Windows users have complained about their systems likely crashing now and then. Additionally, there’s a blue screen along with the message that says, ‘PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA’.
Mostly it makes the Windows device restart, and no doubt, the issue is very annoying. According to PC experts, a malfunctioning driver can trigger the issue.
However, that’s not the single reason behind the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. Memory errors such as defective or displaced RAM, antivirus software, corrupted NTFS volume can trigger the same consequence.
Let’s check how you can overcome the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error on your Windows device.
Create a Page File
Windows utilises disk space on your PC to run and speed up the system. Additionally, it has to create a page file to easily get speedy access to the system.
You need to disable the corresponding page responsible for the service and check if it can resolve the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA issue.
Here’s how you can do this:
- Press Win+R to bring up a Run prompt. Type in SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe in the box and hit the OK button.
- A window named System Properties will open up, and you need to click the Advanced tab. Go to Settings under the Performance section.
- After that, select the Advanced tab from the new pop-up menu and uncheck the box next to the option that says, ‘Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers’.
- Now, choose the ‘No paging file’ option and hit the Set button. Proceed with OK three times in a row, and then click the Close button to quit all the windows.
- After that, you can restart your Windows system and repeat the same steps to bring up the Virtual Memory window.
- Choose the System Managed Size and hit the Set option. Check the ‘Automatically manage… all drives’ option.
You can click the OK button to finish the prompt and restart your device again. This should have deleted the corrupted page file from your PC. If you are still stuck with the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error, continue with the following solutions.
Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
A faulty hardware or memory piece might be leading to the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA issue.
If nothing is serious, then a basic hardware troubleshoot can eliminate the problem. Here’s how you can run hardware troubleshooting:
- Press Win+I to open Settings and select the Updates & Security option.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane of the window.
- If nothing appears on the right pane or you haven’t used a troubleshooter recently, click the Additional Troubleshooters option.
- Next, choose the Hardware and Devices option followed by the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ button.
Next, you have to follow on-screen instructions to complete the hardware troubleshooting successfully. Check if it eradicates the issue away from your PC or not.
Check out Device Drivers
Updating, restoring, or reinstalling erroneous drivers on your PC can solve the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. Your Windows device should have compatible drivers to ensure that everything is working properly.
Here’s how you can update your device drivers:
- Right-click the Windows icon and choose Device Manager.
- Click the display adapters and locate corresponding drivers.
- Now, select the particular driver and right-click on it.
- Select the Properties option and go for the automatic search option.
- Windows will initiate updating drivers, and once done, and you can restart your computer.
Additionally, check out the instructions to roll back or restore previous driver versions:
- Explore Device Manager and find the drivers responsible for the display, audio, and game controls.
- After that, right-click the definite driver and go for Properties. Go to the Driver tab and hit the Roll Back Driver button.
- Pick up your reason and choose Yes. Complete the process with a reboot.
And, here’s how you can reinstall device drivers on Windows systems:
- Explore Device Manager and locate the display, audio, or equivalent drivers.
- Then, click on it to expand. Select the responsible driver and right-click on it.
- Go to Uninstall, and you need to restart your computer.
- Next, install the drivers from the driver manufacturer’s official website.
Let the drivers install on your computer and observe if the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error has vanished.
Try Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool
Experts have confirmed that memory glitches can trigger the same issue. This is why it’s important to run the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool if you are still struggling with the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error.
Use the following instructions:
- Use the Search icon and type in Memory in the search box.
- Now, choose Windows Memory Diagnostics from the shown results.
- Hit the ‘Check my computer’s memory problem’ option.
- Next, go to Event Viewer to see scan results. The result should be listed under the System Log.
Prevent Automatic Paging File Management
The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error can be stubborn and might require this solution. Let’s check how you can disable the automatic paging file size management:
- Go to File Explorer by pressing the Win+E key shortcut.
- Locate This PC and right-click on it. Choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
- Next, hit the Advanced System Settings option and the Performance section.
- Click on the Settings option and move the cursor to the Advanced tab.
- Choose the Change option and uncheck the box next to the option called ‘Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers’.
- After that, click the OK button and give your computer a restart.
Check out if this solution eradicates the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA issue from your Windows PC.
Try disabling the third-party antivirus software, and that small step might work miracles to solve the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. Otherwise, you should update your Windows PC to ensure that your PC is out of incompatibility.
Go to Settings and hit the Updates & Security section. Moreover, click the Windows Update option from the left pane of the window and click the ‘Check for updates’ option.
If there’s an update available for your PC, Windows will start downloading and installing it. Your PC might restart when the update installation is done. Additionally, you can manually check RAM sticks inside your laptop.
If there are two RAM sticks, try switching them with each other and place them carefully. Thus, you’ll understand which one is faulty and needs a replacement. Make sure to clean the RAM sticks as well. Hopefully, this guide was helpful to eliminate the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error.