify other devices present on the network and vice versa. If this feature is not enabled on your router, then for that reason you might get the PS4 nat type failed 2017 error. The simplest solution to getting rid of this error is to activate the UPnP feature on the router. To do that, follow the sentences underneath:
- First, visit the router configuration settings page from the web browser. Then, input the login credentials to get into that page.
- After that, move to the left panel and then choose the option ‘UPnP’. Then a new page on the right panel will open up, with a heading ‘Upnp Configuration’.
- On this page, put a checkmark on the option ‘Enable or disable UPnP protocol.’. This will activate the UPnP feature on the router.
- Next, tap on the ‘Save/Apply’ button to confirm the change in settings.
- Finally, reboot the router and then the PlayStation 4 devices respectively and inspect whether this glitch reappears.
You can easily mitigate the PS4 NAT type failed error by following each and every point on the previous section carefully. But, even though after following all the steps on the above section of this article, if you still are unable to remove this gitch. Then, do not worry a bit. Just provide the details of the problems, which you have encountered on the comment section underneath this page.