Most of the time, when you try to attempt printing a document in Windows 10, you find that you are not able to print until and unless your printer is online. So, after turning on your printer, usually, you have to wait for a few seconds for changing the status of your printer from offline to online. But this does not happen all the time. Sometimes, even when your printer is on and is connected to the network, your printer remains in the offline status and becomes non-operational. The printer offline Windows 10 error mostly occurs in the network printers. If you are experiencing this issue in your printer, then you are not alone. There are a number of users who are encountering the same issue and it’s quite easy to fix, and so, you don’t have to worry about this error.
Primary Causes Of Printer Offline Windows 10 Error
If your printer shows offline, it is because Windows fails to detect that your printer is online. It can be due to several reasons; some are listed below:
- Due to an internal error in your printer
• It can be due to multiple unfinished print jobs in the queue
• Because of the slow or unresponsive connectivity between the computer and the printer
• It can occur because of the outdated or corrupted printer drivers
• Any hardware related issue
Compilation Of The Best Solutions For Fixing Printer Offline Windows 10 Error:
In case you are dealing with this issue and want to fix printer offline error, then here are some of the methods that you can try to solve the error. If you succeed in diagnosing the exact cause behind the error, then you can directly opt for the specific solutions; otherwise, you have to go through the steps one by one to fix the printer offline error.
Method 1: Check The Connection Of Your Printer
The first thing that you should try to fix printer offline error is to check the printer’s connection. This is because one of the primary reasons behind this error can be any miscommunication between the computer and the printer. So, at first, you should check the printer’s connection with your PC. You can do so by following the steps described below:
• At first, power off and then power on your printer and wait for sometime
• Then, you have to check the connection of your printer. If you find that your printer is connected via any wired network, then ensure that it is well connected to the Ethernet port. Also, make sure that you get to see the network signal flashing on your printer.
• On the other hand, if your printer is connected via any wireless network, then check your printer and its connectivity with the PC network. If you see the lit-up wireless icon on your printer, then it clearly indicates that your printer is properly connected to the computer.
Method 2: Restart The Print Spooler Service
If the print spooler service is not working well, then undoubtedly your printer will refuse to work. You have to restart it in order to fix the printer offline issue, but before that, you have to check whether the print spooler service is turned off or is running. Then, you can perform the following steps to restart it:
• Press the Windows key + R simultaneously on your keyboard and then, go to the search box
• There, you have to type services.msc and then hit the Enter button
• Next, press the P key on your keyboard to locate the print spooler item and check whether the status is running
• If you don’t find the status here, then you can right-click to find the print spooler service
• After that, click on the Start button to restart this service.
This can easily solve the printer offline windows 10 error, but still, if the error recurs, then apply the next method.
Method 3: Add Another Printer
It is important to note that you can apply this method if and only if your printer is connected wirelessly. You have to set a manual IP address for your printer and add a port on your PC to match. You can find out the IP address of your printer from the printer’s manual or from the manufacturer’s website.
• At first, you have to press the Windows key + I simultaneously on your keyboard
• Then, click on the Devices option and select the “Devices and printers” option
• After that, right-click on your printer and choose the “Printer properties” option
• Next, click on the Ports tab and select the “Add Port” option
• Thereafter, you have to choose “Standard TCP/IP Port.”
• Then, click on the “New Port” option and choose Next
• Now, you have to type in the IP address of your printer and click on the Next option.
Method 4: Check The Status Of Your Printer
You need to ensure that the status of your printer is error-free because sometimes, the auto-updated printer driver might change your printer settings and that too without notifying you. So, in order to check that, you have to follow these steps:
• At first, turn off your printer and then turn it on again
• Press the Windows key + I simultaneously on your keyboard and then click on “Device”
• After that, you can choose the “Devices and printers” option and right-click the icon that has a green check-mark
• Then, click on the option “See what’s printing.” On the other hand, if you find a grey icon and that too without any green check-mark, then you have to right-click on the icon.
• Next, click on the “Set as Default printer” option and right-click on it to see what’s printing
• After that, click on the “Printer” option. There, if you find any tick next to the options “Use Printer Offline” and “Pause printing,” then you have to remove the ticks by clicking on them.
Method 5: Update The Printer Driver
Updating the printer drivers is another workable way to fix printer offline error. There are, in general, two ways in which you can update the latest version of the correct drivers for your printer. Either you can update your printer driver manually by visiting the manufacturer’s website or you might opt to do it automatically by downloading and installing the appropriate third-party tools.
Hope that this guide will help you in solving the printer offline Windows 10 issue. But if the problem persists even after applying all these methods and if you need assistance regarding the printer offline issue, then get in touch with an expert for recommendations and services.